Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a call two hours ago from my wife who is 150 miles away near Greenville, SC and her 2011 Forte has blown it's engine. Had it towed from the side of the interstate to a mechanic and they looked at it and said "seized and blown". Don't know why yet but we are the second owners and the car has 71K miles, so no warranty coverage at all.

So..what are my best options? Should I have it towed back to home and consider installing a used motor if I can find one? Or, try to work a quick deal for something else and see if they will take the car as a trade? Or is there another reasonable option I'm missing. We save and pay cash for our cars and have only had this one for 2.5 years...so financially things are going to be tight. It might be a good opportunity to find a used Soul but frankly, this has left me a bit gun shy of Kia right now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your problem.

IMO,the car needs to be towed back to your location.
Yes,it will cost you the towing charges.
I sure would not take the word of someone over the telephone
that gives you that report. When you get the car back,you can get an accurate
diagnosis of the real situation.
As far as selling it as is. Good luck...
This not a classic or highly sought after car.You'd be better to fix it up(if possible) or maybe
find an independent guy to install a used engine.
If the engine is indeed "seized" that usually means it was run after it was overheated.

Again,I sure would not trust the word of a unknown mechanic

Get it back,then decide.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Was this a "Timing Belt Era" engine before they switched to timing chains? If so, some belts are scheduled for 60K replacement. That may have snapped/slipped and started a chain reaction (no pun intended), and at the very least you trashed your cylinder head. Chances are it's an interference engine meaning the open valves met up with the pistons. That would trash the entire engine.

Check some place like rock auto online and see about rebuilt engines. Let's theoretically say your car is worth $5K running. Now it's worth maybe $2K. (again - these numbers just for reference) So, if you spend $3K on a rebuilt engine, you spent your $3K "hit" financially on a car that you can hopefully get several more years of service out of. Sell it for $2K and your money is gone.

If your car is otherwise in OK shape and worth keeping, I'd spend the $3K and get 'er running again rather than spending on another unknown vehicle. Also, I would probably go with a rebuilt engine with warranty rather than used - you might be buying someone else's blown engine. Something to think about.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope you get things worked out without much hassle.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys, most appreciated. After a five hour trial involving good samaritans stopping on the interstate, a tow truck, a private mechanic, another tow to a Kia dealer and a rental car, she finally arrived home safe and sound.

I'm not sure if this is an interference engine or not, but will check. Looks like the dealer won't be able to look at it until Monday or Tuesday but I have to go out of town on business Wednesday morning for the remainder of the week. So, fixable or not I guess I'll have it towed from South Carolina back to Atlanta and then figure out the next step and if putting in a new motor is worth it.

The car is in excellent condition,looks brand new and only has 63K miles. I've been driving my cars (Nissan, Toyota, Honda) between 180-200K miles since 1982 so this is a big disappointment. Particularly since I am the second owner and the engine warranty drops off at 60K miles. Been a Kia fan for a while so this is doubly disappointing. Will have to decide whether to stay loyal or back to Japanese.

Thanks, I'll let you know what the verdict is when I hear.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
In this case, I would probably put a JY engine in it since the car is not that old. Seizure really only happens from loss of oil - starved from oil being too low, blown oil pump, clogged oil ports, or engine getting so hot it deforms. Interference might wreck the valves and pistons if the belt broke but that's different from seizure.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,612 Posts
By "towed" I presume you mean "shipped." For a few hundred miles it'll probably be a few hundred bucks. I would not pay tow truck fees for this.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thanks guys, most appreciated. After a five hour trial involving good samaritans stopping on the interstate, a tow truck, a private mechanic, another tow to a Kia dealer and a rental car, she finally arrived home safe and sound.

I'm not sure if this is an interference engine or not, but will check. Looks like the dealer won't be able to look at it until Monday or Tuesday but I have to go out of town on business Wednesday morning for the remainder of the week. So, fixable or not I guess I'll have it towed from South Carolina back to Atlanta and then figure out the next step and if putting in a new motor is worth it.

The car is in excellent condition,looks brand new and only has 63K miles. I've been driving my cars (Nissan, Toyota, Honda) between 180-200K miles since 1982 so this is a big disappointment. Particularly since I am the second owner and the engine warranty drops off at 60K miles. Been a Kia fan for a while so this is doubly disappointing. Will have to decide whether to stay loyal or back to Japanese.

Thanks, I'll let you know what the verdict is when I hear.
Best of luck with your car.

Your problem brought up a topic that I have mentioned several times on this board.

Just how durable is a Kia? Actually,the Korean vehicles in general.
I share a similar history with you on Japanese cars. In fact, I go
way back to late 60's early 70's Toyotas. Most recently,I have been a Nissan
fan(owned 4).Have had Hondas. All were pretty much bullet-proof. Never had
a serious problem other than one Mazda(626)I owned that did have a blown
head gasket. All ran excellent into the high 100k miles.
So,I wonder if a Kia will go that distance with just regular oil/filter maintenance.
Most members on this forum(there are exceptions)have owned their vehicles a short time.
50-60k miles to me with today's cars is a short time.
Since I have several vehicles,I do not put a lot of miles on any specific vehicle. For example,
I've got a 2003 350Z with 96k miles that I bought new in 2002. It runs like new.

Please let us know the outcome on your Forte.

·
Registered
598 Posts
FWIW - I work at a Kia dealership group taking vehicle photos for their websites. We often get Kia trade-ins with 150K-200K miles (one had 243K) that are still running well. We wholesale them since our limit is 100K on the used lot regardless of brand, but I would not be afraid to buy some of them for just a cheap work car. Bottom line - I believe Kias can go the distance with proper care and barring unforeseen anomalies. Of course, like any brand (Toyota and Honda included), there will always be a few problems.

I still wager that this problem was timing belt related. With a rebuilt engine, it should have a new timing belt installed. If you buy a used engine, I bet you will not sleep at night until you put a new belt in it ($ka-ching$).

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
all is not perfect on the Japanese front ......there currently is a stop sale and recall on the brand new 2016 Honda Civic with the 2.0L engine

On certain vehicles equipped with 2.0L engines, a piston pin circlip may not have been installed or may have been improperly installed into the piston during assembly. If the circlip is not properly installed, over the course of engine operation, the piston pin will rub against the cylinder wall causing noise and damage, or in the worst case, the piston pin may detach from one side of the piston and cause an engine failure. Engine damage will eventually result in the engine stalling. Engine stalling would result in a loss of motive power; an engine failure would result in a sudden loss of motive power and may result in an under hood fire. These potential outcomes in conjunction with traffic and road conditions, and the driver's reactions, could increase the risk of a crash causing injury and/or property damage. Correction: Dealers will inspect, and repair as necessary

This effects nearly 11,000 vehicles in Canada and about 34,000 in the US but the US seems to be keeping very quiet about this as its still not been made official as you still don't find it on the US government recall website. It's been on the Transport Canada website since February 1st. All indications is that a fix won't be available till mid-March. It does not effect the new 1.5L turbo engine (EX-L & Touring models).

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Standard (cheapest) AAA provides FREE towing for a fairly short distance, however, AAA+ will transport your vehicle for 100 miles.
Or, at least, it used to.

Beyond 100 miles, they will still transport your vehicle, but they will also charge you $.xx per mile. (check with AAA for actual rates)

Over the past 30 years, since I've been in Florida, I've had to buy several used cars. That was by necessity, not by choice.

But in every case, the first thing I did was to give the car a bumper to bumper maintenance inspection, including an Oil and Filter change,
and check all filters.

In almost every case, a blown engine is the result of poor or NO maintenance. Bombs are designed to blow up, car engines are NOT!
Something adverse has to happen to make a car engine blow up.

Yes, there are people who will just drive a vehicle till it stops running, without ever a thought about maintaining a good maintenance schedule. And, sadly they are not all women. Always assuming that a used car has NOT had good maintenance, I will give a used car an extra level of maintenance.

Good Luck!
:cool:

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again guys for your input. In this case, I do all the oil changes at about 5K miles and the filter every time of course. I'm supposed to hear something from the dealer on Monday once they have a chance to look at it. However, I'm not sure how they could actually determine a cause if it is something worse than a timing belt unless they really pull the engine apart....and I can't see paying for that.

I've never ever "seized" an engine and I've been driving since the 60s...it's weird. My wife tells me the check engine light never came on but the oil light kept coming on and going off and she drove it that way for about 25 miles. Then she heard a whirring sound whenever she accelerated and then a loud noise and it shut down. Oil was completely full, no leaks Hmm, sounds like possibly an oil pump?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thanks again guys for your input. In this case, I do all the oil changes at about 5K miles and the filter every time of course. I'm supposed to hear something from the dealer on Monday once they have a chance to look at it. However, I'm not sure how they could actually determine a cause if it is something worse than a timing belt unless they really pull the engine apart....and I can't see paying for that.

I've never ever "seized" an engine and I've been driving since the 60s...it's weird. My wife tells me the check engine light never came on but the oil light kept coming on and going off and she drove it that way for about 25 miles. Then she heard a whirring sound whenever she accelerated and then a loud noise and it shut down. Oil was completely full, no leaks Hmm, sounds like possibly an oil pump?
Could be an oil pump. That seems the most likely cause.

What kind of oil do you use? Some brands slap warranties on your engine, although at least one manufacturer (Pennzoil) requires you to register for it.

Then again, the fact that your wife kept driving the car once the oil light came on would probably void any warranty, anyway. :(

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Geek Said: "Then again, the fact that your wife kept driving the car once the oil light came on would probably void any warranty, anyway."

Deny...Deny...Deny!
Yo no se'...

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
With no warranty of any kind, going on a deep fact finding mission may prove costly.
With a complete teardown and diagnostic time, a suitable replacement motor or another car may be in order and ultimately prove cheaper in the long run.
I have, for whatever it's worth, seen motors heat seize then free up only to lead productive lives once again.
A long shot or shot in the dark is better than no shot taken I suppose.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Only do that when you're still under warranty! If under warranty, keep driving 'til it's toasted! Out of warranty, pull over asap.
That might be a bad idea warranty-wise. I wouldn't be surprised if the ECM records when the oil pressure light comes on. In fact, I'd be surprised if it didn't.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts