Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From New York State. I have owned GM autos for 35 years.( Purchased 4 impalas since 2002) Now, the time has come where we want to step up, not quite to a SUV, but something taller than an auto, with easier access. The Soul caught my attention about 3 weeks ago. Started to do internet research, what their is, and then went to a Kia dealership locally to check into them. I joined this forum, in hopes that I can gain some knowledge in design and mechanical background of the vehicle.(I have 35 years of mechanical back ground of Korean made farm tractors). The Base model with standard transmission has my intrest. The models we test drove came with power- locks keyless entry, , and windows. In short, I'm not worried about fancy radios with light up speakers, leather steering wheels, or fancy contraptions , just a good sound machine that can take me from point A to point B successfully for a number of years.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
welcome to the forum, I'm sure you will find the answers you need on this forum, if not just ask. ;)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Easy access and egress for the Soul. I got into my friend's Chevy Cruise the other day and it was a bit of a pain to sit down in the drivers seat. I would never go back to a car again. Ok maybe a Porsche.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have also owned GM cars all my life, still have a Silverado, Buick Enclave (Wife) and a restored Corvette. I have owned both a 2011 and now a 2012 Soul and I love it. It is so easy to get in and out of and easy to maneuver around traffic. I average around 27mpg around town with an automatic. I have 20,000 mile on it and have had it back 0 times for anything other than routine maintance. I am 55 and I would never go back to an american econobox, the first one I bought I was looking at a ford fiesta also, they don't compare in room. I have no trouble getting 4 good sized adults in it. I have taken several long trips in my Soul and it has performed excellent in the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico. Lately I see more newer Kia's on the road here in the Dallas area than any other makers, if fact I never go anywhere without passing several Souls anymore.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,612 Posts
I have also owned GM cars all my life, still have a Silverado, Buick Enclave (Wife) and a restored Corvette. I have owned both a 2011 and now a 2012 Soul and I love it. It is so easy to get in and out of and easy to maneuver around traffic. I average around 27mpg around town with an automatic. I have 20,000 mile on it and have had it back 0 times for anything other than routine maintance. I am 55 and I would never go back to an american econobox, the first one I bought I was looking at a ford fiesta also, they don't compare in room. I have no trouble getting 4 good sized adults in it. I have taken several long trips in my Soul and it has performed excellent in the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico. Lately I see more newer Kia's on the road here in the Dallas area than any other makers, if fact I never go anywhere without passing several Souls anymore.
A couple of months ago I toyed with trading my Soul for a lightly-used 2012 Impala. First year for the new 3.6/6A.

I rented one for a day, the contrast in ease of entry-exit made my mind up for me. The mid-range Impala (LT) upholstery seemed cheap, and after a few months in the Soul we're both used to having a car with such ease of use.

AND it's much more maneuverable than the Impy. Impala LTZ is nice, but the maneuverability and access made the decision for me.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like you, I was looking for a reliable and inexpensive to buy and operate vehicle. Additionally, it had to have room enough in the cargo area for 3 big dogs.I had looked at the Honda element, primarily because it had plenty of room, but the fuel mileage ratings were no better that the vehicle I was going to trade (a '99 Explorer with only 38k miles), so that was pointless. then I drove a Cube, but between the weird styling and the cvt transmission and gutless engine, that was a loser also. Once I looked at and drove a Soul, however, I was duly impressed. It was smaller outside and much more economical than the Explorer, but inside it was amazingly roomy, it drove and handled very well, and had lots of bells and whistles for a relatively inexpensive car (I like bells and whistles), so Soul was the way I went, and haven't been a bit sorry since.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Sosoul, Welcome.....from Florida.

After watching the TV ad's I thought, 'if the hamsters love it, how bad could it really be?'
Then I took one for a test drive and I was hooked. I did burn outs, stoppies, loop-D-loops, (donuts) and a few
other maneuvers that just scared the living h*** out of the little salesman, but it all served to convince
me that the Kia Soul was the right car for me. (OH, and I'm 69 years old, and an old GearHead)
Mine is a base model, but it's still loaded with all sorts of extras and Gadgets.

I've had manual shift cars before and I remember how tired my left leg would get when driving in traffic,
so an AT and cruise control were two of my Criteria for a new car. The car I test drove had everything I
needed and three hours later I drove it home.

I hope you will enjoy your own Soul as much as I'm enjoying mine!

TM :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank u all for the warm welcome. It's very nice to see how you all like your Souls. Some people say it's stressful looking for a new vehicle. I'm rather enjoying it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I took my Soul for a little road trip today, to Orlando. By the time I get there, do my shopping and running around and get back home I've logged 200 miles. And my gas gauge is still around the half tank mark. She sips easy on the gas but still runs like a scalded dog. No-one passes me unless I want them to.
I no longer fear I-4 traffic. I get out there and run with the big dogs!

What is so pleasing though, is that everywhere I go I see more Kia Souls. I bet I saw at least a dozen white ones today. I don't even count the other colors. They're insignificant. :laughonfloor

The longer I drive mine, the better she runs.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I took my Soul for a little road trip today, to Orlando. By the time I get there, do my shopping and running around and get back home I've logged 200 miles. And my gas gauge is still around the half tank mark. She sips easy on the gas but still runs like a scalded dog. No-one passes me unless I want them to.
I no longer fear I-4 traffic. I get out there and run with the big dogs!

What is so pleasing though, is that everywhere I go I see more Kia Souls. I bet I saw at least a dozen white ones today. I don't even count the other colors. They're insignificant. :laughonfloor

The longer I drive mine, the better she runs.

Cheers Mates!

That is so good to hear. Glad u like it.

Because, just made a deal on a Brand Spanking New 2013 Soul, 1.6L, MT, Alien. Spent 5 short hours at the dealership before finally lifting on the hoist for the final inspection. I must say, I was impressed underneath. For a 2600lb. car-suv; whatever they call it. Components sure look well engineered and built strong. Went with the green because u don't see many on the roads here. I also figured a unique color for such a unique vehicle.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
That is so good to hear. Glad u like it.

Because, just made a deal on a Brand Spanking New 2013 Soul, 1.6L, MT, Alien. Spent 5 short hours at the dealership before finally lifting on the hoist for the final inspection. I must say, I was impressed underneath. For a 2600lb. car-suv; whatever they call it. Components sure look well engineered and built strong. Went with the green because u don't see many on the roads here. I also figured a unique color for such a unique vehicle.
welcome to the "green world" - here's mine ;)

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Congrats and welcome to KSF! :)

Glad you picked the correct color! Another happy Alien owner here.......

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This vehicle continues to impress me. Was a little worried the 1.6L would be a little under powered, but that is not the case. I enjoy a MT so much. Fun is finally back in driving again, LOL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts