Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's just my car but I find it way too easy to knock the stick into manual mode. Not only that but my dog can easily push into manual mode as well which is an issue obviously. I never had this issue with my Mazda as it took more force which protected it from accidental activation. I did a search and didn't find anything relevant so but I'm hoping there is some kind of solution. Worse case scenario is I'll have to put something in there to prevent it from moving to the left but that would be a last resort. Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
that's the way its designed but still takes a bit of push, never had a problem with it. Keep the dog out of the front seat in the back where it should be. If you accidentally move it over it doesn't cause a problem just move it back, but puzzled as to how that would happen under normal use.

I can't recall this situation being mentioned before.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I don't know if it's just my car but I find it way too easy to knock the stick into manual mode. Not only that but my dog can easily push into manual mode as well which is an issue obviously. I never had this issue with my Mazda as it took more force which protected it from accidental activation. I did a search and didn't find anything relevant so but I'm hoping there is some kind of solution. Worse case scenario is I'll have to put something in there to prevent it from moving to the left but that would be a last resort. Any ideas?

Thanks.
There has to be some sort of switch in the console that is triggered when it is moved over there. How about something low tech like a big rubber band around the stick over to someplace like the passenger seat buckle?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I've pulled the lever to the manual position by accident when going from Reverse to Drive. I usually catch myself and put the selector lever back into Drive. No problem.
But, I have considered adding a hinged flap of some plastic material that could be in position to prevent the lever from being accidentally moved into the Manual position, but which could also be flipped open to allow the use of manual mode, which is great for slowing down, like when coming off of the interstate highway.
A little engine braking saves those brake pads, that are not covered by warranty.

The dog should not be in the front seat anyway. It's a BIG safety hazard, both for you and the dog.

Cheers mate!
:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
My wife has knocked it over with her purse a few times and I've accidentally moved it to the left. The transmission won't do anything really until you slow down or speed up............depending on what gear it was in in 'D'. If you try to learn to pull the stick back with your hand slightly rotated to the left side of the knob rather than on the right side, you shouldn't have any issues with it..

Driving around in Toronto, there's not too many places you'll need to use it for engine braking. Depends where you live. I use it only when descending Pottery Road towards the Bayview Extension. I change up to second as I enter the top of the road and don't need to brake until the sharp bend by Todmorden Mills. Every other car seems to be on the brakes the whole way down the hill. There are only a few other roads in Toronto that are steep enough to need it.

The only other times I use it is if I decide to get "in the zone" and really drive the car hard. Then it can be real fun :racing2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts