Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I care about doing is adding engine upgrades to increase the torque in my Soul. Any of you gearheads tell me what might help that isn't crazy expensive?

·
Registered
108 Posts
hmm well im gonna assume u have a 2.0. i guess if we are going budget and a motor this small the list is a little short. so far for inexpensive i have
1. gapped the plugs. on mine the gaps were inconsistent and on one nearly closed. i gapped mine ..044 my mileage also went up a bit.
2. my car seems to like the 89 octane(verified vie the ever scientific single blind butt dyno) in other words i had my brother drive. i didnt tell him i did anything he just said car feels a bit more peppy.
3. make yourself an intake. if on the total cheap some simple pvc pipe and reflectix insulation topped off with an oiled cotton conical filter. or buy some shiny aluminum pipe from spectre performance.
other than that i personally dont know of too many free, cheap, easy upgrades as of yet.
oh yeah 4ish high quality synthetic oil of the correct grade.(maybe try the new 0-20) haven't done this just an idea so far.
hope this helps cause so far the next step seems to be a gt25 intercooler+megasquirt with add on injectors.

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's tough to add any type of extra strength torque unless you plan to pay big bucks. Patman hit most of the things you can do on the cheap but I doubt it will make the results you are hoping for. I am keeping my eyes peeled for a turbo set up. My wife says the car needs it ;).

·
Registered
41 Posts
wow your wife says that it needs a turbo? everytime i even hint turbo i get yelled at... but o well... if you are super cheap youcan go on craigslist and buy a turbo and then do the set up yourself... thats what my friend did.. and it works great,.. just make sure it works before you buy

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wonder how much modification it would need though? There is a custom turbocharger company real close to me. They made nice turbo's for my STi and also for some EVO's so I might see what they can do for me. I don't want to push the engine a ton so we will see!!:)
Its for the 2.0 Spectra (Which appearantly has the same engine). So I wouldnt think much, if any!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here are a few things along with why they would help a naturally aspirated engine perform better and remain reliable.

-lightweight under drive pulleys (sacrifice eletrical accessory's performace for better engine performance.)
-lightweight flywheel (less rotational mass at the crank)
-custome intake (Tune the intake charge to match the scavanging effect of the exhaust.ie.: K&N, AEM, Injen)
-custome headers (Tune and assist the scavenging effect at the exhaust ports)
-high flow catalytic converter (Keep the exhaust velocity high and hot)
-custome cat. back exhaust (Keep the ehaust flow smooth and the velocity high)

The one of easiest ways to get more torque is to lower the diameter of your wheels and tires. A lot of Solo II racers do this. If you are using the stock 225/45/18 you could switch to 235/45/17 for about a -2.5% change in size and if you dare you may go to 225/45/17 at a -3.8% change. The lighter wheels along with the smaller ratio between the transmission gear size and the tire circumfrence size will always increase your torque.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Dodoman!

With interest, I read all the replys to dodoman's post. taking into major consideration is, Kia's warranty. Unless dodoman doesn't care about that.
But if he does...
I see that no one has make mention of ECU tuning. Does anyone know any programmers?
The good thing about this method is that it's totally reversible. I don't know about Saffron's Soul but, my 08 xB has a black box which records the last 30 seconds of "events" that occur before the engine shuts off. So if the Soul has one and you're doing 130 mph and you crash(God forbid), the insurance co. as well as Kia, will know.
If I were to do anything, I would find a tuner and have the ECU reprogrammed.

At an extreme level, go to youtube and, type in: Dynoflash. this guy here has it going on in a BIG way. He reprograms STI's and EVO's for amazing "stock" results.

Soul Reaver know's what I'm talking about ;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
nitrous is still the biggest bang for your buck as long as you research and know what your doin and use your head a good kit will cost 300-500$ depending on if its wet or not and a refill for a 10lb bottle is 40$ if your paying more your getting ripped off

don't let any idiot tell you it will blow your motor up they are just fast and the furious junkies who still call the sh!t NAWS

edit: a 10 pund bottle will last approx 12-15 1/4 mile pulls

1 - 11 of 11 Posts