Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
That $2200 is just for the engine right? How many hours of labor time does it take to remove and replace an engine? If I were to guess, I’d say no more than $1500 more?? 2200 + 1500 = 3700. That’s still a lot cheaper than $12k.
Well under warranty repairs we also have to replace the high pressure fuel pipe and any of the torque to yield bolts such as fuel rail and GDI pump along with injector combustion seals etc.. it comes as an engine replacement service kit that is around $100.
Labor warranty is like 6.8hrs, labor by Mitchell and Aldata is something like 14.4 hours if memory serves right. How long it actually takes depends on the skill and ability of the mechanic, some will take all day to do one and others can do 3 engines in a day.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
What is an engine soak? Sounds like changing the blinker fluid, or calibrating the Schrader valves.
TL;DR, but... damn, that's funny!

Engine soak... I imagine removing the engine from the vehicle and soaking it in a bath of diesel fuel.

TBH: I've done something similar. It's actually a necessary part of cleaning mechanical parts prior to rebuilding an engine.

But changing the blinker fluid and calibrating the Schrader valves: Those make me laugh!

Sadly though, I have heard that people have been suckered into such things as changing the "blinker fluid".

We live in a sad world full of ignorant people.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
A piston soak is when you remove the spark plugs and pour a little bit of fuel injector cleaner or other chemical down the spark plug holes. Then you let it soak over night. The next day you will have to blow out the remaining chemicals before reinstalling the plugs and starting it up. Then an oil change is recommended too because some of the solution will end up in the oil.

The goal of a piston soak is to help free up carbon clogged piston rings to reduce or eliminate oil consumption.
You have obviously never rebuilt an engine.

No. That is NOT something you would do. Pouring any chemical into an engine's spark plug holes is NEVER something that a professional mechanic would do.

Literally, the ONLY thing that a trained mechanic would pour into the spark plug holes is engine oil... and ONLY to discover if the cylinder compression is low due to a valve leak or a compression ring leak.

Pouring a small amount of engine oil into a cylinder via the spark plug hole will determine if the rings are OK, and the intake/exhaust valves are the reason for low compression in a cylinder.

After that test, a mechanic can determine whether to rebuild the cylinder head (valve job), or to replace the cylinder rings.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

No. That is NOT something you would do. Pouring any chemical into an engine's spark plug holes is NEVER something that a professional mechanic would do.

Literally, the ONLY thing that a trained mechanic would pour into the spark plug holes is engine oil... and ONLY to discover if the cylinder compression is low due to a valve leak or a compression ring leak.

Pouring a small amount of engine oil into a cylinder via the spark plug hole will determine if the rings are OK, and the intake/exhaust valves are the reason for low compression in a cylinder.

After that test, a mechanic can determine whether to rebuild the cylinder head (valve job), or to replace the cylinder rings.
Actually a mechanic would pour cleaner in there to get piston rings un stuck. This is a Kia procedure outlined by a TSB. Prior to Kia I had done this many times on BMWs and it restored compression nearly every time. There's a mechanic on YouTube goes by BMW doctor and has a video of the process as it is so common on those cars.

·
Registered
706 Posts

And here’s the TSB

Piston soaks were popular with the Saturn crowd back in the day also. I wish I knew about them when I owned mine.

Duck Duck Go is your friend.

Reactions: bwdz75

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
OMG. Piston rings "un-stuck". They should never get "stuck" in the first place!

I guess I just can't imagine the maintenance (or lack thereof) that some people do to their vehicles.

I have rebuilt many, many engines (everything from single-cylinder lawnmower engines, multi-cylinder boat engines, all the way to 8-cylinder car engines), and I have NEVER seen an engine that was so fouled with CRUD that the piston rings were "stuck".

I have seen lots of other crap in an engine, but never "stuck" piston rings.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Some cars like the Saturn 1.9L and some Scion/Toyotas with the 2AZ-FE engine just had bad oil control ring designs. Maybe extended oil changes or lack of them made the problem worse.

And now with modern GDI engines and low tension piston rings it’s still a problem and seems more common which is why I’m in the 3000 mile oil change camp.

Extended oil change intervals in my opinion is going over 5K miles but some car companies say go 10K miles and I think that’s crazy.

And as Bwdz has mentioned before, he sees cars every day with oil change stickers that are 3, 4, 5k and more miles over due. So if your car like the Soul says go 7500 miles and you “forget” and go another 5k, your engine isn’t going to be happy and it will start burning oil. And these same people don’t check the level either and eventually it runs dry and blows up and then blame Kia. 🙄

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
Some cars like the Saturn 1.9L and some Scion/Toyotas with the 2AZ-FE engine just had bad oil control ring designs. Maybe extended oil changes or lack of them made the problem worse.

And now with modern GDI engines and low tension piston rings it’s still a problem and seems more common which is why I’m in the 3000 mile oil change camp.

Extended oil change intervals in my opinion is going over 5K miles but some car companies say go 10K miles and I think that’s crazy.

And as Bwdz has mentioned before, he sees cars every day with oil change stickers that are 3, 4, 5k and more miles over due. So if your car like the Soul says go 7500 miles and you “forget” and go another 5k, your engine isn’t going to be happy and it will start burning oil. And these same people don’t check the level either and eventually it runs dry and blows up and then blame Kia. 🙄
Low tension piston rings have been around for decades.

Here is my philosophy about oil changes:

If you drive mostly "city miles"... change the oil every 3K.
If you drive 90% "highway miles"... change the oil every 7K.
If you drive a "mix" of the two, change the oil somewhere around 5K.

It has worked for me for my entire life.

The "3K" thing was promoted by the oil companies for profit reasons.
The "7K+" thing was promoted by car manufacturers because it reduced the "cost of ownership" of their vehicles.
The truth is somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
And now with modern GDI engines
I'm finding it hard to believe that oil changes have anything to do with GDI engines. Literally the only difference between GDI engines and their predecessors is that the fuel/air mixture is not making contact with the intake valves.

I think the most important thing is regular maintenance. And... most people don't do it.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
And as Bwdz has mentioned before, he sees cars every day with oil change stickers that are 3, 4, 5k and more miles over due. So if your car like the Soul says go 7500 miles and you “forget” and go another 5k, your engine isn’t going to be happy and it will start burning oil. And these same people don’t check the level either and eventually it runs dry and blows up and then blame Kia.
I am a huge proponent of preventative maintenance. The saying that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is true in almost every situation.

Back in the early 1990's, I worked for a big United States military contractor. I completely changed their preventative maintenance program, and I saved them tons of money while also improving reliability.

That's why I always change the oil in my car, on-schedule, based on miles driven in a specific period of time, and also based on the environment in which the car was driven.

It's not simply X miles driven, and change the oil at Y miles.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
The problem is not about new engine designs, low-tension oil rings, etc.

The problem is a combination of two things.

1) Car manufacturers tell owners that they only need to change the oil at X intervals because this reduces the "cost of ownership" projections.

2) People are lazy, and they don't understand the importance of regular maintenance (of vehicle engines, the roof on their house, etc).

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
1) Car manufacturers tell owners that they only need to change the oil at X intervals because this reduces the "cost of ownership" projections.
Do you understand the importance of "cost of ownership"?

The vehicle manufacturer has an incentive to exaggerate this number.

"Cost of ownership". entails the cost of operating the vehicle during a specific period of time (typically 3-5 years). The projected cost of fuel, maintenance, and repairs weigh heavily in this estimate.

If the manufacturer tells you that you need to change the oil every 3K miles, this increases the "cost of ownership". So... manufacturers like to tell you that you only need to change the oil every 7500, 10000, or 15000 miles.

The oil manufacturers want you to change the oil every 3000 miles.

Who is telling you the truth???

The truth is somewhere in the middle, depending on your driving habits.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Cost of ownership might sound good to someone who treats their car like an appliance, like a toaster, but it’s a lie. If you expect your car to live a long healthy life and do the bare minimum maintenance, it’s going to “cost” you a lot.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The problem is not about new engine designs, low-tension oil rings, etc.

The problem is a combination of two things.

2) People are lazy, and they don't understand the importance of regular maintenance (of vehicle engines, the roof on their house, etc).
This is true, but still, the oil in my GDI engine is coal black at 3k miles and it’s still looks good in the other Soul with the old tech Beta II MPI engine. That’s enough proof for me.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts

The vehicle manufacturer has an incentive to exaggerate this number.

"Cost of ownership". entails the cost of operating the vehicle during a specific period of time (typically 3-5 years). The projected cost of fuel, maintenance, and repairs weigh heavily in this estimate.

If the manufacturer tells you that you need to change the oil every 3K miles, this increases the "cost of ownership". So... manufacturers like to tell you that you only need to change the oil every 7500, 10000, or 15000 miles.

The oil manufacturers want you to change the oil every 3000 miles.

Who is telling you the truth???

The truth is somewhere in the middle, depending on your driving habits.
Cost of ownership might sound good to someone who treats their car like an appliance, like a toaster, but it’s a lie. If you expect your car to live a long healthy life and do the bare minimum maintenance, it’s going to “cost” you a lot.
Have you thought about the reason why most of my vehicles have lasted 100K, 200K and 300K+ miles???

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
This is true, but still, the oil in my GDI engine is coal black at 3k miles and it’s still looks good in the other Soul with the old tech Beta II MPI engine. That’s enough proof for me.
Hmmmm... mine is still as clean as it was when I had the oil changed at 4000 miles. Granted, the engine only has 7900 miles at present, but it looks no different to me as any other engine at this mileage.

How many miles are on your engine, and how many miles since your most recent oil change?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hmmmm... mine is still as clean as it was when I had the oil changed at 4000 miles. Granted, the engine only has 7900 miles at present, but it looks no different to me as any other engine at this mileage.

How many miles are on your engine, and how many miles since your most recent oil change?
The first owner had 2 oil changes. 5k miles each. The dealer that sold it to me did an oil change at 12k miles and I changed it again after I bought it at about 12.5k. And since then I’ve done 3k mile changes. I’m about 1500 miles into my oil change and it’s already getting dark.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
Let me give you a little bit of background.

Most American's won't drive 1 million miles in their lifetime. I have driven more than 3 million miles, and I am only 52 years old. I have worn-out more cars than most people have owned in their entire lives.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts