Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2014 ! with the Whole Shabang package. This car's been the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever had.. except for about the last 6-7k miles. (Just crossed the 100k mark.)

At about 94k it seemed like I was using a lot more oil than usual - like 1 quart every thousand miles or so. That's not... extreme, in my experience, but my first car was a '72 Datsun that burned oil like it owned a refinery, and I was used to a quart every couple thousand miles or so from then on.

My 2014 was the first I'd owned that DIDN'T chug a quart or so between changes... until it hit about 60k and then it started using a bit - maybe a quart every 3k. I ran it by the dealer once, a couple years back, and he said we could do an oil consumption test, but didn't think it was really justifiable yet. So I let it ride a while longer.

A couple months back I was creeping up on the 100k mark, and got a recall notice for a software update. I figured as long as I was there I'd have them do the 60k service package and transmission flush (since it was the most 'comprehensive' maintenance choice) and I mentioned the oil burning problem. The service writer said that there was a problem with some engines, so they started an oil consumption test - did the oil change and sealed the dipstick and oil fill cap. I drove it a thousand miles and took it back.

Turned out at 98-99k after a thousand miles the oil didn't touch the bottom of the dipstick. Work order said it was 2.5 quarts low.

They did a engine soak, refilled the crankcase, resealed the engine, and now I've got about 200 miles to go before I see if I get a new engine or not under warranty...

I'm thinking that even if oil consumption's slowed down considerably it's going to be going back up again fairly fast. But burning 2.5 quarts in a thousand miles... how likely is a piston ring soak to correct that to acceptable levels? (I'm thinking not terribly likely.)

Another question I've got - if they replace the engine, should I have them replace the catalytic converter at the same time? I'm not getting any codes or warnings about that - but essentially dumping quarts of oil through it can't be that great for its longevity.

Anyway - thought I'd drop this in. Maybe you've got a Soul getting close to 100k that's developed a taste for oil... it's definitely something to watch!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I believe the recall you had done extends your engine warranty to 15 years 150,000 miles.

Font Number Screenshot

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've got a 2014 ! with the Whole Shabang package. This car's been the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever had.. except for about the last 6-7k miles. (Just crossed the 100k mark.)

At about 94k it seemed like I was using a lot more oil than usual - like 1 quart every thousand miles or so. That's not... extreme, in my experience, but my first car was a '72 Datsun that burned oil like it owned a refinery, and I was used to a quart every couple thousand miles or so from then on.

My 2014 was the first I'd owned that DIDN'T chug a quart or so between changes... until it hit about 60k and then it started using a bit - maybe a quart every 3k. I ran it by the dealer once, a couple years back, and he said we could do an oil consumption test, but didn't think it was really justifiable yet. So I let it ride a while longer.

A couple months back I was creeping up on the 100k mark, and got a recall notice for a software update. I figured as long as I was there I'd have them do the 60k service package and transmission flush (since it was the most 'comprehensive' maintenance choice) and I mentioned the oil burning problem. The service writer said that there was a problem with some engines, so they started an oil consumption test - did the oil change and sealed the dipstick and oil fill cap. I drove it a thousand miles and took it back.

Turned out at 98-99k after a thousand miles the oil didn't touch the bottom of the dipstick. Work order said it was 2.5 quarts low.

They did a engine soak, refilled the crankcase, resealed the engine, and now I've got about 200 miles to go before I see if I get a new engine or not under warranty...

I'm thinking that even if oil consumption's slowed down considerably it's going to be going back up again fairly fast. But burning 2.5 quarts in a thousand miles... how likely is a piston ring soak to correct that to acceptable levels? (I'm thinking not terribly likely.)

Another question I've got - if they replace the engine, should I have them replace the catalytic converter at the same time? I'm not getting any codes or warnings about that - but essentially dumping quarts of oil through it can't be that great for its longevity.

Anyway - thought I'd drop this in. Maybe you've got a Soul getting close to 100k that's developed a taste for oil... it's definitely something to watch!
The forums Kia tech has mentioned before that he’s had good success with piston soaks. The chemicals they use should help dissolve the carbon and free up the rings. Hopefully either that works or they replace the engine for you.

Reactions: bwdz75

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,049 Posts

Can you share how often you did oil changes and type/weight of oil?

Last PCV valve change mileage?

Thanks! That will help us understand your journey to this point.

(FWIW every Honda/Acura I've owned started consuming some oil around 60k & by 80k up had a downright drinking habit. I just checked them regularly and topped them off.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, hurry up and go drive that 200 miles so I know if the piston soak worked! :p I was going to do it to my 2015 next time I need to change the oil again to see if it helps. I'm at 82k miles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you share how often you did oil changes and type/weight of oil?

Last PCV valve change mileage?

Thanks! That will help us understand your journey to this point.

(FWIW every Honda/Acura I've owned started consuming some oil around 60k & by 80k up had a downright drinking habit. I just checked them regularly and topped them off.)
I was doing oil changes at about the 300-3500 mile mark, at reputable (for certain values of 'reputable') oil change places. I used synthetic blends, 5w20 usually. Gas has usually been from Racetrak or QuikTrip, to eliminate that possibility. (Had friends who'd go to cheap no-name gas stations to save a few cents/gallon, and always griped about getting bad gas. They never could seem to make a connection there, lol...)

PVC valve first changed around 75k, and just for grins I changed it again around 95k.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, hurry up and go drive that 200 miles so I know if the piston soak worked! :p I was going to do it to my 2015 next time I need to change the oil again to see if it helps. I'm at 82k miles.
It'll most likely be next Friday or Saturday on the update - won't have the time to get my car in before then. But I'll post here what happens.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the recall you had done extends your engine warranty to 15 years 150,000 miles.

View attachment 137923
That's why I've been diligent with the recalls. You got a problem that's likely to kill an engine, you better believe I'll get THAT fix taken care of!

But honestly, I'm not about to complain (much) about the Soul. Every car needs maintenance at some point - the Kia's had a LOT less than any other car I've had.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The forums Kia tech has mentioned before that he’s had good success with piston soaks. The chemicals they use should help dissolve the carbon and free up the rings. Hopefully either that works or they replace the engine for you.
I saw that. I'm... cautiously optimistic. But I'd prefer not to have to get a piston soak every 40-50k even if it'd be cheaper than replacing an out of warranty engine.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,049 Posts
I was doing oil changes at about the 300-3500 mile mark, at reputable (for certain values of 'reputable') oil change places. I used synthetic blends, 5w20 usually. Gas has usually been from Racetrak or QuikTrip, to eliminate that possibility. (Had friends who'd go to cheap no-name gas stations to save a few cents/gallon, and always griped about getting bad gas. They never could seem to make a connection there, lol...)

PVC valve first changed around 75k, and just for grins I changed it again around 95k.

Hope this helps!
Thanks jll it sounds like you take good care of your Soul.

Racetrak gas is not top tier, so Kia says to use a Techron type fuel additive from time to time. QuickTrip is top tier.

Hopefully the quick oil change places used an appropriate oil filter (not just one that fits).

Please keep us posted on your dealings with Kia. All the best!

·
Registered
914 Posts
It's inevitable with GDI low tension ring engines just by design, thank the EPA
And people that believe in the "better fuel economy" hype... they could have voted with their wallets differently. Now is too late, it seems that engine failures are deemed "OK" at low mileages, if you got a bit better gas mileage.

·
Registered
457 Posts
And people that believe in the "better fuel economy" hype... they could have voted with their wallets differently. Now is too late, it seems that engine failures are deemed "OK" at low mileages, if you got a bit better gas mileage.
The trouble is this we may “vote” in purchasing with our wallets, but the manufacturers have to live with and operate under the laws congress And legislators pass, and then the regulations that lawyers write to implement the laws. That‘s exactly what is happening in this case. All the car makers are having to live with it.

• Wow
Reactions: celronart

·
Registered
914 Posts
Well, that is related how we are voting in general and I don't want to go there. Every country has the leaders it deserves.

If nobody would have bought direct injection cars in the first year, that would have got the attention of manufacturers and politicians alike. Unfortunately the "specialty" media (car review magazines) is just an advertising machine, corrupted by money.

Also, the Congress and EPA has committees, people that, before passing a law, should ask the manufacturers "can this be done?". Manufacturers can say yes or no. Sadly there is no repercussion for them of lying or providing misleading statements in those "industry forums".
Example: All the German manufacturers said that "yes, we ca achieve Diesel emission and keep performance where it is".
Later to find that they were planning on cheating from the beginning, to kill the competition and appease the "low mileage" political; crowd. We did catch only one of them (group WV), but then all of them retired their Diesels from US and, suspiciously, even in EU they started to move to electric cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I would double check that recall. Kia replaced my catalytic converter twice for free. I was also burning oil like gasoline and they told me I was crazy.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I had a similar problem just after 100k. The ring failed on one piston and lost compression and another was getting ready to fail. I wasn't able to prove that it was related to the catalytic converter failure, so Kia would not reimburse the engine replacement.

Amazingly enough, I took it in for the extended warranty on the headlight switch and they did the KSDS software update under PI200. Then I experienced limp home mode on the highway.
Since, it was PI200, not SC200 (same software update?), Kia would not extend my warranty and reimburse the engine replacement. But at least I got a free catalytic converter out of it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, time for the update! I drove my Soul like I stole it, lol, for the requisite thousand miles. Went to the dealer Friday afternoon and they unsealed it - and the dipstick was showing half-full after the thousand miles after the engine soak. So yay! Looks like oil consumption's been cut considerably. I was thinking that leaving it overnight every year or so would be tolerable, if I didn't have to pay for it.

But - the Service Manager wanted to run it past the technicians. And now they're wanting to keep it for a few days for an engine teardown. Now, I'm no engine expert - but it seems to me that'd be the time to hone the cylinders, replace piston rings and do a valve job on it... and that'd probably be cheaper than a new engine and last another five years or so... but, like I said I'm no engine expert.

Anyway, I can't quite give up the car right now for a few days, so they'll be doing that at the end of this month. If I qualify for a new engine, they'll need about three weeks to get in the engine, and then five weeks (!) to get it replaced. I asked about a loaner, he said it might be possible, but wouldn't commit to it right now.

That's the story so far. I'll update this again in about a month or so, after it's been in the shop and they do the teardown. I'll be driving it until then, so I'm hoping it lasts!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well, time for the update! I drove my Soul like I stole it, lol, for the requisite thousand miles. Went to the dealer Friday afternoon and they unsealed it - and the dipstick was showing half-full after the thousand miles after the engine soak. So yay! Looks like oil consumption's been cut considerably. I was thinking that leaving it overnight every year or so would be tolerable, if I didn't have to pay for it.

But - the Service Manager wanted to run it past the technicians. And now they're wanting to keep it for a few days for an engine teardown. Now, I'm no engine expert - but it seems to me that'd be the time to hone the cylinders, replace piston rings and do a valve job on it... and that'd probably be cheaper than a new engine and last another five years or so... but, like I said I'm no engine expert.

Anyway, I can't quite give up the car right now for a few days, so they'll be doing that at the end of this month. If I qualify for a new engine, they'll need about three weeks to get in the engine, and then five weeks (!) to get it replaced. I asked about a loaner, he said it might be possible, but wouldn't commit to it right now.

That's the story so far. I'll update this again in about a month or so, after it's been in the shop and they do the teardown. I'll be driving it until then, so I'm hoping it lasts!
Good luck! If Kia is willing to replace the engine after they investigate more, take the offer!
🚙💨

1 - 20 of 28 Posts