Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those considering the free navigation update provided on Kia's web page you may want to hold off a while. I recently purchased a 2020 Soul Ex and after a search discovered that Kia offers a free download for the system upgrade. After downloading the software and loading it onto my USB drive I installed into the USB port in my car and started the update. After roughly 40 minutes the upgrade failed. The radio screen suggested to reset the system and try again. After reset the upgrade started running and got as far as map update 1 of 5 and then quit. Long story short I took the car to my dealer and after 5 failed attempts and some phone time with Kia engineers it was determined that the Kia Software was at fault. Right now I am stuck with a unit that has no maps or navigation ability and the voice command function no longer works .The word is there is no way to revert back to the old format.So far they have no fix or an ETA for a solution. They will most likely release a bulletin on the problem before a fix is found.

· Registered
2014 1.6l manual
878 Posts
To those considering the free navigation update provided on Kia's web page you may want to hold off a while. I recently purchased a 2020 Soul Ex and after a search discovered that Kia offers a free download for the system upgrade. After downloading the software and loading it onto my USB drive I installed into the USB port in my car and started the update. After roughly 40 minutes the upgrade failed. The radio screen suggested to reset the system and try again. After reset the upgrade started running and got as far as map update 1 of 5 and then quit. Long story short I took the car to my dealer and after 5 failed attempts and some phone time with Kia engineers it was determined that the Kia Software was at fault. Right now I am stuck with a unit that has no maps or navigation ability and the voice command function no longer works .The word is there is no way to revert back to the old format.So far they have no fix or an ETA for a solution. They will most likely release a bulletin on the problem before a fix is found.
That sucks. Hopefully Kia will provide a fix to you soon. If nothing else maybe they'll install a new non-updated radio.

· Registered
15 Posts
I believe the 2020 offered Apple Car Play/ Android Auto wireless connection. Why would you not use that over the argumentative and less helpful in terms of traffic factory stuff?

· Registered
684 Posts
I believe the 2020 offered Apple Car Play/ Android Auto wireless connection. Why would you not use that over the argumentative and less helpful in terms of traffic factory stuff?
2020 doesn’t have wireless CarPlay or Android Auto. One needs to have a wired connection.

· Registered
231 Posts
[/QUOTE)
2020 doesn’t have wireless CarPlay or Android Auto. One needs to have a wired connection.
I had trouble with bluetooth on my 2020S ApplePlay. Bought a short USB cable and it worked perfectly. Don’t know if this info relates to your problem. Every time I updated my iPhone or iPad all I got were more ads. Your kind of problems are very disturbing since the Infotainment System is a wonderful and useful major piece of equipment on a car. They should install a whole new Infotainment System since a fix is unable to be done, as another poster mentioned.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was my first Kia with all the bells a whistles and I wanted the latest software, in retrospect I should have left everything as it was.I never travel with out a Garmin for back up after seeing just how bad my wife's Highlander navigation was, I was hoping Kia's nav system would be a little better, It was slightly better than Toyota, but here in Florida the roads and routes change seemingly every five minutes. Even Garmin can't keep up and we do wind up using Google maps or Waze in a pinch. This is my sixth Kia vehicle that I have owned since 2005. I have enjoyed them all.

· Registered
3 Posts
Been there, and for months on end, no communication with the evo app, it cannot connect with the diagnostic window!

· Registered
15 Posts
Sorry Tree.

My '23 LX is wireless, so since the unit looks like ones I've seen in YouTube reviews past, I thought they were the same.
My Honey's 2020 Forte EX isn't wireless either. I purchased and installed a device from AA Wireless. I plugged it in to the USB port. went through a few steps, and now the android auto picks it up when she enters the car. Pretty nice!

Reactions: RickM46

· Registered
43 Posts
I don't know why it didnt work for you, I dl'ed it and took about an hour....everything's kind of newer now. You have to leave the car running not just "on"

· Registered
43 Posts
I have the 2020 GT Turbo ...I don't know why it didnt work for you, I dl'ed it and took about an hour....everything's kind of newer now. You have to leave the car running not just "on"

· Registered
684 Posts
I’ve just finished downloading it to a flash drive. This took the longest time ever, 1&1/2 hours at 5.3 mb per second. 😕
I’ll load it in the car later.

· Registered
684 Posts
If you have a working radio now , I wouldn't risk the update.
Well, I just loaded it on my Soul, 10.25 screen. It took 1 hour 11 minutes to update the radio and navigatio. The radio works and has kept, as best I can tell, all my presets. I kept the engine running for the entire proces.

· Registered
2014 1.6l manual
878 Posts
Well, I just loaded it on my Soul, 10.25 screen. It took 1 hour 11 minutes to update the radio and navigatio. The radio works and has kept, as best I can tell, all my presets. I kept the engine running for the entire proces.
I've never had a vehicle with onboard navigation - seems crazy to me to have to have the engine running for that long just to do an update. Versus say turning the key to the on position and going back in the house and watching a movie.

Is this - engine needing to be running - typical for updating onboard nav systems?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts