Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see a thread on the Navigation System updates here in this section.

Has anyone done an update on a 2020/2021?

Where is the SD card slot?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can answer part of my question since it appears I would have to do an update using USB only.

Reactions: Rock the Box

·
Registered
13 Posts
That does sound correct. I guess it would depend on which UVO system you have, whether it uses the APP for starting and stuff like that. Our 2020EX with designer package does not have a slot for the SD card either but it is upgraded through the app/computer. Have you called your dealer/service department to find out for your specific UVO system??

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
212 Posts
That does sound correct. I guess it would depend on which UVO system you have, whether it uses the APP for starting and stuff like that. Our 2020EX with designer package does not have a slot for the SD card either but it is upgraded through the app/computer. Have you called your dealer/service department to find out for your specific UVO system??
I also have a 2020 designer ex. Are you saying the GPS is upgraded automatically when new map upgrades are available?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have a 2020 designer ex. Are you saying the GPS is upgraded automatically when new map upgrades are available?
I do not think so Old-Soul. You have to pay for any updates that may come down the line, they are never free. I don't fully understand how they do it all but ours has the remote start and other features through the App and it came free with the car for 1 year only. If we do not pay for the second year of that, I'm sure we will still have the UVO maps/Navigation (to my knowledge) but just not be able to start it, turn on the seat heaters etc. remotely. So, I'm thinking when we have to pay for that UVO feature for our 2nd year that it might upgrade the maps also (?), but I do not know that for sure. Since it's my wife's car, and she likes to have it all warmed up with the seat heaters going, and she is pretty insistent on keeping that UVO feature. We lease our vehicles and have had the 14 Soul+, 17 Sportage EX and now she has this one, while I've had the 16 Optima SXL and now the 19 Forte EX/Launch Edition and on each of those, we had to pay for map updates, if we chose to update them. Since we do the 36 month lease, we have updated a couple times but will certainly do it for the 2020 Soul, for the reasons mentioned above. Hopefully that makes sense...if you know or hear of anything different, please let us know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The way I understand it, the UVO system and the Navigation system are, for the most part, separate. You can cancel all the UVO capabilities and still use the Nav System. Further, the Nav System updates are also totally separate from UVO and are downloadable for free.

The Navigation system update site is here:

In an email exchange with them they stated:

"We have not release any Maps for the 2021 KIA Soul just yet.

Please check back with us around early summer of 2021!"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you JohnLH...I was not aware that NAV updates were free..at least they are not for my 19 Forte...but will check it out for my wife's 2020 Soul Ex.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The way I understand it, the UVO system and the Navigation system are, for the most part, separate. You can cancel all the UVO capabilities and still use the Nav System. Further, the Nav System updates are also totally separate from UVO and are downloadable for free.

The Navigation system update site is here:

In an email exchange with them they stated:

"We have not release any Maps for the 2021 KIA Soul just yet.

Please check back with us around early summer of 2021!"
Thanks for the link. Not sure if I can figure out how to do it. Would the dealer do it for free?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link. Not sure if I can figure out how to do it. Would the dealer do it for free?
Info from the site says you can pay $25 USD and have the update shipped to you (shipping extra) on either a SD card or a USB drive, whichever is appropriate for your vehicle/model. Update from that media is relatively easy although you have to keep your car running throughout the update. This is easier than downloading if you aren't PC savvy, although it does cost a few $$$s. May be the best way, especially if you don't have a 32 GB SD card or a 64 GB USB drive, either of which you would have to purchase.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Info from the site says you can pay $25 USD and have the update shipped to you (shipping extra) on either a SD card or a USB drive, whichever is appropriate for your vehicle/model. Update from that media is relatively easy although you have to keep your car running throughout the update. This is easier than downloading if you aren't PC savvy, although it does cost a few $$$s. May be the best way, especially if you don't have a 32 GB SD card or a 64 GB USB drive, either of which you would have to purchase.
I do have a new 64 GB flash drive. Maybe I'll try it. Is there a way to tell if I already have the latest maps?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
492 Posts
I did the update today total time from start to finish just about 2 hours, maybe a little less. Be patient.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't see a thread on the Navigation System updates here in this section.

Has anyone done an update on a 2020/2021?

Where is the SD card slot?
No we, use usb flash drive, I checked and my 2021 was outdated already. So download to usb and install.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A new Navigation and software update was released today.
I was hoping for some changes from the "tube" update, but it doesn't look like it. The first on the changeling list is a FM Radio Tunnel Sound Improvement, for when you are listening to the FM Radio, and you enter a tunnel and reception gets poor, this will help reduce static.

I am curious what the "Expanded application of theme design" is, maybe a new UI.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I updated, it said it would take 25 minutes, it took an hour. Previous updates took an hour too, but this update does say it would take 25 minutes.

Nothing looks different, I was hoping maybe they would let us add more radio presets for siriusxm. I was also hoping the main page would get fixed, but still the same.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Definitely took an hour for me as well. 25 minutes was completely inaccurate. Had to go back and disable split screen for CarPlay. Why wouldn't I want my full screen dedicated to something that is so much more usable?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just tried to download the update, got a message “please try again later, your update is being prepared.”???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts