Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just got a "new to me" 2014 Kia Soul + with only 11,000 miles on it. Still trying to decide if I like the "Soular" yellow paint. Love everything else about it though. Even the base stereo is all right after some adjustments.

This is actually my second Soul. The first was a 2010 that was broad sided by an idiot driving a brand new 4x4 Yukon. I was hit drivers side door and I woke up with her headlight next to my head. I was really impressed with how the soul held up. I was able to walk out of the hospital under my own power with nothing broken. (Severe concussion and memory loss though) I was heading about North 40-45 MPH and she was heading South 30-40 MPH in the opposite direction and turned into me. The first Soul was dark grey and she said she "never saw me at all". That's why I got the "yellow one" even though I am not sure I like the color. I know it's safe, good gas mileage and comfy !

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,532 Posts
Welcome DotSoul & glad to hear you did ok in that nasty accident. I have a feeling the "idiot" who hit you, claiming she didn't see you (duh, why would she hit someone she can see?) probably would have crashed into you no matter what color your car. She basically was not paying attention or was driving aggressively & not using due diligence in navigating her big ass Yukon 4x4.

Here's something on car color safety from Edmunds:

The "Safest" Car Color?
Some drivers are convinced that lighter or brighter-colored cars will keep them more visible and thus make them safer on the road.

Research on car colors and crash rates is sparse, however. In an Australian study, white vehicles were about 10 percent less likely to be in a crash during daylight hours than vehicles in lower-visibility colors such as black, blue, gray, green, red and silver, according to a 2007 report from the Monash University Accident Research Centre.

But Russ Rader, a spokesperson for the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, warns not to count on color as a safety feature.

"Color may have some effect on the risk of multiple-vehicle crashes, but it's probably small," he says. He points to other studies that suggest motorists who travel with their daytime running lights (DRL) on are less likely to be involved in multiple-vehicle crashes during the day.

"Institute and federal government studies put the crash reduction for DRLs at 3-5 percent," Rader says. "If there's a small benefit for daytime running lights, it's likely that any benefit from a more conspicuous car color is even smaller.'' By conspicuous color, Rader means ''emergency vehicle'' colors, such as yellows and bright reds.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Howdy & welcome from the SF East Bay Area.
I live in a gated adult community, must be 55 years young to buy a place (or have a spouse that is 55 or older). I got yellow for visibility as there are so many 80-90+ year old drivers. And the pine pollen blends nicely with the paint. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hello all. Just got a "new to me" 2014 Kia Soul + with only 11,000 miles on it. Still trying to decide if I like the "Soular" yellow paint. Love everything else about it though. Even the base stereo is all right after some adjustments.

This is actually my second Soul. The first was a 2010 that was broad sided by an idiot driving a brand new 4x4 Yukon. I was hit drivers side door and I woke up with her headlight next to my head. I was really impressed with how the soul held up. I was able to walk out of the hospital under my own power with nothing broken. (Severe concussion and memory loss though) I was heading about North 40-45 MPH and she was heading South 30-40 MPH in the opposite direction and turned into me. The first Soul was dark grey and she said she "never saw me at all". That's why I got the "yellow one" even though I am not sure I like the color. I know it's safe, good gas mileage and comfy !
I kind of like the color myself ............lol

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,100 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!! ?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Soul forums
As a cyclist who rode round in bright yellow for years 'I can assure you I did not see you' is another way of saying I was day dreaming.
Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts