Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I just got a new 2011 Soul(automatic Plus) about 3 weeks ago, and it broke down on the side of the road today. The engine still ran (we could use the AC, which was good), but it wouldn't go forward without lurching, and it basically stopped shifting/ wouldn't drive. I've tried searching through the board, but I don't know what the problem is yet (the dealer is closed until Monday, so I'm carless :mad:). Does this sound familiar to anything you've read? I'm really hoping this is just a fluke :confused:

Thanks

ETA- no check lights came on, and the fuel/water levels were fine. I have an after market engine start added on, I'm not sure if that makes a difference)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I would hope it’s just a loose wire/connection or something

& Not. . . . .

Catastrophic :eek: transmission :eek: failure :eek: like it sound like.

;) Welcome & keep us updated ;)

:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would hope it’s just a loose wire/connection or something

& Not. . . . .

Catastrophic :eek: transmission :eek: failure :eek: like it sound like.

;) Welcome & keep us updated ;)

Yikes, knowing my luck it is. There was a terrible burning smell too. Is that a common issue?? Off to search transmission issues...

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I hope the aftermarket engine start didn't kill your soul!:eek:

Or at least get the blame for your issues!:eek:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
does this sound like anything you experienced? in addition to the attorney general's consumer complaint board, the nhtsa is a great place for research and also to lodge a complaint to help them help us b/c some manufactures are worse than others (like kia lol)... there are 71 complaints for 2010 soul models and about 8 so far for 2011 which is where the following is listed Search for a Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA...

Make: KIA MOTOR
Model: SOUL
Year: 2011
Complaint Number: 10395955
Summary:
VIOLENT SHUTTER VIBRATION, FELT LIKE BLOWN PASSENGER SIDE TIRE AFTER 30 MILES(DROVE OFF LOT) PULLED OVER TO INSPECT TIRES EVERYTHING LOOKED OK AND DROVE OFF WITH NO SHUTTER OR VIBRATION VEHICLE HAS DONE IT 4 TIMES NOW AT 1,000 MILES, HAS DONE IT AT 40 MPH-70 MPH, AT HIGHER SPEEDS VEHICLE IS DIFFICULT TO CONTROL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope the aftermarket engine start didn't kill your soul!:eek:

Or at least get the blame for your issues!:eek:
I know! The dealership contracted the people who installed it, they "threw it in" with the lease deal, so I really hope it wouldn't have caused the issue.

does this sound like anything you experienced? in addition to the attorney general's consumer complaint board, the nhtsa is a great place for research and also to lodge a complaint to help them help us b/c some manufactures are worse than others (like kia lol)... there are 71 complaints for 2010 soul models and about 8 so far for 2011 which is where the following is listed Search for a Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA...

Make: KIA MOTOR
Model: SOUL
Year: 2011
Complaint Number: 10395955
Summary:
VIOLENT SHUTTER VIBRATION, FELT LIKE BLOWN PASSENGER SIDE TIRE AFTER 30 MILES(DROVE OFF LOT) PULLED OVER TO INSPECT TIRES EVERYTHING LOOKED OK AND DROVE OFF WITH NO SHUTTER OR VIBRATION VEHICLE HAS DONE IT 4 TIMES NOW AT 1,000 MILES, HAS DONE IT AT 40 MPH-70 MPH, AT HIGHER SPEEDS VEHICLE IS DIFFICULT TO CONTROL
No, it felt like I was going uphill even though it was flat, when I tried to gas it it went to the 4 and screamed but didn't go any faster. It as really weird. After a couple minutes of that I pulled to the side of the road (and I swear the corvette that was behind me and passed me was laughing at me:p). The engine was still running, the AC was pumping which was good because it was HOT outside, but if I put it in drive and gassed it it wouldn't go, it's just kinda jerk a little bit. It was sad.

·
Registered
125 Posts
^^^ LOL Klas. My favorite complaint is the one where the guy whose *knee* allegedly *lightly bumps* the ignition turns the ignition off. Then he calls and complains that there is a defect because he cannot adjust his seat correctly.

Of course there are complaints there that are 100% valid.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
(and I swear the corvette that was behind me and passed me was laughing at me:p)
Corvette's break down too, who'll be laughing then . . . .

The smell, symptons, sounds bad & Very uncommon, :confused:
I've had my Auto for 2 years, no problems & don't remember seeing anything similar to your failure posted.

Kia should make this all right,
although it's allways a Pita to have things go wrong with a car,
especialy a New car, happens alot & not just with Kia's

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
^^^ LOL Klas. My favorite complaint is the one where the guy whose *knee* allegedly *lightly bumps* the ignition turns the ignition off. Then he calls and complains that there is a defect because he cannot adjust his seat correctly.

Of course there are complaints there that are 100% valid.
lol and my favorite complaint was posted here way back and concerns an employee blowing the whistle on kia for a faulty back door (van) opening at random that had been going on for many years that many customers had complained about but kia did nada until this employee filed a complaint... .. and are you referencing this last 2010 complaint or is there another one that includes not being able to adjust the seat b/c that would be an issue if knee is turning the car off while you are driving?

Model:
SOUL
Year:
Complaint Number:

Summary:
TL-THE CONTACT OWNS A 2011 KIA SOUL.(NA) THE CONTACT STATED WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 25 MPH ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A TURN, HIS KNEE SLIGHTLY BUMPED INTO THE IGNITION KEY AND THE KEY TURNED INTO THE OFF POSITION WHICH CAUSED THE ENGINE TO SHUT OFF. THE SIMILAR FAILURE OCCURRED ON A DIFFERENT OCCASION WHEN MAKING A TURN. THE VEHICLE HAD NOT BEEN DIAGNOSED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOT MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 725. JS

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes... that would be the one.

I used to have an Uplander and the power doors would also open themselves randomly - never while I was driving, just whenever.

My favorite was during a snow storm in my driveway and the thing was half full of fluffy white. I hated that car.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I used to work on automatic transmissions many years ago. Not up on modern transmissions, but the smell of burning, lurching and lack of drive sounds like a major transmission problem to me. Possibly front clutch.

5 year gaurantee. One of the reasons you bought a Kia right?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Im going with 5 minutes of looking to get perfect again

Try pulling the battery negative terminal and turn on lights for five minutes. Hook back up and start the car but first pull autotranny dip stick how does it look any oil in there? Reading those dip sticks is tough on Autos each car being different. Some one will chime in, try starting car then wipe down stick and insert to check.:eek:

·
Registered
330 Posts
The owner's manual should explain the proper procedure for checking the automatic transmission fluid level. Normally it is done with either the vehicle in park or neutral. Be sure you have the brake set when you do it.

The transmission fluid level should have been checked during PDI (pre-delivery inspection) -- and should be fine unless you sprung a leak, which would be pretty obvious.

You did check to see the emergency brake was off and the car could be moved by hand in neutral, right? The symptoms could also point to a stuck brake.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I would simply call the toll free number on my window for road side assistance and get it towed to the dealer. They should handle it ASAP and give you a loner until it is fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, checked the brake, turned car off and on again, tried to put it into drive again and no go. I did just call roadside assistance though and they towed it to the dealership, I should find out whats up tomorrow.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Keep us posted, it will be interesting to find out what's up with that. That is a real bummer, and taints the new-car experience and possibly the car for life. I'm sorry that happened to you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Soul got a new (rebuilt) Tranny at 5k. Sucked. Locked itself into 3rd Gear...towed to the dealer - they couldn't recreate - I rattled a fair bit of chains and magically they recreated it and got the new tranny put in. 10k on the new one and all seems well so far...

My experience on the side of the road was slightly different but similar to yours...hoping for your sake you don't have to have a new Tranny as well...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
My Soul got a new (rebuilt) Tranny at 5k. Sucked. Locked itself into 3rd Gear...towed to the dealer - they couldn't recreate - I rattled a fair bit of chains and magically they recreated it and got the new tranny put in. 10k on the new one and all seems well so far...

My experience on the side of the road was slightly different but similar to yours...hoping for your sake you don't have to have a new Tranny as well...
I assuming this was an Automatic tranny that got stuck in 3rd....confirm ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I assuming this was an Automatic tranny that got stuck in 3rd....confirm ?

The SportMatic or whatever Kia calls it - yes. Tried manually shifting out of 3rd up and down with no love there either. First time it did it - it did downshift back to first. I shut the car off - turned it back on put it in manual - shifted all the way up to 4th manually (while accelerating) and then it dropped itself back into 3rd and this time stuck there. It wouldn't down shift, wouldn't nothing. Even turning the car off and back on (like before) had no result the 2nd time it did it. No warning lights - nothing.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The SportMatic or whatever Kia calls it - yes. Tried manually shifting out of 3rd up and down with no love there either. First time it did it - it did downshift back to first. I shut the car off - turned it back on put it in manual - shifted all the way up to 4th manually (while accelerating) and then it dropped itself back into 3rd and this time stuck there. It wouldn't down shift, wouldn't nothing. Even turning the car off and back on (like before) had no result the 2nd time it did it. No warning lights - nothing.
Yike's !! Thanks for the details . . . .

But again, Yike's !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts