Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a gearhead but souls are new to me, 2013 red, manual base, runs good but having eps check engine light issues
steering has no increased resistance at increased speeds, very dangerous on the hwy and the main code is p2159 Vss
no Ujoint issues, no damper issues rack seems tight was just aligned and lights have been hard reset and cleared multiple
times but come back. pulling my hair out, money is tight and dealers want a key and a blank check around houston
any advise, help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, got big plans if i can get the steering right,
wheel speed sensors all check out, had 2 speed sensors, same issues.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!!

Sorry to hear about your issues, hopefully you can find an answer to your problems.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the interest, it’s a 13 base 6 speed manual 1.6L
No oil leeks is what so ever and I did replace the vss with one from eBay
That was 7 bucks. Same issues. When I power the speed sensor externally and
Put a volt meter on it it changes when you rotate the shaft. Tires are 215 65 R15
Kia tried to blame the tires and also said there was something weird about the
EPS module but wanted me to leave the keys and a blank check.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Tried to post the diagnostic routine, but the PDF [285k] is too big.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link. The abs light has never came on or the vsc light. only one is the eps light and it throws multiple p2159 vss codes so the check engine light comes on as well and puts the eps into limp mode.
Only had one quirky issue with brakes on wet streets but no lights for it

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,407 Posts
Hey Red, does the 2013 have selectable steering modes (like a sport, normal, comfort?).

How about tire pressure? Sometimes overinflated can make steering feel squirrelly at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No mode change on the base, doesn’t even have a key fob receiver. The tire press or is 40. If you clear the codes and the eps light is out there is no variable speed resistance on the electric steering. It’s the same easy feel as when ur driving through a parking lot or at 60 on the hwy, when it goes into limp mode it has linear torque so it’s harder to steer in the parking lot which makes it a little safer on the highway for stability but it also limits your torque for acceleration in 5th and 6th gear which is also dangerous in Houston

·
Registered
279 Posts
Did you check the VSS output using a scan tool? Even the cheap ones should do it.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a harbor freight 50 dollar scanner
And that’s what I am reading the p2159 codes with. I’m getting multiple codes for the vss every time the lights come on.
I did drop the tire pressure to 26 psi and that defiantly helped with the squirly dangerous feel but there is still something affecting the eps system. I ordered an oem
Kia Soul vss to see if it corrects the system.
If not guess I’ll find a matching eps control module on line or in a local pick parts yard
And go from there. Until I figure it out I’m local only. Local Tecs keep pointing to the abs module but I never get any codes,lights or craziness from that system.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You should be able to read the actual speed the VSS is reporting with your scanner. If you look at the diagnostics, the ABS is last on the possibilities. I love it when they state "substitute known good ABS Module and re-test". Pretty bold for a $400 part you can't return.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep that’s the dealers for you. I’ll have to hook up the scanner I have and drive around to see if it gives me streaming data
I called Kia customer service since mine was cut in March 2013 and the recalls start July 2013. They said since it was so close
They would pay for diagnostics and a rental, but I would have to leave a key and a blank check for the rest of the process,
No thanks. I found a dealer in Arizona that was cool and tells me there are 2 options for eps modules on this Soul, it depends on the firmware version it’s running so my next step is tracking that down.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Red Said: "I would have to leave a key and a blank check for the rest of the process"

I have Never (and I don't use the word never too frequently) heard any self respecting business ask a customer to leave them a "blank check"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts