Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. I apologize if this has been asked or talked about before. I read through several threads before posting and didn't see anything.

2012 Kia Soul. 1.6L. 147,xxx miles. We all know these things burn oil....blah blah blah. So this morning on the way to work my car started ticking/knocking lightly. I just put a quart of oil in it yesterday so I know that's good. By the time I got to work (32 mile drive) it sounded like the engine was going to blow up any second. I'm pretty sure I won't make it home without it blowing up.
My question is where can I buy a new replacement engine? Any particular company (besides the dealership)? Has anyone priced a new engine? Is it worth it? All helpful answers welcome.

I'm exploring all my options before completely trashing the whole car. Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, I would have it truly diagnosed as actually needing an engine. Second, try local salvage yards, I find that www.car-part.com is a good resource.
I get what you're saying and I plan on having it looked at.....if I make it that far. I'm pretty sure I won't even make it home this evening if it even cranks back up at all. It's in bad shape.
I'd rather buy a new engine (if they're not too much) instead of buying a used one. I'm exploring all options at this point though.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Did you buy this car new?

Assuming you bought it new, and the rest of it is in nice shape, I would definitely buy a new engine as that's a hell of a lot cheaper than another car. A new long block that you can order from AutoZone is $3700. You can probably do better locally and have a new engine installed for $3-5k.

BUT: if your current engine isn't yet damaged you can probably have it rebuilt for even less. I'm going to link @bwdz75 since he's a Kia tech but I'm guessing you can get new piston rings, bearings, and rebuilt head for $2k or so.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The 2012 1.6L GDI was part of the catalytic converter recall and also had a product improvement campaign and if that was done, you should have a warranty extension on the engine for 150,000 miles and 15 year, even if your not the original owner.

Catalytic:

KSDS:

I would contact a Kia dealer first before buying a new engine you may not need for something that might be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good morning. Thanks for the replies with suggestions and helpful info. However, on the way home yesterday (I had no choice but to drive it home) the motor basically imploded. I stopped by a local and very trusted mechanic near my house (it was barely running at this point) and they confirmed that the engine was toast. No big deal really. The car served it's purpose for the 3 years we had it in our family and we got our money out of it. I listed it on Facebook Marketplace once I got it home and had it sold within 20 minutes for $1000. The guy had a wrecked Soul with a good engine and was going to swap things around and continue driving it. Thanks for everything guys.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Good morning. Thanks for the replies with suggestions and helpful info. However, on the way home yesterday (I had no choice but to drive it home) the motor basically imploded. I stopped by a local and very trusted mechanic near my house (it was barely running at this point) and they confirmed that the engine was toast. No big deal really. The car served it's purpose for the 3 years we had it in our family and we got our money out of it. I listed it on Facebook Marketplace once I got it home and had it sold within 20 minutes for $1000. The guy had a wrecked Soul with a good engine and was going to swap things around and continue driving it. Thanks for everything guys.
Well that's too bad but at least you got a few bucks out of it AND bothered to come back and tell us the resolution; most new posters are One and Dones. (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts