Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
What is an engine soak? Sounds like changing the blinker fluid, or calibrating the schrader valves.
A piston soak is when you remove the spark plugs and pour a little bit of fuel injector cleaner or other chemical down the spark plug holes. Then you let it soak over night. The next day you will have to blow out the remaining chemicals before reinstalling the plugs and starting it up. Then an oil change is recommended too because some of the solution will end up in the oil.

The goal of a piston soak is to help free up carbon clogged piston rings to reduce or eliminate oil consumption.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What is an engine soak? Sounds like changing the blinker fluid, or calibrating the schrader valves.
In vague terms, heat soak simply refers to some part of the engine – or the engine as a whole – getting too hot. Combustion engines produce a lot of heat and that heat has to go somewhere. It soaks into metals and fluids. Eventually, it becomes so hot that heat absorption drops, and the engine can no longer efficiently rid itself of excess heat.

·
Registered
768 Posts
@JLL3Sonex,

High quality full synthetic oil would have been a better choice than semi-synthetic.

Have you cleaned the intake valves, and if so, how often?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Time for another update. I dropped my Soul off and they did a disassembly - and apparently from what they saw it was bad enough I'm going to be getting a new engine. The dealership's waiting for a short block and parts - with the current supply chain issues the package is probably either on the dock in Korea or somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic. (Hopefully on a ship, lol. Don't think it'll float well at all.)

Once all the parts get here, it'll need to be reassembled. They're estimating around Christmas. Which will make for a nice present when I get it back!

I'll drop another update at that point. It'd be nice if it were sooner, but... It'll happen when it happens.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I didn't have much luck with my at home piston soak, so I may eventually go in for an oil consumption test. I'm at 84k and using just under 1qt (probably around 3/4 of a qt at this point) per 1k miles, so not quite enough for the dealer to do much about it would be my guess. I brought it up the last time I took it in for the catalytic converter and they kind of ignored me.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts