Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DON'T. YELL. AT. ME.
I skipped an oil change. I've had crazy stuff going on, and honestly no one in my family has ever done regular oil changes on their vehicles and we've all lucked out, I guess.
Anyway, my 2017 Soul + was making weird noises so I took it in. They found less than a quart of oil, and there was metal glitter in it. They filled it back up. It's running smoothly now, but the mechanic said some very gloomy things about probably having to replace the engine.
I'm FREAKING OUT. I am still paying this car off and really can't afford an engine replacement.
Please talk to me about your experiences.
Thanks 馃槶

Registered
I don鈥檛 know what to tell you. You have to keep a better eye on the oil level since it seems the engine is consuming oil (you can search the forum on tips to help with that) and you have to make sure you change it when it鈥檚 due, preferably every 5,000 miles. GDi engines from any manufacturer are most happy when they have clean oil at the proper level.

You most likely have serious engine damage. Metal glitter is not good and maybe you escaped engine failure for the time being, but I don鈥檛 know if it will be reliable long term now. How many miles did you end up going since your last oil change?

How many miles are on the car and did you buy it new? If the engine blows up and it鈥檚 still under warranty, Kia might still replace it, but they鈥檒l be able to tell if you didn鈥檛 maintain the engine with regular oil changes and could deny your claim. Whatever you do, don鈥檛 tell Kia you let the engine get close to running out of oil.

Registered
Trade it in or sell it. You've chewed up the bearings by running it low on oil and it is just a matter of time before you start hearing rod knock. Skipping the oil change wasn't what did it - not checking the oil on a regular basis is what did. These GDI engines consume some oil and eventually, if you don't check it and refill when needed, you do what you did.

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
Not yelling at you, and I actually compliment you on being up front honest about what happened. It's refreshing not to wade through a bunch of BS to get to what went down, and with no attitude either. Thank you for that.

Like Rhys & JD said, your engine is now damaged and will eventually fail. I'd guess it had 2 to 3 cups of dirty oil circulating through the engine. Be proactive, mourn the loss & remember used cars fetch a crazy high premium right now. Of course buying another car will too. The sooner you get rid of it the better.

All the best!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like Rhys & JD said, your engine is now damaged and will eventually fail. I'd guess it had 2 to 3 cups of dirty oil circulating through the engine. Be proactive, mourn the loss & remember used cars fetch a crazy high premium right now. Of course buying another car will too. The sooner you get rid of it the better.

All the best!
Thank you for your kind words. This is my first car that isn't a "college kid car" and honestly, I thought I was taking okay (not great, but acceptable) care of it. I didn't know that the oil would deplete like that. I just put on new tires, renewed my state registration and got it serviced too 馃槙. I'm not a person who knows about cars; I can recite Henry the VIII's wives, work out the etymology of a lot of words, and I'm pretty amazing at first aid. But cars are a vast unknown that I've only learned about from experience, most of it unpleasant.
I have no idea how the trade-in process would work. I'll probably go with Carmax or Carvana... How do I disclose the issue ethically (I don't want to lie and say the car is fine) but still be clear that the issues are... Potential, but not actual? Wanting to be honest but also fair to myself.

Registered
With the prices of new and used cars through the roof right now. If the rest of the car is in good shape, it might be cheaper to have the dealer put a remanufactured engine in it than replacing the car. But that鈥檚 up to you. And since it seems to be running ok for now, you have some time to figure that out.

There鈥檚 a Kia tech on here that鈥檚 mentioned the price of a remanufactured engine at the dealer but I don鈥檛 remember how much, it鈥檚 not outrageously expensive, it鈥檚 not cheap either. And it would come with a warranty and likely be a better bet overall than getting an unknown junk yard engine.

Registered
Thank you for your kind words. This is my first car that isn't a "college kid car" and honestly, I thought I was taking okay (not great, but acceptable) care of it. I didn't know that the oil would deplete like that. I just put on new tires, renewed my state registration and got it serviced too 馃槙. I'm not a person who knows about cars; I can recite Henry the VIII's wives, work out the etymology of a lot of words, and I'm pretty amazing at first aid. But cars are a vast unknown that I've only learned about from experience, most of it unpleasant.
I have no idea how the trade-in process would work. I'll probably go with Carmax or Carvana... How do I disclose the issue ethically (I don't want to lie and say the car is fine) but still be clear that the issues are... Potential, but not actual? Wanting to be honest but also fair to myself.
Say nothing and trade it in. If it is running great right now, anything you tell Carmax or Carvana is going to be speculation. Just like our advice is speculation. It's possible that all the mechanic saw was just normal wear and tear. Not likely, and those of us that have been here forever and gone through a thousand low oil engine threads know better, but it's still possible. None of us are looking at your engine. The mechanic has no way of knowing for sure that the bearings are shredded without tearing down the engine.

If you don't want to go that route, then you should just keep it, wait for the engine to fail and replace it.

Registered
2021 Soul GT-Line
DON'T. YELL. AT. ME.
I skipped an oil change. I've had crazy stuff going on, and honestly no one in my family has ever done regular oil changes on their vehicles and we've all lucked out, I guess.
Anyway, my 2017 Soul + was making weird noises so I took it in. They found less than a quart of oil, and there was metal glitter in it. They filled it back up. It's running smoothly now, but the mechanic said some very gloomy things about probably having to replace the engine.
I'm FREAKING OUT. I am still paying this car off and really can't afford an engine replacement.
Please talk to me about your experiences.
Thanks 馃槶
Well...sometimes we say less than a quart in the motor so we can add a few more qts on the bill....we know you have been neglecting checking it......you know there is glitter in all used oil...IDK...drive it easy and you might squeeze some time out of it....

Registered
Disclosure is a tricky word in the car business. Most dealers don't really care or want to know (knowing can make it their problem). I tried to tell my dealer the things wrong with my last car at trade in (bad clutch, shot AC, electronics etc) and they didn't even listen. The car "looked" great and that's how they listed it "well maintained, 1 owner and the mileage." As long as it runs now and someone can drive it, they'll sell your car. That's one of many reasons it's a slimy business.

In the meantime while you're deciding, you could look into using an oil additive (eg: Prolong etc) super lubricant that may slow further damage. I'm sorry you are going through this. You must feel like Anne Boleyn hoping for a reprieve, but we all know how that turned out.

Cut your losses (pun intended) and move on.

Registered
I you intend to get rid of it and "say nothing" about this issue,
trade it in, don't sell to a private party. For a dealer it's business.
For a private party, if it dies soon after, they will feel they got screwed. Understandably.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I you intend to get rid of it and "say nothing" about this issue,
trade it in, don't sell to a private party. For a dealer it's business.
For a private party, if it dies soon after, they will feel they got screwed. Understandably.
Yeah, absolutely. I plan to sell it to a used car dealership and have already disclosed "unknown engine problems." All they've asked, really, is if the check engine light is on. Which is kind of terrifying, because I'm thinking they might just pass it on to an unsuspecting buyer 馃槙

Registered
Yeah, absolutely. I plan to sell it to a used car dealership and have already disclosed "unknown engine problems." All they've asked, really, is if the check engine light is on. Which is kind of terrifying, because I'm thinking they might just pass it on to an unsuspecting buyer 馃槙
They will probably auction it.
If they sell to a new buyer and it dies, it is on them not you.
At least that is how I see it.
And I received a call once or twice from an unhappy buyer years ago.
Not going there again myself.

Registered
2014 + Alien Green II
I'm thinking they might just pass it on to an unsuspecting buyer.

Which is exactly what they'll do. With my issues, I am morally torn imagining a single mom paying too much and having an expensive repair a few weeks later. Yes I know that is the risk buying a used car but I can probably better afford a new engine if it comes to it. If I was just screwing a dealer I'd have little trouble - I'm just following their business model but I want to be comfortable with my decisions. You have to make your own decision.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking they might just pass it on to an unsuspecting buyer.

Which is exactly what they'll do. With my issues, I am morally torn imagining a single mom paying too much and having an expensive repair a few weeks later. Yes I know that is the risk buying a used car but I can probably better afford a new engine if it comes to it. If I was just screwing a dealer I'd have little trouble - I'm just following their business model but I want to be comfortable with my decisions. You have to make your own decision.
I don't disagree. I work for a nonprofit and I 100% know the disastrous consequences of having a car fail. That being said, I think I'll go with CarMax. I've read that their cars undergo pretty thorough inspections... If my engine is really damaged, I think they'll catch it and send it to auction. I've also let them know that there may be engine trouble. Even if nondisclosure is the standard practice... I don't think it's going to work for me.

Registered
I don't disagree. I work for a nonprofit and I 100% know the disastrous consequences of having a car fail. That being said, I think I'll go with CarMax. I've read that their cars undergo pretty thorough inspections... If my engine is really damaged, I think they'll catch it and send it to auction. I've also let them know that there may be engine trouble. Even if nondisclosure is the standard practice... I don't think it's going to work for me.
I'm not telling you to be dishonest, but you are fooling yourself if you think Carmax cares one way or the other what you and the mechanic and us here on the forum think. All that will happen is they will give you less money for the car and still sell it just as always, because it is a numbers game for them. They're not going to rebuild your engine or sell it to single soccer mom for less money. If you feel that conflicted about it, you should keep it and drive it until it dies then replace the engine and sell it.

I know you think you feel better because you are "disclosing" to CarMax, but what you are really doing is trying to make the problem you created become someone else's problem. I don't think you are wrong to sell it before it grenades - that was my advice in the first place - but don't tell yourself stories to feel better about it. Bottom line is that you ran it low on oil, the bearings are likely chewed up, and you are trying to bail before you need an engine so that someone else can put an engine in it.

Registered
If we are talking about selling it purely from the most ethical/moral standpoint than I believe selling it via Craigslist, etc would be the most ethical way. That way you can sell it to the next owner directly so they are aware of the issue/potential issue.

Registered
Cars are unfortunately a mass produced product & priced by a formula that doesn't care much about future or unseen issues. Trust me, there are used cars out there with way bigger problems. It's all about sales, sales, sales & turnover.

That's why a buyer of a used vehicle should have it inspected by a trusted mechanic. Buyer beware. That exercise pretty much drops out most people I know.

There's a good chance this car will change hands a couple of times, or be wrecked, before a catastrophic engine failure occurs.

And in this current, crazy market, someone would love to lowball you because of your guilty conscience, and then flip the car for thousands more, never revealing what you did. Fair?

It sucks, but the used car business is dog eat dog, with alot of doo doo.

That's why I buy new.

I do admire & respect that you have brought up this discussion.

Registered
:unsure: A gamble nonetheless (GDI)! (y):cautious:(n)
Haha! Good point. Luckily by the time GDI becomes an issue for you (Mr Low Mileage), your Soul will be pushing 50 years old. Mine 30. I think we'll be fine :)

• Wow
Reactions: rhysoul

Registered
The other option is:

- change the oil and filter, add high quality full synthetic oil, switch out the PVC valve.

- check how the vehicle is operating with an OBDII scanner.

- pay for a full mechanical inspection done with special attention paid to the engine block.

-----------------------------------------------------

If, the engine is salvageable, then some mid-life maintenance might be in order. Some of the Kia dealerships offer BG treatments for the intake valves that should also help reduce accumulated carbon gum in the engine, for example.

This option includes the possibility of switching out the engine should it be deemed beyond maintenance and easy repair.

This option will take more time, effort and some upfront expenditures but could ultimately save you a tonne of money.

As always, 'tastes are beyond dispute' and we all have different preferences. If impressing neighbours, friends and family is a priority and if making regular car payments are seen as a plus, sell your Soul and buy a new Soul or a used 2nd generation Soul in good shape.

Reactions: rhysoul
1 - 20 of 79 Posts