Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I traded in my Mazda for a shiny new 2012 (!) six speed and after logging about 400 miles it is time for an audio upgrade. I work for a reputable shop in my area and will be posting photo's as I go along. As of now I am waiting on 2 components to get in, and praying that Metra gets a move on with the double din kits. So the list is as follows for now:

JL Wiring front to back. This will encompass the RCA's, Speaker Wire, Power Wire, and all fuses ends ect. (I am a sucker for matching parts)
JL MHD 900/5 (Was in my Miata less than a week, Hence the MHD vs. HD)
JL C5-650's Front AND Back
JL 12W3v3-2 (Preferably in a custom fiberglass box under the plastic divider in the back)
JL Cleansweep (Just until the Metra Kit and new PAC Steering Module is worked out)

So Far I have the wiring mapped out and it looks like a pretty easy install (relatively Speaking). Hopefully the CleanSweep works as well in the Kia as it has in the previous customer installs we have performed. My only concern is going to be the space under the plastic tray, I would love to keep it if I can, and keep the install as stealthy as possible, but I am realistic. As soon as the kits are available I will be installing a new unit in the place of the stock head, but with the RIO my wife drives, it took nearly a year for the kit so I am not holding my breath. Considering the RIO kit was a simple plastic kit sans controls and buttons.

Check back for updates, it might take a little bit due to work etc.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,091 Posts
Howdy and welcome! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
State of the Union address:

Ok after testing with an RTA and talking with the audiotechs at JL, it has been confirmed that there is no real undefeatable EQ on the Soul sound system. This takes away the need for a cleansweep and puts all of this into a slightly better area than expected. I have decided to go with an Audio Control Lcq-1 instead of the cleansweep module to give better adaptability in the end system. I am working on a T-line for the highlevel inputs and a few other things before starting the install into the car. As of now I am waiting on the 70 and 71 harnesses from Metra to determine what wires were left out so I can replace them, the idea is to do a seemless install with no real cutting into the electrical system.

The front doors are gonna be a bear, but I have done it a few times on other cars with great success. Option two at this point is to add another grommet to the door, and pass the speaker wiring through that.

The sub location is up in the air. I have looked at methods to retain most all of the plastic divider under the parcel shelf, main idea being to cut the larger compartment out and build a box in there to the floor. Option 2 is the simple way ( I usually avoid simple), simply get rid of the plastic parcel shelf all together and build a box under the main cover as many have done. I am currently considering option 3 which is to build a custom fiberglass enclosure in the general area the stock sub would have inhabited, for a JL 10w3v3.

I am still not all that happy about the lack of kits for stereo installs for this car but it is forcing me to think on the lines of OEM integration instead of full system built, so this has been an adventure for me. I am seriously considering KEEPING the stock head permanently, hopefully thwarting any would be thieves. with all of the builds there would be minimal viability on the system and unless your REALLY looking for it, you wont see nutin.

There will be a few updates I am sure, before the physical install and I should have pics up of at least the equipment soon.

Thanks For reading,.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: Photo's eminent.

I bit the bullet and installed a JVC NT300. Too many sound staging options to ignore, Nav is a plus. I will be adding photo's either later tonight or tomorrow. I will have the system installed but not finalized tomorrow afternoon.

Jason

·
Registered
385 Posts
You don't like the idea of the stealthmod sub that JL makes?? it comes with the 12W0v3-4 woofer. If you go with the whole package like I did, it comes with a harness, front speakers, a 3 channel amp (XD line), 8 gauge wiring kit, and the speaker rings for the doors(have to drill out old ones and bolt new part in.The doors weren't very hard. The door panels are really easy to get off and I had the new speakers in, in about 20 minute for each door.

Did you read my threads about the JL slampak??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The issue is the W0 sub. Its a workhorse for sure but I wanted the 12W3V3 so I went with the HO box. The slampack is awesome, and its worth its weight, but I went with C5's front and back, and a HD 900.5 Amp.

Jason

·
Registered
385 Posts
I gotcha, just figured I might save you some time and money. I was thinking of the audio control lcq-1 too, but just don't feel like spending the money right now. I'll tell you though I have the XD500/3 JL amp, and I am very impressed with it. I've done a lot of car audio over the years and it's power to size ratio is fantastic, about the size of a paperback, plus it runs cooler than any amp I've ever seen. Worth every penny I spent on the JL equipment. I'm a total JL convert now.

BTW even my wife, who could care less about audio equipment and such, is in awe of how good and clear my system sounds. She loves it, and notices how clear all the instruments sound, can't get a better recommendation than that I guess..lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup,

My shop here is a JL authorized Dealer. We generally sell the crap out of about everything they make, and honestly I originally had c2's and an XD700.5 and loved it but needed to step it up for this car. It gets used as a demo vehicle and goes to competitions occasionally. I can tell you that after an 11 hour install today, that the c5's are freaking amazing. Also, although I originally planned on an LCQ, I went with a JVC NT300 Navi unit custom installed (by me).

Again the slampack is awesome. I installed one in a 12', and honestly for a fabbed system it rocks out. I could not on the other hand install one in MY car without taking serious flak from all of the guys at the shop, and it wouldnt have kept up with the system I installed. at this point I have about 15 hours of break-in and some fine tuning and I believe it will be a serious contender in SQ comps.

And lastly, god I wish my wife would take even a hint of interest in my stereo. She listened to the car tonight and said "eh, sounds like a stereo". Takes away from the several grand worth of equipment. She did the same with my B&W CM's.

·
Registered
385 Posts
B&W are some nice speakers. Always wanted to get some for my home theater but never could swing the $$. I guess if your looking for a competition type system the sub I have just isn't gonna cut it. It's enough for me though. Would have loved to go with the C5's. Sounds like you're building a killer system.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The whole slampak is about 1300, just the sub is 6-650 (sub is included). Are you saying you got someone to custom make a formfitted, handmade, fiberglass, acoustically tested box that allows you to keep the sparetire in your back cargo area, along with the subwoofers themselves included? or is it a MDF/fiberboard box that was glued together and then just a couple of subs thrown in..it's a night and day difference if it is. I could do the same for 250. No offense, just saying there is a big difference in the two.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HA! No, I was gonna custom make a box (again I am a certified installer), I went a bit of another route and installed a speaker terminal cup on the left side of my backend and have a JL HO 12W3 setup in the rear as of now. I had to take a break, my wife is preggars and hasn't been feeling well but as of now I have all of the equipment in, including the new JVC KW-NT800HD on the front end in a "CUSTOM" dash install. There is a little cleaning up to do for sure but I pegged 131 on the DB meter and have crystal clear highs and mids.

Don't get me wrong the slam pack is friggin awesome, it addresses a few areas that are lacking in the stock system and gives people a chance to experience the "entry level" JL offerings, but as of now my car is getting in shape for the audio show in datona and has about 5K installed so far without even getting into shadow boxing the amp etc. There is a HUGE difference between the C2 and C5 speaker lines and as well a marked difference between the W0 and W3 lines. The XD amps are amazing and honestly were in my miata before the purchase of the Soul, but I wanted a little better performance and went to the HD line there as well.

Do I suggest anyone acquire this god awful audio addiction? HECK NO, but I can tell you that staging in this car and usable space are both great and the acoustic characteristics lend to a clean SQ system with not much work. As soon as I have a chance I will post a few photos of the wiring and such for now, it needs work but I am in the middle of 2 other shop cars and havent had time to work out the shadow boxing or glass angle yet.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would have loved to do some of the things you're doing. While I don't mind spending 1500 or so to do a complete system, I just can't justify putting 5K and up into a car for just audio, especially since it will never be in any kind of show. I'm not knocking anyone who does, it just ain't going to be me..lol You are one of the few people who will probably spend that much on their audio system in a 15-18k car, if this was a mercedes forum maybe it would be more common. If you look at the systems alot of the owners are using, it's usually entry level stuff, alot of the times it's homemade with leftovers from another car, most consider my 1500$ system way to damn expensive already. I'm not knocking anyone or their systems, I'm just saying what you consider entry level is what alot of people consider the low end of the higher end. Most listeners would rather save that extra 4k and just not have as clean a system, that flatter frequency response, or low end extension isn't worth the extra 4k to most. I am excited to see your system when it's done, being an installer I'm betting it will look awesome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, I agree with you wholeheartedly. BUT I work in an audio shop, and get everything at wholesale. My out of pocket so far is about 2k. As for looks I am working on the dash, but most everything else is unseen in the car. We went with a HO box in the back simply because I need to be able to swap subs on the fly to show customers other options in JL's line.

To put it all in perspective:

We installed a system in a 2011 soul (!) 3 weeks ago that started with a LCQ1 running a stock UVO with 2 JX amps and the TR line of speakers and a single 12W0 and the system was great, all for about 1700 total. I can agree that most dont need to go ape sh!t on audio for a car that is cheap as all get out but the simple fact that its all 6.5's makes for easy xfer to another car down the road. Now in mine personally I dont mind spending a few bucks since it will most likely be in the coral till the wheels stop turning (2 kids and a wife) or I decide that I can afford a fiat 500 arbath.

Do what you can afford, and NEVER spend to impress. Buy what sounds good to you and be happy with it. I know plenty of people running sub 1000 dollar systems that sound great. I also know a few that have 4k morel supremo's front and back with primo 12's and audigy amps that blow my system out of the water. BUT for what I could afford I def will spend what I can to make me happy. Considering that there is a limeted aftermarket arena for these cars and I have plenty to spend on what I personally want.

I am glad though that you are as happy as you are with the slampack. JL did alot of research on that system, and it shows in the SQ at the end of the day.

Jason

·
Registered
385 Posts
Since you have alot of experience with the Cleansweep and LCQ1, let me pick your brain for a minute. I'm overall very happy with the JL stuff, but I want to tailor my sound more, the stock head unit does nothing to help, but I don't want to change it yet. Maybe down the road. I'd love to do something that would allow me to adjust and tweek it with a RTA meter, but that's just not going to happen, as I don't want to buy a meter and I don't have access to one. I planned on doing some pink noise tests with a CD and tweeking it with a SPL meter to get it as close to flat as possible, but that would require me to have some kind of equilizer already. Would it be better to just let the cleansweep do it automatically or should I go nuts with an LCQ1 and trying to tweek it all. What do you guys usually do in your shop. What would you suggest?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts