Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new soul for all of 3 days and I noticed that when in Cruise Control at 65 MPH it is running at 2750 RPM. If I turn it off and manually apply throttle it runs at 2000 RPM. This leads me to believe the trans is not adjusted properly. Anyone else having this issue?

I had my last Soul for 6 years and liked it so much I bought an identical one :))

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,124 Posts
I have had my new soul for all of 3 days and I noticed that when in Cruise Control at 65 MPH it is running at 2750 RPM. If I turn it off and manually apply throttle it runs at 2000 RPM. This leads me to believe the trans is not adjusted properly. Anyone else having this issue?

I had my last Soul for 6 years and liked it so much I bought an identical one :))
Using the Advanced Search feature, located to your right at the upper part of your screen behind the 3 vertical dots, I was able to locate some previous chatter and threads on this topic.

What don't you like?

Search results for query: Cruise control

Reactions: dfinn-10

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

The only way this could be possible is if cruise was somehow downshifting your transmission into a lower gear in order to hold it at that speed, which is pretty likely if you are in a hilly area, because you might feather the throttle with your foot to keep from downshifting whereas cruise control doesn't care anything about feathering the throttle, only holding your speed steady. Otherwise, on flat ground, 2750 RPM in cruise, in the same gear as with manual throttle, is going to be a faster speed than 2000 RPM.

If you eliminate that as an issue, then you need to bring it back to the dealer. You've had it 3 days and it's under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have already made and appointment and will put a resolution here if we get one on Thursday. I live in a very flat part of NJ and only tested it on an apparently flat area. You are correct about the downshift but I am assuming it is a transmission setting.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have already made and appointment and will put a resolution here if we get one on Thursday. I live in a very flat part of NJ and only tested it on an apparently flat area. You are correct about the downshift but I am assuming it is a transmission setting.

Thanks for the input.
I've always noticed that on my '20 Soul. Hills and windy conditions certainly can impact how cruise works. But I believe cruise wants to stay at the higher rpm so it has more power to react to changing conditions. If it drops to 2000 rpm, it's not going to be able to respond fast enough. My thoughts.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
An interesting thought,but..... mine don't work that way.
The two 2020 Souls that I've owned, so far, work exactly the same. Cruise Control included.
I can get the car up to 55 mph (for instance) on a two lane, state road, and set the Cruise Control to ON.
And then, put the shift lever in Manual mode and bump it up to 8th Gear, (over drive) and the system will put me right on down the road with the tach reading about 1750 rpm.
The speed will remain pretty close, as the road rises or lowers slightly. No mountains, just rolling countryside. (very typical for Central Florida)
I find it a very comfortable ride, as the engine just purrrrrs along, like a happy kitten. And if I drive far enough, the Average MPG display will slowly climb up to 41 mpg or better. I really like that, with gas prices hovering around the $3 per gallon range. (Thank Goodness, for Shell, that gives me a $.10 per gallon discount, and then emails me my receipt.)

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
Happy 2022!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
300 Posts
An interesting thought,but..... mine don't work that way.
The two 2020 Souls that I've owned, so far, work exactly the same. Cruise Control included.
I can get the car up to 55 mph (for instance) on a two lane, state road, and set the Cruise Control to ON.
And then, put the shift lever in Manual mode and bump it up to 8th Gear, (over drive) and the system will put me right on down the road with the tach reading about 1750 rpm.
The speed will remain pretty close, as the road rises or lowers slightly. No mountains, just rolling countryside. (very typical for Central Florida)
I find it a very comfortable ride, as the engine just purrrrrs along, like a happy kitten. And if I drive far enough, the Average MPG display will slowly climb up to 41 mpg or better. I really like that, with gas prices hovering around the $3 per gallon range. (Thank Goodness, for Shell, that gives me a $.10 per gallon discount, and then emails me my receipt.)

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
Happy 2022!
FLH :cool:
I do the same. When I first received my Soul I was wondering if being in 8th and cruise would bog the engine. Experience has shown when the hills steepen, the car just slows down. Naturally I want to stay at the posted speed so I take control back.

·
Registered
Soul EX 2022
3 Posts
I have the same. My Soul 2022 EX crouis control keeps ~2500 while using pedal I'm keeping ~2000. For the slope it's ~3000 v.s. ~2500. What a hell is this?

·
Registered
Soul EX 2022
3 Posts

Thanks for the input.
What you figured out ?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the same. My Soul 2022 EX crouis control keeps ~2500 while using pedal I'm keeping ~2000. For the slope it's ~3000 v.s. ~2500. What a hell is this?
I had a Ford Mustang GT with manual transmission. In that car, engine RPM was exactly where I set it when turning on cruise because the car couldn't shift gears. In Souls with the CVT/IVT, it simply adjusts so more power is available to be able to stay at the chosen speed. At ~2000, there's not enough power to do that. My opinion.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've always noticed that on my '20 Soul. Hills and windy conditions certainly can impact how cruise works. But I believe cruise wants to stay at the higher rpm so it has more power to react to changing conditions. If it drops to 2000 rpm, it's not going to be able to respond fast enough. My thoughts.
My cruise control acts exactly the same way. i have noticed though that it is very sensitive to the contour of the terrain I’m driving. Speed will drop or increase on even very slight grades. I’ve also notice that one the engime/transmission is very warm the tranny will automatically shift int 8th gear.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
If in full Automatic mode, I've never seen the IVT shift into any gear above 6th. That's just not in its nature.
I think you're miss-reading something, somewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts