Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My US model 2013 Kia Soul!, which has a 2.0 L engine, has held up great over the years. It has just over 60K miles, and has never had any major issues. I am the original owner, and have all of my service done at the dealership from which I purchased it.

On Tuesday, I experienced mild bucking in reverse but no indicator light came on and car drove fine for the 8 mile drive. On the return trip, I experienced even milder bucking in reverse and a slightly detectable lack of power to the engine when first putting it into drive, at which point the check engine light came on steady. After the first minute, the car drove fine for the rest of the 8 mile drive.

I brought the car to the dealership first thing the next morning. While the check engine light was still on steady, the car drove fine in reverse and in drive for the 10 mile trip to the dealership.

They took a look at it and said that cylinder three was misfiring. I was told that they “dropped in a new _” (can’t remember the term) and “put on new spark plugs” and the entire garage filled with smoke when they started it up. The service advisor asked if I had noticed any smoking, which I had not. I am fairly observant, and I park my car in an integral garage. Previously, I self diagnosed a stuck caliper by the smell it emitted in my garage, so I believe that I would have noticed any obvious smoking. The service advisor said that it had burned through more oil than it should have since my last visit. I was shocked when the next words out of his mouth were that my engine is toast and I need a new one. I was even more shocked when he said that the current wait time for a new engine is two to three months!

It is covered under the powertrain warranty, so there will be no cost to me. The dealership is working on getting me a loaner; I guess they are all loaned out at the moment. I currently have a rental for 3 days, which may be extended to 8, being paid for my my extended warranty coverage.

A random aside; the service advisor drove my car up front so I could clear out my personal belongings. I watched as he drove up; no smoke, no smell, no bucking, which just made me scratch my head.

For anyone who has made it this far, here are my questions for the community:

1. What on earth happened to my engine?

2. Is it normal for it to take two to three months for a replacement?!

3. In the event that my dealership cannot produce a loaner vehicle, is there any chance Kia Corporate will cover rental fees? Three months seems like an excessive wait, and it will cost a fortune to rent a car for that long.

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,617 Posts
Sounds like you are in the midst of what many others have experienced. Lots of reading for you on this forum. I'd say hope for the best but expect the worst. Document everything during this time.

You never mentioned that you checked your oil level. My advice to anyone whose car is acting strange or throws a check engine light is STOP. Don't drive it around the block or even restart it until you CHECK your oil level. If it's low or not even showing on the dipstick, you can do catastrophic damage by driving it a few miles to the dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply!

The service advisor said that the car was about a quart low on oil, as opposed to what it should be. He said that it must have been burning through oil, even though I never saw any evidence of it.

Kia says that will replace the engine with a brand new one. Are there any other problems I should expect aside from the crazy long wait (2-3 months) and the potential problem of securing a loaner vehicle?

In addition, the spread of the COVID-19 to South Korea has already started to effect factories and supply chains (e.g., Samsung has closed one of their factories). If it becomes a widespread outbreak, I can only imagine what will happen to the wait time for a new engine.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,617 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

The service advisor said that the car was about a quart low on oil, as opposed to what it should be. He said that it must have been burning through oil, even though I never saw any evidence of it.

Kia says that will replace the engine with a brand new one. Are there any other problems I should expect aside from the crazy long wait (2-3 months) and the potential problem of securing a loaner vehicle?

In addition, the spread of the COVID-19 to South Korea has already started to effect factories and supply chains (e.g., Samsung has closed one of their factories). If it becomes a widespread outbreak, I can only imagine what will happen to the wait time for a new engine.
Dang, good point on the carona virus aspect. Things can get sketchy really fast. If nothing else, I'm sure it can be used as an excuse too.

More than likely the "new engine" term they gave you will be a rebuilt short block. Like I said above, hope for the best but expect the worst. It may work out just fine. There may be some "teething" issues with the engine replacement. You know, like an organ transplant, there may be some visits back to the dealer for adjustments. The good news is you're getting basically a new engine and a fresh start, at no dollar cost to you. That's pretty cool :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just spoke with my service advisor, and he said that Kia Corporate will pick up the tab for my rental. What a relief!

People tend to bash dealerships, but sometimes maintaining a service relationship with them is beneficial. Who knows, maybe, since it is under warranty, they would have done the same for anyone, but it probably doesn’t hurt that I have an established relationship with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some Kia engines were not properly cleaned and inspected which resulted in metal debris remaining inside the engine. Over time, the debris restricted oil flow in the engine which resulted in engine failure. Some VINs have recalls for the engine replacement. Kia offered absolutely no help for my failed engine as it was not covered by the recall. Also, if you bought the car used, the warranty is reduced. If you look at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site, you will see many complaints associated with Kia Soul engine failures. If anyone has had a similar engine failure, I recommend logging into the NHTSA web site and filing a complaint. I expect another recall for additional VINs.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
People tend to bash dealerships, but sometimes maintaining a service relationship with them is beneficial.
Nah, they still are all bastards.😂 Some people got really screwed by dealers. The only reason they gave you a loaner is because Kia pays for it under warranty, which wasn't the case a few years ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We need to support each other and get the message out! One persons voice can be multiplied to the point we are heard. Dollars is the only thing that works with these unscrupulous companies who otherwise will not do the right thing! There are multiple web based sites you can send your complaints.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My service advisor called, and my engine came in today! If everything goes well, I should have my car back by the middle or end of next week.

I am sorry to hear about other people having trouble. I did look up my VIN, and my car was not part of any recall. Perhaps, as it has been suggested, they need to expand the recall.

I looked over my warranty materials, and there is no loaner or rental coverage under my 2013 warranty. I am grateful that Kia corporate either changed this policy or offered to cover the expense as a courtesy. I do recognize that my dealership didn’t just give me a rental out of the kindness of their heart (it is an actual rental vs. a loaner, which they also have).

While I am disappointed that this situation came about, overall the service center at my dealership has made it painless. Hopefully, I will be singing the same tune once the repair has been made.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ugh! I got a call earlier today from my service advisor that my car was ready. I called back to make sure that the car was ready to go, because I wanted to limit the amount of time spent at the dealership (I live in a state that has closed all non-essential businesses).

I get in and out nice and quick. I turn the car on, adjust my seat, look up and the check engine light is on!!!!!

They take it back and send me home in the rental. I got a call a few minutes ago saying that they had to order a coil kit because one of my coils is bad. I asked how new coils could be bad, and he says that they reuse the old coils and spark plugs in the new engine.

I have to wonder how they missed that. I am guessing that they are trying to pump out cars in the event of further shutdowns. I hope they fix it 100%. With only one vehicle, I would hate for this to become an ongoing problem in the midst of the outbreak situation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the car today and it seemed fine on the ride home.

I asked the service advisor if there was anything I should watch out for beyond the obvious check engine light. He said the next thing to watch out for was the transmission and mentioned that my catalytic converters has an extended manufacturer warranty of +80k miles because they have been causing people problems. Not the answer that I was expecting!

I hope nothing else major goes on with my car, especially since it only has 60k miles on it and has been well maintained.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have left my car in the driveway since picking it up a week ago. Today, after sanitizing the hard surfaces inside, I took it for a drive around the neighborhood.

This is the first time that I have driven it since I drove it home. There is a loud ticking noise coming from under the hood. Any idea what could be causing it? With the current shut down, I don’t want to go back to the dealership now. I pulled it into my garage, and I’ll take it for another test drive in a few days.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Many of the GDI injector pumps have a foam sound insulation cover or wrap. Maybe the dealer forgot to carry that over from your old engine??? That makes a good ticking sound.

Pop off your engine cover and see if the pump is "naked".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts