Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These pics have been knocking about for a while now. Apparently the tyre is going into production soon in South Carolina. If its not a wind-up, does anybody know anything about them?.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Those are called TWEEL tires/tyres

The Future of Airless Tires

The Tweel does have several flaws (aside from the name). The worst is vibration. Above 50 mph, the Tweel vibrates considerably. That in itself might not be a problem, but it causes two other things: noise and heat. A fast moving Tweel is unpleasantly loud [Source: CBS News]. Long-distance driving at high speeds generates more heat than Michelin engineers would like.

Another problem involves the tire industry. Making Tweels is quite a different process than making a pneumatic tire. The sheer scale of the changes that would need to be made to numerous factories, not to mention tire balancing and mounting equipment in thousands of auto repair shops, presents a significant (though not insurmountable) obstacle to the broad adoption of airless tires.
Because of these flaws, Michelin is not planning to roll out the Tweel to consumers any time soon. “Radial tire technology will continue as the standard for a long time to come,” said Michelin’s press release touting Tweel development. They are initially working on Tweel use in low-speed applications, such as on construction vehicles. The Tweel is perfect for such use because the high-speed vibration problems won’t come into play, and the ruggedness of the airless design will be a major advantage on a construction site. Michelin is also exploring military use of the Tweel.

Take a looksee here tempest:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tweel-airless-tire2.htm

·
Registered
728 Posts
The concept has been around for quite a long time.
I remember reading about in Popular Science years and years ago.

It's cool that this tire shows the part that holds the wheel center (holds up the car up offf the ground) is the tension from the upper portion of the tire rather than the compression at the bottom as many think.

·
Registered
595 Posts
They could make them look ok by putting a thin skin on the sides, to make them look like a regular tire.

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
After thinking about it... I don't think they would be a very good all-season or winter tire design. I envision snow and ice getting packed in between the spokes turning them into giant sized ice cube trays.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
After thinking about it... I don't think they would be a very good all-season or winter tire design. I envision snow and ice getting packed in between the spokes turning them into giant sized ice cube trays.
Very true. However, as far as looks go they aren't too bad, I can think of many things that looks worse....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Cool idea but I think these are years away from production into everyday cars the ride alone must be harsh. I would stay with my good old air filled ones :)

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hmmm, couple of things:
what happens to them in the mud or snow?
Wonder how much road noise is amplified due to design

1 - 14 of 14 Posts