Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

What would you do in this situation?

• Buy without being able to drive it yourself

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Say NO, and wait until you could drive one yourself

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Get the appraisal, do the "test drive", but walk away to think it over or try to get a better deal

Votes: 3 23.1%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a somewhat awkward position with regard to buying a new Soul ---WITHOUT being able to drive it first. Here's what's happening: a couple of months ago, I visited a Kia dealership to test drive a used car for my wife. Turns out she didn't want it. While I was there, they had a Molten Soul 1.6 M/T on the showroom floor, priced less than the used car I was there to test drive. It looked awesome, but I knew nothing about Kia Souls and I was about to have surgery. So, I left, had my surgery, and began researching everything I could about the Soul. The more I read, the more I wanted one. So, I had my wife drive me back to the dealership a couple of times and I looked to see what I liked. The surgery was on my shoulder and involved cutting bone, putting screws in and reattach a tendon. My shoulder and left arm have been completely immobilized since March 21st and I won't be able to drive again until May 1st when the surgeon is supposed to take this sling thing off. But the dealership I've been visiting is running a "Buy Back Event" where they are giving well over Kelly Blue Book Values for trade ins and it ends April 30th. I talked to the dealer earlier and she asked me to have someone drive me there with the car I want to trade in tomorrow or Friday so they can check the car out, appraise it, and tell me exactly what they'll give me for it. While they're doing that, the dealer will take me out for a "test drive" where SHE drives whichever Souls I want and I sit in the front passenger seat so I can feel how it handles and see what I think. If I like it, I can buy it, but pick it up on May 1st when I get the use of my left arm back and can drive again.

I'd like to hear from Soul owners what they would do in my situation. I never would have considered buying a car without being able to drive it first. But the incentives/rebates and buy-back event all end on the 30th and I won't be able to drive until the 1st. What would you do?

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can check the forum to see if the price they give you is a good deal or not. I would recommend you not buy though until you can test drive it or get your wife to test drive it. Since it's new, there's probably not any problems with it so if you can trust someone to review it for you via test drive (not the dealer obviously). In your situation, you have a good excuse to walk away giving you a chance to let the dealer drive the price down once again before you walk out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can check the forum to see if the price they give you is a good deal or not. I would recommend you not buy though until you can test drive it or get your wife to test drive it. Since it's new, there's probably not any problems with it so if you can trust someone to review it for you via test drive (not the dealer obviously). In your situation, you have a good excuse to walk away giving you a chance to let the dealer drive the price down once again before you walk out.
I have been reading this forum every day lately, and have also checked prices at several dealerships within a 50 mile radius.

My wife doesn't want to test drive it for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Why won't they let you drive or is it that are you unable?

I'd be alright with a sales person driving while I rode along... ask her to take her hands off the wheel briefly to see how bad it veers off to the side.
I'm unable to drive. My left arm is in a "sling" that has these metal bars that keep it at a weird angle (to promote healing of the reattached tendons) and it is completely immobile.

Good idea about asking her to taker her hands off the wheel. If the wheels aren't properly aligned, it will show right away. And I wouldn't be able to tell otherwise because my hands wouldn't be on the wheel. Good idea. Thank you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Theres one prime example about a MT. What if you have a right arm problem? Then you can't drive it ever. I just like AT's all around but if you want cheap cheap, base MT is it, stripped down ( which still has alot with Souls ). I'd never get a MT with a + or base with extra's. I'd never buy a new one without driving it first. Thats alot of money if you don't like it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Theres one prime example about a MT. What if you have a right arm problem? Then you can't drive it ever. I just like AT's all around but if you want cheap cheap, base MT is it, stripped down ( which still has alot with Souls ). I'd never get a MT with a + or base with extra's. I'd never buy a new one without driving it first. Thats alot of money if you don't like it.
Good point. For a while I had been considering an M/T in the + trim, but several people, yourself included, gave me ample reasons to steer clear of a Soul with M/T. There also seems to be a world of difference between the features offered in the base m/t and the base a/t. Anyway... I'm interested in the Base a/t (like you) or Plus a/t. It will depend on two always-important factors: price... and which one I like better once I get to drive it (or, if I do this unusual "test drive" tomorrow where the dealer drives it and I sit in the front passenger seat).

·
Registered
458 Posts
If it helps any, I purchased a 2013 6 speed auto base Soul in Houston for $14,900 before taxes, title, and license. Keep in mind that if you or a family member are an active military member or a veteran you can get a discount ($500 I think, maybe $750?). Some other car makers honor this discount as well.

I too would recommend considering an automatic, especially if your surgery prevents you from operating a manual now or in the future. With the automatic, you always have the option of shifting into manu-matic mode (+/-). It's not the same thing, but it gives you more control over it than just leaving it in drive

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I can't wait! Take lots of pictures!

I have one great picture of me and my salesman, taken the day I bought my soul.
They turned it into a Calendar, which they sent me. So I actually have my picture on a calendar.
That's just SO neat! Eh?

Good Luck!
TechnoMage :cool:

Reactions: LOUBONES

·
Registered
928 Posts
The question that keeps popping up in my mind is that if this car is supposed to be for your wife, then she's the one who needs to do a test drive to see if she likes it. Shouldn't matter whether you like it or not, as long as she does.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The question that keeps popping up in my mind is that if this car is supposed to be for your wife, then she's the one who needs to do a test drive to see if she likes it. Shouldn't matter whether you like it or not, as long as she does.
^^This. If you think it's a good deal, I wouldn't pass it up. I agree, SHE needs to drive it. However, I think you will be able to get a feel for it with someone else driving. I'd also suggest sitting in the driver seat to make sure you will be comfortable. I say this because, as my cracked up Exclaim is in the shop, the rental I have is horrible for ME. I cannot adjust the seat enough. It's bizarre. The pedals are so far back that I'm on the tip of my toes for the accelerator pedal. The other driver for my rental is experiencing the same thing. Neither of us like driving it at all and have reverted to our other vehicle that's a gas hog.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The Soul isn't for my wife. It's for me. But when I first went to the dealership, it was to look at a used car for my wife. However, she didn't like that car, and she decided to stick with her current car. She loves it and our mechanic believes it's got at least another couple of years life in it. So then I started thinking about that beautiful looking Molten Kia Soul and how affordably priced it was. And then I started researching the car. I made charts and spreadsheets about everything I read. I love the look of the car. But more than that, I love the fact that it looks like it's going to be much more comfortable for me to get in and out of it than my little Nissan Sentra.

I'm 6'2" and 270 lbs with a bad back and enough years on me that things like being able to get in and out of a car easily matter now. The Soul gets better mpg than SUVs, has a shorter length than most sedans (meaning parking in tight spots will be easier), and even the base model comes standard with steering wheel mounted audio controls AND Bluetooth. And... pretty much everyone on here says It's Fun To Drive. I do A LOT of driving, and the idea of being able to have fun doing it, AND have features I'd love to have, AND be able to get in and out easily, AND get great gas mileage... well... I can't wait to get one!

My issue is I won't have the use of my left arm back until May 1st, and my dealer is trying to get me to buy it without actually being able to drive it first. Yes, I'm sold on all the great things I know about the Soul. But I still need to drive it. So...I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle this tomorrow night.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^This. If you think it's a good deal, I wouldn't pass it up. I agree, SHE needs to drive it. However, I think you will be able to get a feel for it with someone else driving. I'd also suggest sitting in the driver seat to make sure you will be comfortable. I say this because, as my cracked up Exclaim is in the shop, the rental I have is horrible for ME. I cannot adjust the seat enough. It's bizarre. The pedals are so far back that I'm on the tip of my toes for the accelerator pedal. The other driver for my rental is experiencing the same thing. Neither of us like driving it at all and have reverted to our other vehicle that's a gas hog.
SoulSister, the Soul is for me. My first trip to that dealership was looking for a car for my wife. But the SOul is for me. And I thank you for your advice. You raised a good point about sitting in the driver's seat of the car that I wind up buying. I hope things work out with you with your SOul and that someone can help you adjust your seating position so you can enjoy your car again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to post this update, so that those of you who were kind enough to share your thoughts and advice with me would know what I did. Essentially, I took a mix of the advice that most of you gave. I went for the "test drive" (where the dealer drove the cars; I tried one 1.6 an one 2.0). However, I ultimately decided to say "no" and wait until I can drive one for myself. My reasons for waiting were:

1. I need to drive it for myself; I felt that when the dealer drove the cars, she purposely held back when she drove the 1.6 and purposely opened it up a little when she drove the 2.0. I need to drive the cars for myself to get a real sense of what I will feel like driving them.

2. I wasn't able to adjust the seat to where I felt comfortable. I was still in the sling and the entire left side of my upper body was immobile, so I couldn't adjust it myself. The dealer wasn't very helpful with that. So I felt I should wait until I can use both arms and can try things like adjusting the driver's seat to where I'm comfortable.

3. The only Base model soul they had was silver, and I didn't really want another silver car. My current car is silver. My wife's car (which I drive a lot) is silver. I've been driving silver cars for years. I wanted a change. And the Soul comes in lots of awesome colors, most of which I like. I think I'd prefer White or Alien. Maybe Molten. The Molten is pretty cool too. I have to see the Dune one in person to know what I think of it. So, I figured, why rush to buy before I could drive it, and before I could go to other dealerships and try to get the best possible price. So, I'm waiting.

My surgeon took the sling off today. I start physical therapy this week. I can't really move my arm yet, but that will change in the coming days and weeks. So... I can take my time and find the right Soul for me.

Thank you again, everybody.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Lou, good decision!

I'm such a "hands on" kind of guy, I can't imagine buying a car without driving it and putting it through its paces.

So keep in touch and let us (me) know how you make out.

Cheers Mate!
:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought a new one and picked it up on Friday. It's a 2013 base model (1.6 liter engine), with automatic transmission and the color is dune. Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
I bought a new one and picked it up on Friday. It's a 2013 base model (1.6 liter engine), with automatic transmission and the color is dune. Thank you everyone.
your welcome, glad to hear you finally got fixed up - now you can give us feedback ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
your welcome, glad to hear you finally got fixed up - now you can give us feedback ;)
I'm glad too. And I will happily share feedback, photos and such along this new journey. :) So far, I'm loving it! I took it on a road trip the day after I got it and, though it's only three days old now, I've already got over 400 miles on it. I created an account on the Fuelly site, but it says it can't give me MPG until my second fuel up. I don't get why since I already figured out what my MPG was on my first tank of gas. But I'll wait and add the Fuelly thing in a few days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts