Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone point me in the direction of a girl proof, easy to follow, step by step instruction of installing a front LED strip over the headlight housing, while tapping into my parking lights for a 2013? Something that won't take a degree would be great, and something that uses a soldering iron is probably out of my area of expertise. I would really like to be able to do this on my own, instead of adding it to the dreaded 'TO DO' list. I have found lots of threads but not sure if they are clear enough for me, or it just might be my hamster brain....too small?

I was able to install our exterior wall dog door when my husband chickened out...so I should be able to do this. It just might take me a week of staring at it until I get the nerve to do it. Or should I just give up now and move on?

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Cheesy huh? Under the housing......less cheesy?
I'm sure you would be happy with either but not an installation for the beginner but, you installed a dog door so anything may be possible. My advice would be to apply decals, graphics etc. to every possible flat surface to make your soul unique, who knows, maybe you could even win "soul of the month".

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure you would be happy with either but not an installation for the beginner but, you installed a dog door so anything may be possible. My advice would be to apply decals, graphics etc. to every possible flat surface to make your soul unique, who knows, maybe you could even win "soul of the month".
Too funny!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I figured out how to pop the hood and unclip the headlight connector. I think I found the correct color coded wires, BUT my T connector was too big for the tiny wire. Will call it a night for now until I can get smaller connectors tomorrow. I can't wait to go back to the auto parts store tomorrow and have the 12 year old pimple faced kid behind the counter get another laugh out of this one.

When I went in yesterday and said "Do the words Scotch Lock mean anything to you..." I think he thought I was playing a joke on him. I had to back up and pull out my handy dandy little color instructions I had freshly printed off (on the company copier, mind you) from QueerDoo, while explaining that I was seriously going to try and install some cool LED lights to my new little car. I think he was quietly thinking I was old enough to be his mother and I should quit while I'm ahead. Can't wait to go back tomorrow and sheepishly ask for smaller connectors. I can hear it now as I walk out of the store.....(jeez lady.......)

Will update tomorrow after humiliation number 2. Good thing I still have some self esteem left.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
You put a doggie door in your Soul? PICS!!!!

Reactions: The Old Grouch

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Well, I figured out how to pop the hood and unclip the headlight connector. I think I found the correct color coded wires, BUT my T connector was too big for the tiny wire. Will call it a night for now until I can get smaller connectors tomorrow. I can't wait to go back to the auto parts store tomorrow and have the 12 year old pimple faced kid behind the counter get another laugh out of this one.

When I went in yesterday and said "Do the words Scotch Lock mean anything to you..." I think he thought I was playing a joke on him. I had to back up and pull out my handy dandy little color instructions I had freshly printed off (on the company copier, mind you) from QueerDoo, while explaining that I was seriously going to try and install some cool LED lights to my new little car. I think he was quietly thinking I was old enough to be his mother and I should quit while I'm ahead. Can't wait to go back tomorrow and sheepishly ask for smaller connectors. I can hear it now as I walk out of the store.....(jeez lady.......)

Will update tomorrow after humiliation number 2. Good thing I still have some self esteem left.
Show a little shoulder this time when you head into the store and plop those connectors down and ask him what kind of nerve he has selling you such big connectors!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

You are an inspiration to us all, the fact that you run with scissors tells me you live life on the edge. I, on the other hand used to run with a pea shooter in my mouth even though I was warned not to, I fell and rammed it into the roof of my mouth, I stopped doing that and ever since have always taken the no risk safe side to everything never really achieving what I may have had I been willing to take chances, so don't worry about humiliation, it will pass.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
LOL!!! How's it goin on Sam's Hill?
I was walking with scissors just the other day. As for ROS & his pea shooter, don't!

But how does your doggie like his door?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was walking with scissors just the other day. As for ROS & his pea shooter, don't!

But how does your doggie like his door?
I must say that the dog door was my crowning moment. It was the best DIY of my life. I sold the house after my husband died, and am in a new house. When I went to install another doggie door, the only location was a load bearing wall and I had to give up. Nothing a little orange peel spray couldn't fix. So you would think a little led wiring should be a no brainer.

What can I say, life is good.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Coming from someone that has done this... it is NOT cheesy to add the LED strip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Coming from someone that has done this... it is NOT cheesy to add the LED strip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
That's what I said!!!

I was a little stumped when I went to find the green/black wire and low and behold there were three.....had to think about that one for a minute......

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update (and humiliation number 2):

After 3 auto parts stores on my lunch hour, I have come to realize that no one really stocks smaller T connectors. Three stores meant three more times having to go through my song and dance about wanting to install LED lights on my new little hamster. Three more pimple faced kids just looked at me in utter shock. Left feeling very dejected.

Went back to work and one of the guys felt bad for me, so he took my strips home to solder on some slightly larger wire so it won't be quite so hard for me to try again. If it doesn't work after this, then I will really have to hang my head in shame.

More later.......

1 - 20 of 47 Posts