Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 soul + with 104,000 miles on it. Long story short....had a ticking noise that seemed louder than usual. Took the car to the local mechanic when I also noticed CEL with Knock Sensor code. They said they couldn't do anything and I should take it to Kia.... Took it to the local dealership and they said the motor is no good! They said I need a new engine. They all huddled around the parts area and then came back to say that Kia would pay for the new motor if I paid the 3000.00 labor charge. They gave me a brand new 2019 soul with 2450 miles on it to drive and said they would call me and it should be ready in about 10 days. Doesn't it seem strange that out of warranty they would eat the cost of the new motor? I have been reading a lot of these forums and it seems there may be something coming with this model soul engine having a serious issue. Any thoughts on why they would be paying for a new motor out of warranty? They didn't ask for proof of maintainance or anything. Dealerships are not usually that willing to help?? Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
$3,000 hardly seems "free." This engine ran out of oil. Any idea why?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know about the oil. I do know that I am meticulous about oil changes every 4000 miles. Dipstick checked same day they told me that my engine was no good and it was down about half a quart or so. That was after 2000 miles from previous oil change. The 3000 is for labor. The dealership said it would take about 27 hours of labor. They said the labor should normally be 3400-3600 and they were discounting that. I just can't figure out why they are paying for the new engine parts wise if it is out of warranty. I just think Kia knows something...I mean they are not in the business of giving away free engines (minus labor) right??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Engine Failure 2014 Soul 2.0L

I have a 2014 soul + with 104,000 miles on it. Long story short....had a ticking noise that seemed louder than usual. Took the car to the local mechanic when I also noticed CEL with Knock Sensor code. They said they couldn't do anything and I should take it to Kia.... Took it to the local dealership and they said the motor is no good! They said I need a new engine. They all huddled around the parts area and then came back to say that Kia would pay for the new motor if I paid the 3000.00 labor charge. They gave me a brand new 2019 soul with 2450 miles on it to drive and said they would call me and it should be ready in about 10 days. Doesn't it seem strange that out of warranty they would eat the cost of the new motor? I have been reading a lot of these forums and it seems there may be something coming with this model soul engine having a serious issue. Any thoughts on why they would be paying for a new motor out of warranty? They didn't ask for proof of maintainance or anything. Dealerships are not usually that willing to help?? Thoughts?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
it's called a goodwill gesture as you are just slightly over the warranty to help keep you as a customer. Your maintenance record could be already on their system.

I've heard of this happening before when it's just been slightly over the warranty, however it isn't always this easy, some times you have to put pressure on KMA, but sometimes if you have dealt with the same dealer all the time, they will go to bat for you. Maybe try to negotiate the labour cost lower if possible. But to get a brand new engine installed for that price is pretty cheap.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I think you're correct adam, something is "up" for sure. These new engines with super tight tolerances are not holding up.

Subaru is one (of several) car makers with this issue as well. I was just reading this:

Both 2.0- and 2.5-liter versions of the naturally aspirated boxer engine from Subaru have been objects of scrutiny in recent years due to excessive oil consumption. Initially waved off as something that “Subaru engines do,” owners were told they need not worry if they added a quart of synthetic every few thousand miles. If the idea of a brand-new engine burning oil right off the lot concerns you, it should. It even led to the government stepping in.

The tipping point came in 2016, when Subaru finally admitted guilt and agreed to reimburse owners for repair costs and extend the length of their warranties. In a public statement, Subaru confessed that a defective piston ring could cause some 2011–2015 vehicles to excessively burn oil, prompting a lawsuit that alleged that Subaru knew about the problem but neglected to tell owners. Dealers had to to replace countless numbers of short blocks.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Reactions: conwelpic

·
Registered
41 Posts
adamf24601 what motor is in your Soul?

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Thanks Shaggy!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
If Kia were paying for a "new" motor they would foot the labor bill as well.
I'm thinking what you are actually getting is some version of a rebuilt motor or motor components at the dealership level and not at the corporate level.
I'm suspicious...

·
Registered
7,606 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Wait, they said the engine was "no good"? Anything more specific than that? And was it still driving fine before you took it in?

The ticking could just be the valves being noisy, which could result from PCV gunk building up on the intake valves as a result of direct injection in these engines.

It could also be the timing chain rattling against the chain guides.. that would be the bigger issue.

The CEL for knock happens to me all the time during the summer, I'm convinced it's a sensitive sensor.

To me, $3k for "labor" doesn't sound like an out-of-warranty-special, it sounds like standard rate for an engine rebuild/replacement/refurb + labor. I'm thinking they pulled a fast one on you, but I could be wrong.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
...To me, $3k for "labor" doesn't sound like an out-of-warranty-special, it sounds like standard rate for an engine rebuild/replacement/refurb + labor. I'm thinking they pulled a fast one on you, but I could be wrong.
I agree. Had an engine rebuilt (225 ci) in a '66 Plymouth a few hundred years ago, cost was about $1,200.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
There's also a "possibility" this Class Action suit against Kia will result in an extended powertrain warranty eg: 120,000. It's already happened with other Kia and Hyundai vehicles.

Hopefully if that happens, the OP will get his $3,000 Good Deal money back :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi everyone. Thanks for your thoughts. First off, they said it would be a brand new motor and the block was available. They did not tell me if it was a short or long block. All I know is that I was told "brand new" which means I will ask for paperwork showing a new not rebuilt motor so that if I decide to trade or sell the car I can certify a new motor at 104,000 miles for the next owner. They have not called all week but told me it would be at least 10 days. I don't mind driving the new 2019 Soul they gave me. I am hoping it will be recalled and I will get all of that labor money back. They told me that they talked the Kia Regional Manager to get approval. I am hoping they are not trying to pull one over on me because I won't let them. They said new motor and that is what I will expect. I also plan to ask them to let me know if ANY old motor parts were used and I want it all documented before I give them a dime or take my car.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The best advice I can give at this point is to pay that bill with an Amex card or a card you use frequently.
If things should go sideways after the motor is installed or down the road (pun intended) no one will cover you like Amex or your favorite used CREDIT card!
No cash...no checks...no debit cards...no subsequent worries and most of all...No Bull$hit!
Something goes wrong, something wasn't replaced as promised, something was used instead of new...Your C/C card has got your back!
Your pants will be down and around your ankles (too graphic for young audiences) if you pay any other way!
In God we trust...All others pay with Amex!

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
^^^^ Good advice srad! I've had CC companies quite quickly settle, in my favor, conflicts with sellers that were having trouble understanding their responsibilities.

Credit Card companies carry a much bigger hammer than I.

Not to mention the OP can get some good "rewards" points on a purchase this large.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts