Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After releasing our SSD "Factory Style" roof rails for the 2014 Souls a while back, we really had no intention of producing another roof rail for the 2014's. That is, until we had so many customer requests for traditional long rails that fit in the factory "fixed" cross bar mounting locations (under those 4 little plastic covers on your roof trim). Folks wanted a rail that they could install / uninstall fast with no modifications whatsoever so they could take them off when they didn't use them and they also wanted to use aftermarket cross bars and accessories that could be spread further apart than the narrow factory mounts so they can carry long stuff like kayaks, canoes and ladders more securely. Thus the birth of a new product... our SSD "Hybrid" Roof Rails

We call these "Hybrid" roof rails because they offer all of the advantages of traditional long roof rails but also the ease of quick bolt on installation in the existing factory "fixed" cross bar mounts on your Soul with no drilling or modifications of any kind required. These go on and off quickly and you can use aftermarket cross bars spread up to 50" for carrying longer items...

These Roof Rails feature all welded, 100% stainless steel construction for strength and corrosion resistance and then are finished in a tough, black powder coat finish to blend with your Soul's trim and look good for years to come. These includes stainless steel mounting hardware, instructions and sell for $199 a set. These fit all 2014 Souls with the factory fixed cross bar mounts but will NOT fit Souls with a Panoramic Glass Roof since these Souls do not have the factory cross bar mounts

For more info, go to Kia Products or just PM me here if you have any questions!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Brilliant - so how much to ship to the UK? (Cheshire) ......

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Soul is rated at 165 lbs on the roof, these will carry that much. Usually the cross bars are the limiting factor although we do sell some Malone heavy duty AirFlow (aero) cross bars that are also rated at 165 lbs

·
Registered
1 Posts
I should have bought these instead of the factory racks. The factory racks go across from passenger to driver side and have a slight curve to them. This causes my roof mounted bicycles to lean slightly instead of completely vertical.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wind fairing-
On your site you have These will NOT fit the Malone SteelTop Cross Bars, but then you have the option of fairing that fits the steel tops. Do you have a pic of what the faring looks like on the steel tops?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
theo2thea... I just checked our website and the only option I see is for the Malone AirFlow cross bars, to reiterate though, the SSD wind fairing will not fit the SteelTop cross bars, the mounting brackets are made exclusively for the Malone AirFlow cross bars. Please PM me if I'm missing something!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm wondering if there's a way to carry a kayak. I have a 2011 Soul Exclaim. The dealer told me they don't recommend anything on the roof. Is there a workaround?

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
I'm wondering if there's a way to carry a kayak. I have a 2011 Soul Exclaim. The dealer told me they don't recommend anything on the roof. Is there a workaround?
Try reading the thread referenced below. Otherwise perhaps if you search on Kayak you will find many of the numerous threads on carrying a kayak on the roof. In addition to SSD, there are also the standard players like Thule that make carriers for kayaks and bikes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you'll look over the owner's manual, KIA says it's safe to carry things on the roof (just stay within the maximum weight rating). KIA dealers have no solutions for roof racks on the 2010-2013 Souls so I would expect that sort of response from them. There are other options, as Shaggy mentioned, Thule and a couple of other companies make some lighter duty, removable "clip on" type cross bars for the Soul and of course, we (SSD) make permanent mount roof rails too that will accept standard cross bars and kayak carriers. I used to carry 2 kayaks on my own 2010 Soul with our SSD roof rails, cross bars and Malone "J" style carriers without issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Soul base model, I have the clip ins where I am guessing you can snap in the OEM cross bars from KIA. Would those SSD roof rails work for my particular Soul instead of getting OEM cross bars?

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Soul base model, I have the clip ins where I am guessing you can snap in the OEM cross bars from KIA. Would those SSD roof rails work for my particular Soul instead of getting OEM cross bars?
Either of the SSD options will work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts