Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I downloaded and installed the latest Nav/Audio update for my 2021 KIA Soul with the 11" Wide Screen. I was quite surprised and impressed with the progress. I have been complaining for over a year since I installed the "Nixie Tube" firmware. It took a while, but it looks like my complaints along with everyone else's has had an impact for the positive. Here are some of the changes I noticed:

1. Nixie Tubes are gone.
2. Presets are now located on the left side, like they used to be prior to the Nixie Tube updates. They include channel logos for SXM channels, and logos for FM stations that have a HD radio stream.
3. The up and down buttons on the steering wheel now work properly. Up and Down now are corrected, and pressing the buttons moves the station or preset up or down on the channel/preset listing.
4. Album art is now present for SXM stations. Possibly the same for FM HD stations, but not confirmed yet. I will report back after a couple days.
5. A button was added on the bottom left of the screen to "list channels." This feature is awesome. Pressing the button makes a list of ALL channels (with filters available).
6. Voice commands for changing radio channels now works great. You can use channel number, or channel name.
7. Navigation options are now better.
8. Startup time is shorter, and a USB stick (or external SSD) directory structure is read much faster now.

That's all I can think of at this moment.

One last thing that I am still waiting for is revision of the "Purple Hell" home screen. The map is still faded with no street names. IMO, the home screen does not need to exist at all. Simply restore the last mode of operation when you start the vehicle.

Unfortunately no 3 pane display. Not the end of the world. I am very happy that they have taken some of our suggestions and implemented them.

If anyone else knows of any additional features or changes, please post as a reply.

Lighttech

·
Registered
571 Posts
Interesting. I downloaded the update on April 29. I was surprised it only took about 25 minutes to load on a flash drive. When I went to load on my 2020EX, the update said it would take about 45 minutes. It took an hour and fifteen to load. Note that have had all the prior updates installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One thing I notice on the new update is the music fades in and fades out after shut off... before it was instant off
After updating my 2022 soul turbo, the music does fade on and off. Also like the navigation countdown in place of me having to hit a button. Cons are, my music will cut out as if I was on the phone several times a minute, the Nav system will not connect to the network and Kia access can no longer connect to my vehicle. In contact with the dealer who is dealing with Kia's Autoline for corrective actions on it. Plus, mine was supposed to have SCC Stop and Go, but the feature never worked. The are working on that also. Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EX
32 Posts
I of course am waiting for the update. I read somewhere where someone took the Seltos update and applied it to their Kia (EV I think?) and got Android Auto to work Wireless now. I'm eager to see if they finally turned that on for the 2020 and up, I don't see why not it's all the same radio in so many models for years now.

Good to hear they got rid of the tubes and the buttons work right! Thanks! I'll keep my eye on this post for a bit.

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
256 Posts
I downloaded the update yesterday and all went well. It took about 35 minutes to download onto my 64 Gig USB and about 50 minutes to install on my soul. I'm directionally challenged so I rely on the GPS to save me. It's nice to be able to update the maps for free twice a year.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My only complaint is that you only have the digital clock option now on the screen. I much preferred the analog cloc. Please bring it back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I downloaded the update yesterday and all went well. It took about 35 minutes to download onto my 64 Gig USB and about 50 minutes to install on my soul. I'm directionally challenged so I rely on the GPS to save me. It's nice to be able to update the maps for free twice a year.
I'm really confused, lol.I have a 2020 soul EX w/upgraded pkge. 10.25" display. Mapnsoft says it's available for dwnld 5/13/22 ?? 100G free needed on computer ?? Must be a 64G USB stick, not 128 0r 32 ?? Car has to sit running 1hour or more to load it ?? Seems most dealers won't go near this upgrade ?? I hope some of you can clear confusion. TIA

·
Registered
571 Posts
I believe that the 64Gb on the USB stick is a minimum. So 128 should be fine. 32 GB is too small the download to the stick is about 35Gb. There was also an upgrade to the computer program that has to be loaded on your computer to be able to download the update but I don’t think it’s 100G. If it was I would have been in trouble,

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe that the 64Gb on the USB stick is a minimum. So 128 should be fine. 32 GB is too small the download to the stick is about 35Gb. There was also an upgrade to the computer program that has to be loaded on your computer to be able to download the update but I don’t think it’s 100G. If it was I would have been in trouble,
Thanks Tree, I'll wait a few days after the "5/12" date & check the forums & sites

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm really confused, lol.I have a 2020 soul EX w/upgraded pkge. 10.25" display. Mapnsoft says it's available for dwnld 5/13/22 ?? 100G free needed on computer ?? Must be a 64G USB stick, not 128 0r 32 ?? Car has to sit running 1hour or more to load it ?? Seems most dealers won't go near this upgrade ?? I hope some of you can clear confusion. TIA
I drove my car while the maps were updating.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You need at least a 64G USB. You can also use a USB with a larger capacity.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yesterday I downloaded and installed the latest Nav/Audio update for my 2021 KIA Soul with the 11" Wide Screen. I was quite surprised and impressed with the progress. I have been complaining for over a year since I installed the "Nixie Tube" firmware. It took a while, but it looks like my complaints along with everyone else's has had an impact for the positive. Here are some of the changes I noticed:

1. Nixie Tubes are gone.
2. Presets are now located on the left side, like they used to be prior to the Nixie Tube updates. They include channel logos for SXM channels, and logos for FM stations that have a HD radio stream.
3. The up and down buttons on the steering wheel now work properly. Up and Down now are corrected, and pressing the buttons moves the station or preset up or down on the channel/preset listing.
4. Album art is now present for SXM stations. Possibly the same for FM HD stations, but not confirmed yet. I will report back after a couple days.
5. A button was added on the bottom left of the screen to "list channels." This feature is awesome. Pressing the button makes a list of ALL channels (with filters available).
6. Voice commands for changing radio channels now works great. You can use channel number, or channel name.
8. Startup time is shorter, and a USB stick (or external SSD) directory structure is read much faster now.

One last thing that I am still waiting for is revision of the "Purple Hell" home screen. The map is still faded with no street names. IMO, the home screen does not need to exist at all. Simply restore the last mode of operation when you start the vehicle.

Unfortunately no 3 pane display. Not the end of the world. I am very happy that they have taken some of our suggestions and implemented them.

If anyone else knows of any additional features or changes, please post as a reply.

Lighttech
Yes. I’ve been wondering when planning routes in navigation setting

1. Nixie Tubes are gone.

Lighttech
Yes... I was wondering on my 2022 EX GPS when selecting routes there would be an option to avoid gravel roads. Both WAZE and SYGIC on my iPhone have that option. I prefer using the built in system for various reasons including the audio route change announcements which have much more clarity.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EX
32 Posts
Well I ran the update tonight. 2020 EX 11" screen. I was seriously hoping to magically get native support for Wireless Android Auto, but nope... It gets worse.

Pros: The Tubes are gone from the radio and it just looks like a boring radio, I'm ok with that. I didn't have much of an issue with the tubes, but the preset list was dumb along the bottom and hard to navigate unless you were driving 20mph on a smooth road. The boot time? I'll have to check that next time I get in the car.

Cons: No Wireless AA support still. C'mon! I was also using a Carsifi dongle to get Wireless AA (which I still have to use) and now I've been getting an error when the phone tries to connect. Not cool. I'm working on troubleshooting that now. Basically it was saying "android auto communication error 8 " something about the date & time not being right. Yeah, that's got to get fixed before I go back to work Monday. Also still no proper wide screen support from AA. Oh and the steering wheel buttons are still the same. Down to advance, up to go back in music.

Otherwise I'll have to wait and see how it all performs. The update took over 1.5hrs from a pretty decent little 64GB stick I've been using just for the updates. Kind of underwhelming.

·
Registered
571 Posts
That a little longer 15 minutes than the 1.25 hours it took to install on my 2020 EX. I wish they had not dropped the analog clock though.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul EX
32 Posts
That a little longer 15 minutes than the 1.25 hours it took to install on my 2020 EX. I wish they had not dropped the analog clock though.
I don't understand why they would drop something like that, it's so benign. But yeah, the install time doesn't bother me so much what bothers me is all that time for what? I still have to figure out why my Carsifi adapter suddenly doesn't work. I'll have to tinker with the time settings I guess.

·
Registered
345 Posts
FYI with this map upgrade (and earlier ones) with Voice Recognition (VR) capability, I've not been able to get directions to an exact address. Instead, general locations are the result. So I contacted Consumer Support. They said when using the VR from the steering wheel, I can ask for a specific address but when using VR from the map screen or elsewhere, only Points Of Interest can be found. So I tried using the steering wheel VR and am first prompted for the state. Once the system knows that, I found I can ask for the street/city address and it does find it precisely. That is a nuance you want to note.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts