Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The PTC lug nuts I installed when I did the brake job a couple of weeks ago were garbage. Check this out:

They may be nuts, but they shouldn't have lost their heads.

Losing the cap doesn't make a safety difference in and of itself, but it does cast doubt on the quality of the lug nuts. They appear to be the same size as the nuts they replaced, but I think they may be slightly shorter internally.

I tighten the nuts to 65 ft/lbs using a torque stick, and then to 70 ft/lbs with a torque wrench. That way if either tool is off a bit for whatever reason, I know I'm still within spec. This shouldn't happen with proper torque being used.

The Dorman lug nuts I would usually prefer don't seem to be in stock anywhere except at prices worthy of a RICO indictment. Maybe pandemic boredom has a lot of people changing their lug nuts? So I ordered some Wheel Accessories lug nuts that were highly rated in bazillions of reviews on Amazon.

We'll see what happens. They went on nicely and none of them lost their heads, so that's a good start. If they fail at some point, I'll let you know (assuming that I survive it).

Richard

·
Registered
954 Posts
The worst lug nuts I've come across thus far are two-piece ones that are "chrome-covered". Those actually swell and delaminate to the point that the lug socket stops fitting. Aggravating. Hoping your new lugs don't lose their heads or delaminate!

Greg

·
Registered
691 Posts
Why they would make 2 piece lug nuts I have no idea.
Looks like the business end where it seats against the wheel is the same shape as the old ones.
I think that is the main thing.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why they would make 2 piece lug nuts I have no idea.
Looks like the business end where it seats against the wheel is the same shape as the old ones.
I think that is the main thing.
The reason it's two-piece is to reduce the chances of false torque readings from some debris being in the nut that makes contact with the stud before the lug nut makes contact with the wheel, as well as to alert the person tightening the lug nuts that they are over-torqued (the cap will pop off).

But it shouldn't happen when they're correctly torqued and have no debris in them. That's why I think the internal thread may be a bit too shallow.

Yes, the seat is the same. The hex is not. OEM hex is 21mm. These are 19mm. I actually prefer the 19mm because the smaller socket is easier to get into the wells without scratching the finish.

Richard

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've never seen lug nuts like that! That's just crazy! What were they thinking?

Reactions: GeekOnTheHill

·
Registered
133 Posts
The worst lug nuts I've come across thus far are two-piece ones that are "chrome-covered". Those actually swell and delaminate to the point that the lug socket stops fitting....
Sounds like the kind I had on my purchased new late eighties F-150 (XLT-Lariat trim) pickup truck.

Went to change a tire one night on the still new truck using the lug wrench that came with the truck and the chrome cover of the first lug nut came off intact and stuck inside the lug wrench. Lug wrench would thus only fit over that one lug nut and not the others until I was able to get a tool that would allow me pry that jammed in chrome cover out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like the kind I had on my purchased new late eighties F-150 (XLT-Lariat trim) pickup truck.

Went to change a tire one night on the still new truck using the lug wrench that came with the truck and the chrome cover of the first lug nut came off intact and stuck inside the lug wrench. Lug wrench would thus only fit over that one lug nut and not the others until I was able to get a tool that would allow me pry that jammed in chrome cover out.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Large lug nuts by GORILLA are great! Gorrilla vs KIA OEM
I use Gorilla splined lug nuts on my winter steelies. I didn't even know they made standard lug nuts.

The Wheel Accessories ones I wound up buying seem okay, though. I usually buy Dorman (or Gorilla for the winter steelies), but practically every one of my sources was out of stock. The few that weren't wanted ~ USD $10.00 / each for them, even though I was buying 20 of them. That's a rip-off worthy of a RICO indictment.

Richard

·
Registered
127 Posts
That is a RICO RIP OFF. Go to Gorilla.com and see what they have. I recall paying about 18 USD for a set of 20. size is 12 x 1.50 as I recall... bulged or not bulged at the bottom will work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts