Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Haha! Good point. Luckily by the time GDI becomes an issue for you (Mr Low Mileage), your Soul will be pushing 50 years old. Mine 30. I think we'll be fine :)
(y)Yes Sir! That's why I keep our '03 Focus (SPI) for our daily driver around town. :whistle: Not sure the air-bags work by now! However, with 65K, it's still rolling nicely! ;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Every time my odometer's last three digits reads 000 or 500, I check the oil. In case anyone here is terrible at basic math, that's called lifting the hood and checking the oil (engine cold) every 500 miles. Takes less than two minutes start-to-finish.

I have no sympathy for negligent vehicle owners..... sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Every time my odometer's last three digits reads 000 or 500, I check the oil. In case anyone here is terrible at basic math, that's called lifting the hood and checking the oil (engine cold) every 500 miles. Takes less than two minutes start-to-finish.

I have no sympathy for negligent vehicle owners..... sorry.
Please don’t freak out if you only did this one time it did probably cause some extra ware to the motor but,if it doesn’t blow out blue smoke Or have any misfire issues I say drive it and just keep the oil topped off and do regular oil changes I had an old caravan and I ran it low on oil all the time and never had a problem. It’s okay don’t worry I would probably put some high mileage oil in it and maybe a additive but just check the oil and you will be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
263 Posts
What exactly do you mean by skipping an oil change? How many miles between oil changes?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,132 Posts
It doesn’t matter how long between oil changes it’s how long it ran low of oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kinda matters how long between oil changes too.
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Circle Auto part

Too long...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
In the early 80's I used to have an old pos Subaru, it used so much oil I saw no reason to change it, just keep adding.
Bought it from a friend for $75, sold it when the clutch would no longer disengage for about half that.
I was able to turn the key and start the car in gear, at least in the snow. Wheels spin a bit. Then speed shift, no clutch.
Only did that a couple times. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
In the early 80's I used to have an old pos Subaru, it used so much oil I saw no reason to change it, just keep adding.
Bought it from a friend for $75, sold it when the clutch would no longer disengage for about half that.
I was able to turn the key and start the car in gear, at least in the snow. Wheels spin a bit. Then speed shift, no clutch.
Only did that a couple times. :ROFLMAO:
When I was in the Navy in the 80s I had a 79 Olds Delta 88 that had both a massive oil leak at the pan and rear main seal, and no rings left. I got the car for free from a guy on my ship that wrecked my truck while it was getting fixed. When I drove down the street it looked like the car was on fire, like some kind of James Bond smoke screen, and between that and the oil leak it would use a quart or two every time you drove it, and overnight it would lose a quart (I used to keep a cardboard box under it in the apartment parking lot). I would carry a case of oil in the trunk of the car at first and then I started getting used motor oil from the local gas stations in antifreeze and wiper fluid bottles and I would just use that. It had a massive 400+ cubic inch engine and aside from the smoke screen it could really haul ass.

Aside from the massive oil leak it had a massive short in it somewhere such that if you went anywhere and left the battery hooked up for more than 20-30 minutes it wouldn't start. I got to be a pro that every time I came out to the car from overnight, being at work or at a club, I'd pop the hood, hook the battery back up, add a couple quarts of oil and cruise on down the road. When I was getting transferred to a new duty station, by then my truck was fixed, so I took the car out to long term cruise parking, pulled the battery cable, left the title in the glove box and keys in the ignition, and doors unlocked, and left. A few months later on my last cruise my ship pulled into port (Norfolk) and I walked out to long term parking, and there was the car still sitting there. I hooked up the battery and added about 3-4 quarts of used motor oil and it started on the first shot :ROFLMAO: . So I was the only one on my ship with a car to drive for the weekend. When the weekend was over I gave it to a friend of mine in a bar, wrote a bill of sale on a bar napkin. He drove it all the way to Alabama, parked it at his parent's house and it never started again.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,132 Posts
When I was in the Navy in the 80s I had a 79 Olds Delta 88 that had both a massive oil leak at the pan and rear main seal, and no rings left. I got the car for free from a guy on my ship that wrecked my truck while it was getting fixed. When I drove down the street it looked like the car was on fire, like some kind of James Bond smoke screen, and between that and the oil leak it would use a quart or two every time you drove it, and overnight it would lose a quart (I used to keep a cardboard box under it in the apartment parking lot). I would carry a case of oil in the trunk of the car at first and then I started getting used motor oil from the local gas stations in antifreeze and wiper fluid bottles and I would just use that. It had a massive 400+ cubic inch engine and aside from the smoke screen it could really haul ass.

Aside from the massive oil leak it had a massive short in it somewhere such that if you went anywhere and left the battery hooked up for more than 20-30 minutes it wouldn't start. I got to be a pro that every time I came out to the car from overnight, being at work or at a club, I'd pop the hood, hook the battery back up, add a couple quarts of oil and cruise on down the road. When I was getting transferred to a new duty station, by then my truck was fixed, so I took the car out to long term cruise parking, pulled the battery cable, left the title in the glove box and keys in the ignition, and doors unlocked, and left. A few months later on my last cruise my ship pulled into port (Norfolk) and I walked out to long term parking, and there was the car still sitting there. I hooked up the battery and added about 3-4 quarts of used motor oil and it started on the first shot :ROFLMAO: . So I was the only one on my ship with a car to drive for the weekend. When the weekend was over I gave it to a friend of mine in a bar, wrote a bill of sale on a bar napkin. He drove it all the way to Alabama, parked it at his parent's house and it never started again.
As a kid we always were taught to keep a case of oil, jug of water and a piece of firewood (to put under the tire to keep it from rolling) in the back of the car. We joked it was a red neck parking brake. We had some real beater mobiles.

• Haha
Reactions: jdmartin

·
Registered
838 Posts
It's amazing when you think about it. Cars are so reliable and so rarely break down these days that most people have nothing more than a cell phone as preparation.
In many climes, folks should carry extra clothing in case they get stuck for any length of time. But since it is a low probability albeit nasty consequence event, few bother.

I carry a towing strap, come-along, a bow saw, axe, rope, electric tire inflator, a Leatherman tool, 3 multi-head screw drivers, heavy wire, air throttle body & valve cleaner, WD-40, tie straps, first-aid kit, lighters in the offroad 4X4. Never felt the urge to stock the Soul like that as it rarely if ever leaves the pavement. Though we do carry a first aid kit.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
In many climes, folks should carry extra clothing in case they get stuck for any length of time. But since it is a low probability albeit nasty consequence event, few bother.

I carry a towing strap, come-along, a bow saw, axe, rope, electric tire inflator, a Leatherman tool, 3 multi-head screw drivers, heavy wire, air throttle body & valve cleaner, WD-40, tie straps, first-aid kit, lighters in the offroad 4X4. Never felt the urge to stock the Soul like that as it rarely if ever leaves the pavement. Though we do carry a first aid kit.
My truck is like that - it's a rolling toolbox and rescue unit all in one :LOL: but most everything on there are tools that are used on construction sites anyway, other than the tow straps and jumper cables. And actually I've used the jumper cables to power a 12v portable sump pump to drain a flooded basement, so those might not count.

·
Registered
838 Posts
@jdmartin: I have jumper cables in the 4X4 but not in the Soul. Perhaps should fix that.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Got a new Walmart 124 battery a few months ago. Did not really trust it:unsure:. As it was the last one on the shelf (mfg.6 months prior). Took a long trip, and carried my starter battery, which has cables. :sneaky:

·
Registered
36 Posts
DON'T. YELL. AT. ME.
I skipped an oil change. I've had crazy stuff going on, and honestly no one in my family has ever done regular oil changes on their vehicles and we've all lucked out, I guess.
Anyway, my 2017 Soul + was making weird noises so I took it in. They found less than a quart of oil, and there was metal glitter in it. They filled it back up. It's running smoothly now, but the mechanic said some very gloomy things about probably having to replace the engine.
I'm FREAKING OUT. I am still paying this car off and really can't afford an engine replacement.
Please talk to me about your experiences.
Thanks 😭
Go to your nearest KIA dealer and say. "I would like to trade-in my KIA Soul for a new one. (That is all you are allowed to say) He will only hear, "You want to buy". While NOT making small talk, select a base model and select color. By selecting a color, they think they have you hooked. When you get their 1st price, tell them you have to think about it, AND LEAVE. This starts the dance. He calls you. You call him. His price goes down. You have to think about it and so it goes until you say yes. Do not listen to trade-in price, rebates, discounts. You are only interested in how much money is required in addition to your old car. When you like the number, go to your bank/credit union for your financing. Stick to YOUR plan and do not get sidetracked. You are dealing with Pros so stay on track. Do not give in. .... Good Luck.
If you do get a new Soul = Read the maintenance guide!

·
Registered
1 Posts
DON'T. YELL. AT. ME.
I skipped an oil change. I've had crazy stuff going on, and honestly no one in my family has ever done regular oil changes on their vehicles and we've all lucked out, I guess.
Anyway, my 2017 Soul + was making weird noises so I took it in. They found less than a quart of oil, and there was metal glitter in it. They filled it back up. It's running smoothly now, but the mechanic said some very gloomy things about probably having to replace the engine.
I'm FREAKING OUT. I am still paying this car off and really can't afford an engine replacement.
Please talk to me about your experiences.
Thanks 😭
Using Full Synthetic oil for next car will help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for your kind words. This is my first car that isn't a "college kid car" and honestly, I thought I was taking okay (not great, but acceptable) care of it. I didn't know that the oil would deplete like that. I just put on new tires, renewed my state registration and got it serviced too 😕. I'm not a person who knows about cars; I can recite Henry the VIII's wives, work out the etymology of a lot of words, and I'm pretty amazing at first aid. But cars are a vast unknown that I've only learned about from experience, most of it unpleasant.
I have no idea how the trade-in process would work. I'll probably go with Carmax or Carvana... How do I disclose the issue ethically (I don't want to lie and say the car is fine) but still be clear that the issues are... Potential, but not actual? Wanting to be honest but also fair to myself.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts