Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think JD is talking about the oil light. In our souls it comes on only when there is low oil pressure. It might not mean your engine is a goner, but I guess that would depend on how long you let the light flicker. I’d assume if someone lets the oil get so low there’s low pressure, they would probably ignore the light too.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,132 Posts
I think JD is talking about the oil light. In our souls they come on only when there is low oil pressure. It might not mean your engine is a goner, but I guess that would depend on how long you let the light flicker. I’d assume if someone lets the oil get so low there’s low pressure, they would probably ignore the light too.
My dads generation called it the "dummy" light. They preferred gauges, because by the time the light comes on, the damage is done.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Incorrect.

The Check Engine Soon (CES) or Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) as determined by the Engine Control Module (ECM) indicates an impending or actual Diagnostics Trouble Code (DTC). That could be the "Lamp of Death" but not necessarily so.

A reality check imposes here.

1) - Millions of North Americans are not following recommended maintenance schedules on a regular basis. Yet, their automobiles survive, often for years before finally failing. Mechanics and do-it-yourselfers have a long history of rescuing and restoring abused automobiles.

2) Uncertainty. Yes, uncertainty is a thing. You can talk around it, you can panic and reach for the most emotionally satisfying option, or you can attempt to calmly assess it by spending some time, effort and possibly money to reduce the uncertainty and provide more information to help make decisions.
I'm talking about the low oil pressure light. Once you get that, you've already done the deed. Hell, I've had cars that you could drive around with the CEL for thousands of miles. In fact, I'm doing that right now with my Soul :D

As for the millions of people not following recommended maintenance, it's one reason I'm not too keen on buying used cars any more. Cars are built so well today, and so dummy-proof, that by the time they fail the failure is usually catastrophic. Clearance tolerances are so tight today that by the time you get to 100k miles you're just then getting wear to the point of where new car tolerances were 30 years ago. In other words, you didn't used to get away with total neglect of a vehicle like you can for a time today. And yeah, anything can be restored - I've built cars and engines from boxes of parts - but most people don't have any interest in doing that, and it's crazy expensive.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
My dads generation called it the "dummy" light. They preferred gauges, because by the time the light comes on, the damage is done.
Same. I prefer real readings for that exact reason. I'd hate to think if plane cockpits had the kinds of instrumentation controls that we have today in our cars 🤣 Every car should have a real tachometer, oil pressure gauge, temperature gauge, and if you have an automatic, a transmission temperature gauge. My first Titan had all of them, which is exactly how a truck should come outfitted, and my Miata has all of them except the transmission temp gauge but it's a 5 speed manual so it wouldn't matter. Cars today have freaking radios that will tell you what microphone your favorite rapper used or who they're shacking up with but can't tell you the condition of your oil pressure until it's too late (n):rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Same. I prefer real readings for that exact reason. I'd hate to think if plane cockpits had the kinds of instrumentation controls that we have today in our cars 🤣 Every car should have a real tachometer, oil pressure gauge, temperature gauge, and if you have an automatic, a transmission temperature gauge. My first Titan had all of them, which is exactly how a truck should come outfitted, and my Miata has all of them except the transmission temp gauge but it's a 5 speed manual so it wouldn't matter. Cars today have freaking radios that will tell you what microphone your favorite rapper used or who they're shacking up with but can't tell you the condition of your oil pressure until it's too late (n):rolleyes:
Totally agree jd. When you think how incredibly important the oil level/oil pressure is to the health of an engine, it's crazy to think that's the one gauge car manufacturers would replace with an "idjit" light.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Totally agree jd. When you think how incredibly important the oil level/oil pressure is to the health of an engine, it's crazy to think that's the one gauge car manufacturers would replace with an "idjit" light.
It wouldn’t be as bad if the manufacturer put a low oil level light that turned on if the car was say, 1 quart low. I’ve seen some vehicles with a gauge that’s fake too. The gauge just goes to a predetermined spot like half way up and never changes with the rpm like it should. I guess it’s better than nothing though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DON'T. YELL. AT. ME.
I skipped an oil change. I've had crazy stuff going on, and honestly no one in my family has ever done regular oil changes on their vehicles and we've all lucked out, I guess.
Anyway, my 2017 Soul + was making weird noises so I took it in. They found less than a quart of oil, and there was metal glitter in it. They filled it back up. It's running smoothly now, but the mechanic said some very gloomy things about probably having to replace the engine.
I'm FREAKING OUT. I am still paying this car off and really can't afford an engine replacement.
Please talk to me about your experiences.
Thanks 😭
I use microwave oven magnets on all my cars oil filters.It will helpcatch the metal filings.You engine may last a while but
I don’t know what to tell you. You have to keep a better eye on the oil level since it seems the engine is consuming oil (you can search the forum on tips to help with that) and you have to make sure you change it when it’s due, preferably every 5,000 miles. GDi engines from any manufacturer are most happy when they have clean oil at the proper level.

You most likely have serious engine damage. Metal glitter is not good and maybe you escaped engine failure for the time being, but I don’t know if it will be reliable long term now. How many miles did you end up going since your last oil change?

How many miles are on the car and did you buy it new? If the engine blows up and it’s still under warranty, Kia might still replace it, but they’ll be able to tell if you didn’t maintain the engine with regular oil changes and could deny your claim. Whatever you do, don’t tell Kia you let the engine get close to running out of oil.
Put a fairly large magnet on the oil filter.It will help catch the metal filings.I use old microwave oven magnets.Very very strong..

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I use microwave oven magnets on all my cars oil filters.It will helpcatch the metal filings.You engine may last a while but

Put a fairly large magnet on the oil filter.It will help catch the metal filings.I use old microwave oven magnets.Very very strong..
Have you seen those oil drain plugs that are magnetized? Our FLhamster swears by them. He'll probably pop in here shortly.

• Wow
Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It wouldn’t be as bad if the manufacturer put a low oil level light that turned on if the car was say, 1 quart low. I’ve seen some vehicles with a gauge that’s fake too. The gauge just goes to a predetermined spot like half way up and never changes with the rpm like it should. I guess it’s better than nothing though.
Actually I think the "fake gauge" is worse than nothing because it gives the driver the false impression that S/he is looking at actual data, until the needle falls to 0. Considering the price of a real calibrated gauge and an oil pressure sender is virtually nothing it really needs to be one of those mandated things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DON'T. YELL. AT. ME.
I skipped an oil change. I've had crazy stuff going on, and honestly no one in my family has ever done regular oil changes on their vehicles and we've all lucked out, I guess.
Anyway, my 2017 Soul + was making weird noises so I took it in. They found less than a quart of oil, and there was metal glitter in it. They filled it back up. It's running smoothly now, but the mechanic said some very gloomy things about probably having to replace the engine.
I'm FREAKING OUT. I am still paying this car off and really can't afford an engine replacement.
Please talk to me about your experiences.
Thanks 😭
Have you ever checked your oil between oil changes to see if it was using oil?

If not, your car may have been using it all along.

You may have one of the cars that had metal shavings from when the car was new.

They have replaced some engines , but never did a recall.

If

·
Registered
2017 Kia Soul 2.0 gdi
1 Posts
I have a 2017 Kia Soul + and I got it with 50,000 miles when i got it it was making funny noises so I change my oil and there was a glitter I’ll put oil stabilizer in with 2 quarts of oil and now I have 136,000 miles with no trouble so buddy I would say that you were good The dealership told me the same thing and I improvised paid 25K for it I would just recommend changing the oil every 3000 miles and install an old Ketchikan so you can look at the usage of oil and don’t use full synthetic use conventional you’re better off that’s just my opinion

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I have a 2017 Kia Soul + and I got it with 50,000 miles when i got it it was making funny noises so I change my oil and there was a glitter I’ll put oil stabilizer in with 2 quarts of oil and now I have 136,000 miles with no trouble so buddy I would say that you were good The dealership told me the same thing and I improvised paid 25K for it I would just recommend changing the oil every 3000 miles and install an old Ketchikan so you can look at the usage of oil and don’t use full synthetic use conventional you’re better off that’s just my opinion
Congrats Jerry on getting so many more miles on your Soul. That's great to hear! Can you give a little more detail on why you encourage conventional oil usage as being better than full synthetic? Thanks.

Reactions: celronart

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats Jerry on getting so many more miles on your Soul. That's great to hear! Can you give a little more detail on why you encourage conventional oil usage as being better than full synthetic? Thanks.
Asking for myself: How can you know if there is 'glitter' in your oil if you always have your oil changed at the dealer?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Asking for myself: How can you know if there is 'glitter' in your oil if you always have your oil changed at the dealer?
Good question lilymay. You'd have to hope the person who changed the oil even noticed it, and then that person would have to record said "glitter" somewhere and then hope that fact eventually gets relayed to you by an upfront/honest service person (the question for them: is it better to reveal or not stir things up?)

It's definitely a fair argument for changing your own oil.

Reactions: Lilymay30

·
Registered
838 Posts
If your Soul engine sounds like it wants to play Glam or Power Rock, you know there is glitter somewhere in there.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts