Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Soul EX Undercover Green
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, newbie Soul owner here. We just bought our first Kia last week. A 2022 Undercover Green EX. First ever new car too! I've always driven cars with 80K miles on them, so this is all new to me. We (Husband and I) had questions we can't seem to get answered at the dealer.

I've heard none of the dealer offered warranties are worth it, but Is the fidelity extended warranty worth it? The finance guy was trying to say it was extending the bumper to bumper including "all the electronics", but it seems it only extends coverage of certain electronic drivetrain parts, the ac, and a few other odds and ends? Theres something in the fine print about "guarantee.MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN: The failure of a Covered Part (as defined in VEHICLE COVERED PARTS) due to (1) faulty workmanship or materials supplied by the original vehicle manufacturer or distributor; or (2) a gradual reduction in operating performance as a result of normal wear and tear." So does that mean it covers wear and tear? I wouldn't think so but still.

Also, the dent protections and prepaid services options? I meant we live in Tampa, where people love to park next to you even when you are in BFE and throw their doors open. My last car was riddled with door dings despite parking at the end of the lot. We have comprehensive but sometimes they like to consider door dings a "collision" problem. And the prepaid. It seems like you don't save much if it's just for oil changes, but what do oil changes cost in these? My last car was around $65 for synthetic.

They said we can add any of these this week or next if we wanted, but not sure if we should pass or take.

Another question. The dealer marked the first service 8000 mile as complete in the service interval (timer?) and so now its saying we aren't due for 15,000 miles but obviously I will still need an oil change at the original interval. But I'm reading that that warranty starts from "first service" so is this shady? Did they make a mistake marking that off or does it take that 8000 miles away from my warranty clock? Can I press them to set it correctly? Can I get services done at a local shop instead of the dealer that's like 25 miles away and still have that count?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,194 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!!

I never had an extended warranty cover what was wrong. A big waste of money in my opinion.

As far as oil changes just follow the owners manual for mileage and type. If you have the local shop do the work, save your receipts and always use a KIA filter. I cut the side out of the box and staple the receipt to it along with mileage.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Your Kia new car warranty started the day you drove it off the lot and ends at 5 year 60k mile for bumper to bumper and 10 year 100k miles for the power train.

I’d avoid all these aftermarket warranty companies. More often than not they’ll find a way to deny the repair and it ends up being a waste of money like Buzz says.

Follow what your owners manual says for the maintenance schedule. I would follow the severe maintenance schedule for oil changes.
You can also change the computer reminder very easily so you don’t forget.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, newbie Soul owner here. We just bought our first Kia last week. A 2022 Undercover Green EX. First ever new car too! I've always driven cars with 80K miles on them, so this is all new to me. We (Husband and I) had questions we can't seem to get answered at the dealer.

I've heard none of the dealer offered warranties are worth it, but Is the fidelity extended warranty worth it? The finance guy was trying to say it was extending the bumper to bumper including "all the electronics", but it seems it only extends coverage of certain electronic drivetrain parts, the ac, and a few other odds and ends? Theres something in the fine print about "guarantee.MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN: The failure of a Covered Part (as defined in VEHICLE COVERED PARTS) due to (1) faulty workmanship or materials supplied by the original vehicle manufacturer or distributor; or (2) a gradual reduction in operating performance as a result of normal wear and tear." So does that mean it covers wear and tear? I wouldn't think so but still.

Also, the dent protections and prepaid services options? I meant we live in Tampa, where people love to park next to you even when you are in BFE and throw their doors open. My last car was riddled with door dings despite parking at the end of the lot. We have comprehensive but sometimes they like to consider door dings a "collision" problem. And the prepaid. It seems like you don't save much if it's just for oil changes, but what do oil changes cost in these? My last car was around $65 for synthetic.

They said we can add any of these this week or next if we wanted, but not sure if we should pass or take.

Another question. The dealer marked the first service 8000 mile as complete in the service interval (timer?) and so now its saying we aren't due for 15,000 miles but obviously I will still need an oil change at the original interval. But I'm reading that that warranty starts from "first service" so is this shady? Did they make a mistake marking that off or does it take that 8000 miles awof the cost of a new car.ay from my warranty clock? Can I press them to set it correctly? Can I get services done at a local shop instead of the dealer that's like 25 miles away and still have that count?

Thanks!
We plan on selling our new 2022 Soul XL before the 100K warranty expires. Trade it in for a new one then. The cost of a new engine is 35% of a new car.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
What might be called a Dealer Warranty is really not that at all.....the warranty on a new Soul is backed by KIA, not by any particular dealer.
:cool:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,988 Posts
You'll find most reliable sources all say to avoid extended warranties. They are designed not to pay you. The math is not in your favor.

You're getting a best in the business warranty from Kia. If it turns out to be a bad car, I doubt you would keep it beyond the 5 year bumper to bumper anyways.

Reactions: westslope

·
Registered
2022 Soul EX Undercover Green
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the tips and advice. We plan on driving it until its on it's last legs like my last car, which was why we were wondering. But everything everyone said makes sense. Yeah it was weird because the first 8000 mile service was already checked off at 27 miles. I think I reset it on the UVO app but not sure how to on the car.

What about an early first service? I keep reading where people get their oil changes done early on new cars. Anything to that?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,988 Posts
Thank you everyone for the tips and advice. We plan on driving it until its on it's last legs like my last car, which was why we were wondering. But everything everyone said makes sense. Yeah it was weird because the first 8000 mile service was already checked off at 27 miles. I think I reset it on the UVO app but not sure how to on the car.

What about an early first service? I keep reading where people get their oil changes done early on new cars. Anything to that?
You'll find people on both sides of the fence on early oil changes. Some argue it can remove "leftover" particulates from manufacturing. Others say that isn't a thing anymore. Short of having an oil analysis test done it's really what will make you feel better.

Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil | Edmunds

·
Registered
725 Posts
My understanding is that the modern tightness of ICEs means that an early oil change on a fresh off the lot vehicle is no longer necessary.

Undercover Green, eh? The names they come up with these days..... like..... Alien Green II

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the Soul.

·
Registered
725 Posts
We plan on selling our new 2022 Soul XL before the 100K warranty expires. Trade it in for a new one then. The cost of a new engine is 35% of a new car.
That is a great option for some people given their individual preferences.

The lowest cost option is to carefully maintain the vehicle and drive it to over 300K miles or more.

Buying a refurbished/remanufactured engine is most often the cost effective choice for a vehicle that is otherwise in good shape and has been well maintained. Same likely applies to the transmission.

If a vehicle owner lives in a snow and ice area or close to a saltwater coast line and allows the unibody chassis to rust, then at some point, all bets are off, and it is best to junk the vehicle. Or, disregarding ethical issues, sell it to an unsuspecting buyer who does not understand what they are buying .....

P.S. I am going to go out on limb here and say that the Kia corporation and owners would love all of you to drive your Souls to 300K miles or a lot more if possible. It means that over time, the company can charge more for new Souls.

If you are having trouble fixing ideas, think of Toyota and the price premium the brand has enjoyed over the past few decades. Relative to other brands, Toyota's reliability has been overall outstanding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts