Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bless you for not wanting to pass a potentially bad problem on to some unsuspecting used car buyer -- that's what gives used cars bad names, & makes people hesitant to "buy someone else's problem" when, in fact, many used cars are very good. I wonder if that Prolong engine treatment would help this issue? It has GREAT reviews & stories of people running out of oil, & the engine not locking up, etc. Might be worth a try! I ordered some from Amazon & am going to have it put in with my next oil change.

·
Registered
335 Posts
When I was in the Navy in the 80s I had a 79 Olds Delta 88 that had both a massive oil leak at the pan and rear main seal, and no rings left. I got the car for free from a guy on my ship that wrecked my truck while it was getting fixed. When I drove down the street it looked like the car was on fire, like some kind of James Bond smoke screen, and between that and the oil leak it would use a quart or two every time you drove it, and overnight it would lose a quart (I used to keep a cardboard box under it in the apartment parking lot). I would carry a case of oil in the trunk of the car at first and then I started getting used motor oil from the local gas stations in antifreeze and wiper fluid bottles and I would just use that. It had a massive 400+ cubic inch engine and aside from the smoke screen it could really haul ass.

Aside from the massive oil leak it had a massive short in it somewhere such that if you went anywhere and left the battery hooked up for more than 20-30 minutes it wouldn't start. I got to be a pro that every time I came out to the car from overnight, being at work or at a club, I'd pop the hood, hook the battery back up, add a couple quarts of oil and cruise on down the road. When I was getting transferred to a new duty station, by then my truck was fixed, so I took the car out to long term cruise parking, pulled the battery cable, left the title in the glove box and keys in the ignition, and doors unlocked, and left. A few months later on my last cruise my ship pulled into port (Norfolk) and I walked out to long term parking, and there was the car still sitting there. I hooked up the battery and added about 3-4 quarts of used motor oil and it started on the first shot :ROFLMAO: . So I was the only one on my ship with a car to drive for the weekend. When the weekend was over I gave it to a friend of mine in a bar, wrote a bill of sale on a bar napkin. He drove it all the way to Alabama, parked it at his parent's house and it never started again.
That sounds like you just gave that old car a place to goto then pass on to the next.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DON'T. YELL. AT. ME.
I skipped an oil change. I've had crazy stuff going on, and honestly no one in my family has ever done regular oil changes on their vehicles and we've all lucked out, I guess.
Anyway, my 2017 Soul + was making weird noises so I took it in. They found less than a quart of oil, and there was metal glitter in it. They filled it back up. It's running smoothly now, but the mechanic said some very gloomy things about probably having to replace the engine.
I'm FREAKING OUT. I am still paying this car off and really can't afford an engine replacement.
Please talk to me about your experiences.
Thanks 😭
Might be part of the piston ring recall. It should not loose oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DON'T. YELL. AT. ME.
I skipped an oil change. I've had crazy stuff going on, and honestly no one in my family has ever done regular oil changes on their vehicles and we've all lucked out, I guess.
Anyway, my 2017 Soul + was making weird noises so I took it in. They found less than a quart of oil, and there was metal glitter in it. They filled it back up. It's running smoothly now, but the mechanic said some very gloomy things about probably having to replace the engine.
I'm FREAKING OUT. I am still paying this car off and really can't afford an engine replacement.
Thanks 😭
You have the warrenty correct? I have the same issue with my 2017 and the engine is being replaced. Luckily I caught it at 99600 miles

·
Registered
27 Posts
Say nothing and trade it in. If it is running great right now, anything you tell Carmax or Carvana is going to be speculation. Just like our advice is speculation. It's possible that all the mechanic saw was just normal wear and tear. Not likely, and those of us that have been here forever and gone through a thousand low oil engine threads know better, but it's still possible. None of us are looking at your engine. The mechanic has no way of knowing for sure that the bearings are shredded without tearing down the engine.

If you don't want to go that route, then you should just keep it, wait for the engine to fail and replace it.
Gessshusss! You just encouraged a young person to be devious and transfer his/her problem onto some other unsuspecting person who also has to buy a used car. Maybe a young mother with children? A person on social security who needs a car to stay independent? May Karma bite you where it hurts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DON'T. YELL. AT. ME.
Thanks 😭
Bought used 2017 2.0. 60K on it
At 80K engine internally crashed. Kia would do nothing as I wasn't original owner.
Put used engine in it with 60K on.
Now, 20K miles more have been put on it. Engine using oil lots. Oil light flickering idle. Changed filter, oil, and oil pressure sender. Works now. No flickering.
Got recall from Kia for knock senđer. Visit them next week. Stayed tuned.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
no one in my family has ever done regular oil changes on their vehicles and we've all lucked out
I suppose expectations vary. I expect to get AT LEAST 250,000 miles out of every new car I buy. If you don't do scheduled maintenance (oil changes, transmission fluid changes, coolant changes, tire rotation, etc), then you won't get 250K miles out of your car. If your expectations are lower... let's say that you only expect 60,000 miles out of every new car you buy... then... sure, your car will last as long as you expect (if you don't do all of the scheduled maintenance).

It all comes down to this:

Do you want to spend $20-50K every 5 years on a car, or would you rather extend that expense over a longer period of time?

NOTE: all that "maintenance stuff" is listed in your owner's manual. Don't believe the idiots in the tire shops that want to sell you unnecessary "maintenance".

For example:
I have never changed the brake fluid in a car in my lifetime (except for times when I did major brake work like replacing the master cylinder, calipers, or slave cylinders), and I have owned a few cars that were 20+ years old.

Two hours after I changed the brake fluid in my son's car (because I replaced both front brake calipers), a tire shop told me that I needed to change the brake fluid (along with a bunch of other things that were not really necessary).

I asked them if they tested the "pH" of the brake fluid (a measure of alkalinity/acidity). If the brake fluid becomes too acidic, this is the ONLY reason to change it.

I have the correct kit to test brake fluid pH, and my son's car did not have acidic brake fluid two hours before I took it to the tire shop.

They told me that they had tested it!!! The liars wanted to charge me almost $500 for things that the car did not need!

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
Thank you for your kind words. This is my first car that isn't a "college kid car" and honestly, I thought I was taking okay (not great, but acceptable) care of it.
Sorry that your parents didn't teach you how to care for a car, but you should have been able to Google it.

I'm gonna chalk this one up to an ID10T error.

If you're an old-time computer geek like me, we called it a "short between the keyboard and the floor".

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
All they've asked, really, is if the check engine light is on. Which is kind of terrifying, because I'm thinking they might just pass it on to an unsuspecting buyer
Yes, they will. And... they don't care. Once you trade it in to Carvana, CarMax, or some other dealership, it is no longer your problem.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
I think I'll go with CarMax. I've read that their cars undergo pretty thorough inspections... If my engine is really damaged, I think they'll catch it and send it to auction.
Ha ha ha!!! LOL! You are so naïve! The world doesn't work that way. CarMax will sell it to whichever sucker will pay the highest price! That's what ALL car sales people do, regardless of whether it is a used or new car.

My recommendation: Next time, do the required maintenance on your vehicle.

I have always said, "Take care of your car, and your car will take care of you."

Words to live by.

"Deep thoughts" by Jack Handey:

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
I'm not telling you to be dishonest, but you are fooling yourself if you think Carmax cares one way or the other what you and the mechanic and us here on the forum think. All that will happen is they will give you less money for the car and still sell it just as always, because it is a numbers game for them. They're not going to rebuild your engine or sell it to single soccer mom for less money. If you feel that conflicted about it, you should keep it and drive it until it dies then replace the engine and sell it.
Can I give this 10,000 likes?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
Every time my odometer's last three digits reads 000 or 500, I check the oil. In case anyone here is terrible at basic math, that's called lifting the hood and checking the oil (engine cold) every 500 miles. Takes less than two minutes start-to-finish.

I have no sympathy for negligent vehicle owners..... sorry.
I agree with you 100%. Check your fluids weekly, regardless of mileage.

This kinda reminds me of the movie "Dr. Strangelove", and "our precious bodily fluids".

You are too young if you don't see the humor in this post!!! Remember: the movie was intended to be "dark humor".

·
Registered
2019 Kia Soul +, 2.0L
129 Posts
DON'T. YELL. AT. ME.
Thanks 😭
I'm taking a wild guess here, but I'm guessing that you're about 21 years old?

My son is 25 and my daughter is 22. I drill it into their heads that maintenance is incredibly important. My son "gets" it, but my daughter doesn't. So... I hound her to send me a photo of her odometer when I think she's about to hit a maintenance milestone. I pay for that maintenance. I also refuse to send money to her until she does that maintenance.

I recently flew down to Florida to do all of the 100,000 mile maintenance on her car.

Why?

Because "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". It is so much less expensive to do the routine maintenance than it is to fix the problems that are caused by the lack of maintenance. This is true for your car, your house, your body, and everything else you own.

Take care of your things. Do the routine maintenance. It will save you money in the long-run.

Take care of your body. Go to the doctor. Get routine check-ups. Get colonoscopies after age 50. Get mammograms after age 45.

Take care of your mind. Don't sit idly. Keep your mind active. If your job requires a lot of thought, that's great! If not, then do word puzzles and other things to keep your mind active.

Quite literally: "If you don't use it, you will lose it." That is true of your muscles and your mind.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

It was funny in the movie "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", but it's the absolute truth.

And who doesn't love Jeff Spicoli (Brad Pitt)? That guy made BANK on this movie!

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

It may save your life.

·
Registered
308 Posts
One last suggestion - replace it with a used engine: I had a lady co-worker that bought a new Toyota Corolla (1980s) and NEVER checked or changed the oil; many long trips from the North to the South; eventually, oil pressure light came on, engine seized; towed to nearest garage who informed her no oil; engine shot; she consulted a junk yard and got a relatively new engine from a wrecked identical Corolla; had it installed; $3K; no issues and she changes/checks oil now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One last suggestion - replace it with a used engine: I had a lady co-worker that bought a new Toyota Corolla (1980s) and NEVER checked or changed the oil; many long trips from the North to the South; eventually, oil pressure light came on, engine seized; towed to nearest garage who informed her no oil; engine shot; she consulted a junk yard and got a relatively new engine from a wrecked identical Corolla; had it installed; $3K; no issues and she changes/checks oil now.
Just drive it’s fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Gessshusss! You just encouraged a young person to be devious and transfer his/her problem onto some other unsuspecting person who also has to buy a used car. Maybe a young mother with children? A person on social security who needs a car to stay independent? May Karma bite you where it hurts.
Sorry, but you've got it upside down. You live in Mr. Roger's Land of Make-Believe, and I live in "The Real World". The poster ran it low on oil and likely chewed up the bearings and wanted to know what to do. I said sell it or trade it in, period, without comment. The poster then wanted to know how to be fair to themselves but also honest when they traded it in. Well, that's an oxymoron. The "fair", or "honest" thing for the original poster is to either put a new engine in it before trading it in, or keep it until the engine grenades, make the repairs and then sell it or trade it. A possible third option would be to sell it private party, with a written explanation that the bearings were likely gone from running it low on oil, and taking the best possible offer. What the OP wants to do is get a decent price for the car, because S/he cannot afford putting a new engine in the car, so that would be along the lines of trading it in/selling it to CarMax. In any instance like that there's no way you can be "honest" about the deal, because anything you tell the dealer or CarMax they're not going to care - they're going to short you on what they pay you, then they're going to clean up the car and sell it just like any other car. That's reality. If this poster does anything with this car other than keeping it or selling it private party, with a written explanation of what's happened, they are going to be passing their problem to some other person. Read further in my posts and you'll see my post on this very subject.

As for Karma biting me where it hurts, I'm too old to worry about that. I've got everything I need, and on the downhill side of life anyway 🤣

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry, but you've got it upside down. You live in Mr. Roger's Land of Make-Believe, and I live in "The Real World".
I guess you are right. If Poster trades it, he will lose about 5k. But since the poster is going to have to pay for the negligence anyway, might as well as get the engine fixed up for 2k(?) and keep the car and never let it go without maintenance. It's an expensive lesson. (But I'd ask the dealer why the engine light didn't warn of the low oil in the first place).
Because I do try to live in a Mr. Rogers World, I take back the Karma bit. 😝 I forgot to 'pause' before responding. Mr. Rogers would be so shamed of me. (PS. I'm too old, also)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I guess you are right. If Poster trades it, he will lose about 5k. But since the poster is going to have to pay for the negligence anyway, might as well as get the engine fixed up for 2k(?) and keep the car and never let it go without maintenance. It's an expensive lesson. (But I'd ask the dealer why the engine light didn't warn of the low oil in the first place).
Because I do try to live in a Mr. Rogers World, I take back the Karma bit. 😝 I forgot to 'pause' before responding. Mr. Rogers would be so shamed of me. (PS. I'm too old, also)
Once you get the light it's too late - the light should be called the "Lamp of Death" because once that light is flickering on these engines you've already done the damage.

It's unfortunate, but a lot of people don't know how to maintain a car these days. Cars have become overall so well-built and so low maintenance that no one teaches their kids about maintenance, and most people think "low maintenance" means "no maintenance". Every car manual tells the owner that they should do a complete survey of the vehicle every time they're going to use it - walk around, look at tires, lights, etc, check fluids - but virtually no one does it. The closest thing a person can do if they don't want to do anything is have it on a dealer maintenance schedule and follow it to the letter, which is not foolproof - lots can happen between visits - but it's better than nothing, which is what a lot of people do.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Once you get the light it's too late - the light should be called the "Lamp of Death" because once that light is flickering on these engines you've already done the damage.

It's unfortunate, but a lot of people don't know how to maintain a car these days. Cars have become overall so well-built and so low maintenance that no one teaches their kids about maintenance, and most people think "low maintenance" means "no maintenance". Every car manual tells the owner that they should do a complete survey of the vehicle every time they're going to use it - walk The closest thing a person can do if they don't want to do anything is have it on a dealer maintenance schedule and follow it to the letter, which is not foolproof - lots can happen between visits - but it's better than nothing, which is what a lot of people do.
:rolleyes: Yep! Weather permitting!:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4 Posts
DON'T. YELL. AT. ME.
Thanks
Just keep driving it and just wait until you have problems.what’s done is done just drive and take care of it and you will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 79 Posts