Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul !
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm the new owner of a 2015 Soul !. So far I'm really liking it a lot, but it's still very new (to me). It currently has 75,000 miles on the clock (almost exactly). When I purchased it I did get it with an extended service contract for 3 years/36,000 miles. However, I'm thinking of cancelling that since from what I can find these are pretty reliable vehicles. It has a good service history with regular oil changes and even the transmission fluid change at 60,000 miles, and I plan on keeping that up. It's also quite an expensive contract, $3500, which I know is very overpriced. Would it be worth keeping around since it's a higher mileage vehicle, or have people not really run into any problems with these (assuming regular maintenance)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
559 Posts

It is just a matter of luck. You may never need it, but a blown engine or transmission, or any of the $$ onboard computers fries, and it "could" pay for itself. If the ext warranty only cost you $1,500 or so, I'd say keep it. However, for $3,500, you might be better off putting the money in the bank. Is it a dealer warranty or a Kia nationwide warranty?

There is a history of the 2.0 engine dying and having to be replaced. Does this one have the original engine or replacement? If it's the original, I'd be more inclined to keep it, but Kia may replace it anyway for you. So many variables. Sorry.

When we bought our Subaru Forester last year, we upped the warranty from 3yrs/36K Bumper to Bumper and 5yrs/60K Powertrain to 7yrs/100K miles Bumper to Bumper for $1,500, and there are several $$$ onboard computers that would top that in one service call.

But $3,500? Hmmm....

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul !
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, from what I've read about the engine problems they are mostly only related to the 1.6 in the Soul and the 2.0 Turbo in the Sportage and some other Hyundai models. I do know all GDI engines can have issues with buildup if Top Tier fuel isn't used, but that's more of a general thing to be aware of. It was a contract offered at the dealership through a third party (Protective Asset Protection), and it unfortunately seems to be an "inclusionary" contract instead of the "exclusionary" variety.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sounds like one of those dealer warranties that sometimes aren't worth the paper they are printed on. And if the 3rd party goes belly up (which they regularly do), you're out of luck.

Overall, the Souls are very reliable, so if it was me, I'd probably cash it in and save it for a rainy repair day (if that day ever comes). FWIW - our '13 Soul Base 1.6 had 95K miles on it when we traded for our '20, and it still ran like new with no problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look at the contract for exclusions.

I bought a contract for a used Hyundai Elantra after the finance person said it would give us bumper-to-bumper coverage. After waiting for the contract to come in the mail, I finally called the 3rd party. They said I wouldn’t get it until a certain date - which was AFTER I could cancel with no penalty. They did email me a copy, and I found there were 3 (!) pages of things not covered. I cancelled immediately.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you keep the warranty, you are guaranteed to pay $3500 (!). If you cancel it, you might end up paying $0. Extended warranties are almost never a good bet.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,241 Posts
My understanding is most extended warranties only kick in after coverage under the Manufacturers Warranty is exhausted. Should you end up with a major drivetrain issue, such as a siezed engine that was more engendered to the 2.0ltr, you would more than likely have to pursue KIA for compensation.

Most extended warranties, like mentioned above, do their best to avoid paying for anything.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,051 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!!

I've never been a fan of extended warranties. I purchased one on a vechile years ago....never used it.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
320 Posts
Extended warranties are always expensive. Insurance is never a free lunch.

Curious though. Can you actually cancel it for a full refund? Or will you pay some kind of penalty?

Reactions: sube

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul !
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! After looking into it a little more I'm going to cancel it. The car is in good shape and doesn't have any issues so it's definitely more money than it's worth. I also found out the previous owner had a 10 year/100k mile extended warranty as well so I'm going to see if they can transfer that over. And yeah, if I cancel within 60 days I get a full refund.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Unless it is an extended warranty from the car manufacturer most extended warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on. MY advice is to put that amount in a bank account.If you ever need repairs you have that amount, and if not you are way ahead of the game.
the only extended warranty I ever purchased ended with the company going bust, which is about par for most of these companies.

Pat.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Thanks everyone! After looking into it a little more I'm going to cancel it. The car is in good shape and doesn't have any issues so it's definitely more money than it's worth. I also found out the previous owner had a 10 year/100k mile extended warranty as well so I'm going to see if they can transfer that over. And yeah, if I cancel within 60 days I get a full refund.
IIRC, the only way the 10 yr/100K mile warranty will transfer over to the second owner is only if the vehicle is a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm the new owner of a 2015 Soul !. So far I'm really liking it a lot, but it's still very new (to me). It currently has 75,000 miles on the clock (almost exactly). When I purchased it I did get it with an extended service contract for 3 years/36,000 miles. However, I'm thinking of cancelling that since from what I can find these are pretty reliable vehicles. It has a good service history with regular oil changes and even the transmission fluid change at 60,000 miles, and I plan on keeping that up. It's also quite an expensive contract, $3500, which I know is very overpriced. Would it be worth keeping around since it's a higher mileage vehicle, or have people not really run into any problems with these (assuming regular maintenance)?

Thanks!
CANCEL . Ok do what feels best to you . I am on my 3rd Soul and 50k trouble free on this one , 50k on the shadow Dragon , 115k on the 1st one . So far I had a front marker light bulb go out at 100k and I was not happy . Just out of warranty and you could only get the bulbs in a 2 pack ! Cost me almost 5 bucks ! ???
If all members suggested cancelling it , your engine would blow up tomorrow ...or not . I would say cancel it on my say so and then if you regret cancelling it you can always blame it on ol TwoSouls . (y)

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul !
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IIRC, the only way the 10 yr/100K mile warranty will transfer over to the second owner is only if the vehicle is a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.
Oh I was referring to a third-party extended warranty, the same company that the one I bought was from actually. Turns out they had cancelled it though, oh well! I'm not foreseeing any major issues with the car for quite a while as it's gotten a clean bill of health and seems to run great.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,588 Posts
CANCEL . Ok do what feels best to you . I am on my 3rd Soul and 50k trouble free on this one , 50k on the shadow Dragon , 115k on the 1st one . So far I had a front marker light bulb go out at 100k and I was not happy . Just out of warranty and you could only get the bulbs in a 2 pack ! Cost me almost 5 bucks ! ???
If all members suggested cancelling it , your engine would blow up tomorrow ...or not . I would say cancel it on my say so and then if you regret cancelling it you can always blame it on ol TwoSouls . (y)
Your Fuelly link doesn't work for some reason.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts