Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2016 + with 27,633 miles. I'm waiting for the funds to hit my bank so I can go pick it up. Hopefully Tuesday. I've heard/read so many great things about these cars so I hope it lives up to my expectations.

My first question is regarding using the sound system. I'm a bit old school and prefer CD's but this thing doesnt even have a CD player so I will need to download everything to my computer and put it all on a flash drive. I am wondering what everyone is doing in regards to this to make it easy access. I cant imagine trying to find a song on a 50g flash drive with thousands of songs. A friend at work suggested getting spotify and plug my phone in but I really dont like having my phone dedicated to the car in that way. I might sign up to be a rideshare driver so I will need my phone for navigation.

My second question is regarding repairs/warranty. I purchased an additional warranty that covers me for 5 years or 75k miles with a $100 deductible per incident. It cost me $1800 but my thoughts are that with all the electronics in these new cars, a $2000 repair seems imminent. It is a bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything except regular maintenance items and cosmetic damage. So I am curious as to what common repairs are experienced in the first 100k miles of these cars, how to recognize them and how critical they are. Again, with all the electronics it seems that if one thing is messing up, it causes all sorts of other issues.

I look forward to talking with other owners and sharing.

Thanks for looking and feel free to send me any links to other forum topics you think I should read!

BrokenChef

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,100 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!

Reactions: BrokenChef

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
welcome to the forum. I just use a 8gb compact flash drive, which will hold about 3000 tracks, also have a 32gb compact one which holds a lot more (10K+) if I'm doing long trips. It's much easier searching a flash drive than trying to find a track on stacks and stacks of CD's that would equal that. Kia dropped the CD player in the Soul starting with the 2014 model (G2). I had it in my 2012 Soul but hardly ever used it, it was a bit pointless when you can hold so many tracks on a tiny flash drive and cheap too.

You can search by track, artist, genre, album. However, if you have the UVO system you can also search by voice, so if you want some specific track or album you push the button on the steering wheel for voice activation and ask the system what you want it to play - works very well, I just can't get used to talking to a car.
The audio system owners manual tells you the correct way to phrase the questions to get the best response.

I use a Garmin for navigation, which does not require any phone plan to operate or cell towers to function. I use it mainly for long trips, where I can pre-plan all my daily adventures ahead of time. Can also take it overseas and use it and made use of it when we went to England for 4 weeks which we did last year. It paid for itself as the rental companies charge a fortune to rent a GPS unit.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Pat.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
With 3yrs-33k miles left on the factory B-B warranty, I would probably not have purchased that additional warranty.
If I were to purchase one, it would have to be a Kia warranty and not something aftermarket.
They tend to be illusive and problemmatic when it comes to claims & repairs.
Read that fine print carefully with an electron microscope for hidden clauses and terms!

PS...Charleston, Sullivans island in particular, has always been one of my favorite places on the planet.
I hope to retire in Chareston sometime in the future!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts