Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 2018 Soul+ 2.0L which is consuming, not leaking, a lot of oil. I've racked up 85,000 miles of tollway driving and now have to add a quart of oil every 500 miles. Has anyone gotten Kia to fix this major problem? OBTW, love the car otherwise... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
How has it been serviced and how has it been driven?
Any of these forum suggestions implemented?

1. Use Top Tier fuel whenever practical.

2. Use synthetic oil.

3. Use 5W30 or 10W30 in warmer climates to reduce oil consumption/contamination. I

4. Change the oil more often than recommended by the owner's manual. Long service intervals may be a selling feature/perceived selling feature, but flushing suspended contaminants is cheap insurance. My first oil change was just under 3,000 miles and expect 5,000 intervals thereafter, factoring time, color and level.

5. Open it up on a regular basis. After FULLY warmed up, go to ~5,000 RPMs in second and third getting on a freeway.

6. Drive after starting. Avoid prolonged cold idle, unless needed to defrost windshield.

7. Change the PCV at ~50,000 miles

·
Premium Member
Co. 6900ft 2018 and 2012 Soul+
289 Posts
Here's hoping it's not a ring or something else going south !

Oh, and Welcome to the Forums Jimshoe .. :)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
There's no fix. It is a characteristic of the GDI engine. You can try all that stuff and it might slow it down from getting worse, but as the valve seats become carbonized the oil loss will increase. My 2013 with 160k miles is up to about 1 quart every 1-2k miles, despite using synthetic oil and top tier gas and having 95% long distance interstate miles.

The only real fix is having the valves cleaned. You can try replacing the PCV valve - that's cheap and easy - but your best bet is just plan on checking your oil and adding it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,396 Posts
Hi! I have a 2018 Soul+ 2.0L which is consuming, not leaking, a lot of oil. I've racked up 85,000 miles of tollway driving and now have to add a quart of oil every 500 miles. Has anyone gotten Kia to fix this major problem? OBTW, love the car otherwise... Thanks!
Welcome Jim. Glad to have you join us.

As you can probably guess, you are not the first one to bring up Oil Consumption issues. A good way to utilize this forum is to use the Advanced Search feature, located to the upper right of your screen by clicking on the 3 vertical dots.

That way, you can take your time and read what others have talked about (in length) and not have everyone re-live the topic for you. Explore as many topics as you want, even customizing your queries.

I went ahead and did an initial search for you (you're welcome). Feel free to join any of those conversations, add your own experiences as well.

All the best!

Search results for query: Oil Consumption

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
346 Posts
In addition to our Soul I also have a 2016 Chevy Traverse. Mine has used a quart in the first 1500 miles I have had it and from what I read in the Traverse forum and elsewhere that is what is expected. In fact GM considers one quart per 2000 miles normal. That said a quart in 500 does seem excessive.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The newer engines, in the desire to get better fuel economy numbers, are using a few "tricks" to reduce the internal friction (inside the engine).
One of them is specifying thinner oil. Another one is fitting piston rings that are "looser", and apply less pressure on the cylinder walls. Sure is less friction, but also means that the thinner oil will not be scrapped as well from walls, remaining to be burned. Also less seal means more exhaust gases will escape in crankcase.
Also turbos will put more thermal and pressure stress on the top of the pistons, and, if you drive the car at the top of their listed power/torque parameters, the failure is just around the corner.

Do the old school test - remove the oil cap while engine is running and put your hand above the opening to feel the exhaust gas pressure. I did it on numerous new cars on the dealer lot... they have a huge blow-by. My 200k miles, 2001 car doesn't have that much blow-by!
The dealer will tell you that's "normal". You can take that as you like, personally I am not looking to buy any of those new and "improved" cars.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The newer engines, in the desire to get better fuel economy numbers, are using a few "tricks" to reduce the internal friction. One of them is specifying thinner oil...
Well stated. I continue to preach using 5W30 or even 10W30, but some folks are waiting for oil consumption to increase before doing so.

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
346 Posts
I run 10w-30 synthetic GF-5 in my newer cars and would run 10w-40 if it existed. I do run 10w-40 in my older cars but is natural oil. Gas mileage again. P**s water oil.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Well stated. I continue to preach using 5W30 or even 10W30, but some folks are waiting for oil consumption to increase before doing so.
Once these vehicles start burning oil using the heavier weight doesn't make any difference. I tried it a couple of times before I got to where I am now and tracked my oil consumption, and it was no better but the car was noticeably sluggish with thicker oil.

Because I track everything, I can see the evolution of increased oil consumption. I'm up to 2-3 quarts between oil changes. Car still runs good so I just consider it a cost of doing business for now. At some point I'll have the intake pulled and the valves cleaned. That's really the only thing (I believe) is going to reverse this. Somewhere along the line the oil consumption will just get to be intolerable.

·
Registered
656 Posts
There is 5W40 synthetic. Shell family of oils, Mobil 1. Castrol has even a 10W-40 Edge or MAGNATEC synthetic.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
364 Posts
"Tricks"?

Information technology is allowing the production of much tighter engines. Using thinner lubrication is a well established trend and industry experts forecast that it will continue.

Five years later and still using 5W-20 here and not losing oil any faster than I would with a well performing MPI engine.

Reactions: mjhammer

·
Registered
131 Posts
A thread-starter that hasn't even returned to read the replies (in 21 days).
Wonder why these Kia / Hyundai boards get trolled so much.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
A thread-starter that hasn't even returned to read the replies (in 21 days).
Wonder why these Kia / Hyundai boards get trolled so much.
Yep, another "one and done".
Do not understand why so.
I contributed to several forums and not seen the like:
Miata
Jeep
Triumph Bonneville
TW200
Moto Guzzi
CB1100
XLForum.net (replaced Sportster.org)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts