Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I notice since I updated to 13.5 when my phone is connected via bluetooth there is no longer a signal strength meter or battery indicator on the screen in radio mode. There is the indication you are connected via bluetooth and that contacts have been loaded. And there is still the icon that emergency calling is initiated.
The missing icons are now present in the calling screen when actually making a call. No idea why someone thought this was a good idea especially the battery indicator but even the signal strength is important to know. So now you have to pick up your phone to check those two things or see it when you make a call. Maybe it is a software glitch?

·
Registered
72 Posts
When did they start charging for these updates, last time I did a map update, it was free
For my 2015 Soul Exclaim with Primo pkg - I too received ONE free update (to obtain Android Auto and Apple Carplay) last summer. At the time I was notified that I could get one update for free but that I would have to pay for all others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The free software updates did not contain a map update. If you've only installed the Android Auto/Carplay update from Kia, you still have the original stock maps from when you purchased the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The free software updates did not contain a map update. If you've only installed the Android Auto/Carplay update from Kia, you still have the original stock maps from when you purchased the vehicle.
That is correct. And it's the only time the OS could be upgraded without the map update.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No that is NOT correct. I obtained an update from MNSoft that included BOTH a map update and AA/ACp update. I got this in May 2018 for almost free - I personally had to pay $50 to be sent a new SD card because I only have a Linux computer and therefore could not download to the existing SD card and they charge you to send one.

Granted even though I got this in 2018, I only received the 2016 Map version. My new SD card reads: "2016 Map Update 96S52"

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Then why/how did I get an update to the map?
Very technically there was a map update associated with that one separate OS update. It was not a complete update however, but to implement the OS update some of the Map had to be updated. If that same OS update was implemented now to a higher version map there would be no map update so in that regard it is only an OS update.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Very technically there was a map update associated with that one separate OS update. It was not a complete update however, but to implement the OS update some of the Map had to be updated. If that same OS update was implemented now to a higher version map there would be no map update so in that regard it is only an OS update.
Whew, 1984 speak.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got email today regarding AUG 2020 update.
Followed link,
No specifications as to which version #,
Downloaded, poked around in files,
Same version as the SD card I received and installed in APR 2020.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I installed the new Nov2020 update, and at the very least it makes a bunch of small graphical changes. Things like being able to specify what colors to use on the Nav maps, and how your music covers show up in the media player. It also adds "ambient noises" to the Media section in case you want to fall asleep and crash while listening to the soothing sounds of the ocean...

Reactions: mjhammer

·
Premium Member
Co. foothills with a 2018 and 2012 Soul + Shadows
400 Posts
I installed the new Nov2020 update, and at the very least it makes a bunch of small graphical changes. Things like being able to specify what colors to use on the Nav maps, and how your music covers show up in the media player. It also adds "ambient noises" to the Media section in case you want to fall asleep and crash while listening to the soothing sounds of the ocean...
What process did you follow? Or did they supply some kind of steps along with the update? I've been out to the Kia update site, but still don't know if I fully get it. I didn't want to just randomly install software on my PC without knowing more.

In my 2018, it has the Media slot above the console. I've looked it in and observed media. I did not pull it out, but it looked from what I saw like a standard MicroSD card. If so, can I hook that up to my computer? I have many readers available, os if it is a standard MicroSD I can R/W to it. But, that means nothing if the formatting is different or something. Seems there's a lot of unknowns to me.

Can I use a regular USB stick? I've got quite a few of those as well, in different sizes. I think the smallest I can easily put my hands on is 16GB.

I guess I just don't have enough info to go on. Did you install the PC Software, etc.. ?

Anyway, thanks for any follow up ! :)

H

·
Registered
630 Posts
I installed the update program to my PC; downloaded the update to my PC hardrive; then transferred it to a 32GB SDHC card I purchased from Amazon. Worked perfectly. MapnSoft will be updating the techsheet on what differences there are from the update earlier this year.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
. It also adds "ambient noises" to the Media section in case you want to fall asleep and crash while listening to the soothing sounds of the ocean...
My wife and I laughed over that one for more than a minute.. How true it is.. LOL

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
968 Posts
It also adds "ambient noises" to the Media section in case you want to fall asleep and crash while listening to the soothing sounds of the ocean...
They really added this feature to the Soul? The 2021 Genesis G80 & G90 also have this disturbing feature, Genesis being the luxury arm of Hyundai/ Kia. Soothing ambient sounds are the last thing a driver needs during long highway trips. I assume it's meant to be played while in stressful bumper-to-bumper traffic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They really added this feature to the Soul? The 2021 Genesis G80 & G90 also have this disturbing feature, Genesis being the luxury arm of Hyundai/ Kia. Soothing ambient sounds are the last thing a driver needs during long highway trips. I assume it's meant to be played while in stressful bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Yeah, it is definitely there. I was shocked to see it. It just seems so inappropriate and dangerous.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
31 Posts
What process did you follow? Or did they supply some kind of steps along with the update? I've been out to the Kia update site, but still don't know if I fully get it. I didn't want to just randomly install software on my PC without knowing more.

In my 2018, it has the Media slot above the console. I've looked it in and observed media. I did not pull it out, but it looked from what I saw like a standard MicroSD card. If so, can I hook that up to my computer? I have many readers available, os if it is a standard MicroSD I can R/W to it. But, that means nothing if the formatting is different or something. Seems there's a lot of unknowns to me.

Can I use a regular USB stick? I've got quite a few of those as well, in different sizes. I think the smallest I can easily put my hands on is 16GB.

I guess I just don't have enough info to go on. Did you install the PC Software, etc.. ?

Anyway, thanks for any follow up ! :)

H
Yeah, I can definitely answer some of your questions. The downloader I used was for PC. It lets you do accept the "if I blow up my radio I get to keep both parts", so MapnSoft isn't on the hook for a failed flash.

The software will download about 22GB of data, so you'll need a 32GB card. It will offer to setup install media. I originally tried to install via USB flash drive, but that doesn't work.

I powered off my car, and removed the SD from the radio (push to click, slide out). I inserted that into a USB reader, and used the tool to overwrite the SD with the new update. It formats it FAT32, so it will complain if you try to use a 64GB SD card.

I then took the SD back to the car, inserted it, and then powered on the car. Screen almost immediately prompted to start an update. Click in the affirmative, and off it goes.

The update takes about 20-30 minutes, during which you CANNOT turn off the car. So plan to take a little ride, or leave it idling somewhere safe.

Once it finishes, the radio will reboot, and you are done. You leave the SD card alone until the next update.

Best of luck!

Reactions: mjhammer

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Funny thing,

I ordered-installed SD update APR20.

Then email AUG20, new update.
Download did not indicate different version,
But I installed on advice of others here,
Yes, it was new version.

Now, I see NOV20 download update.
I download the update,
Insert SD card,
PC download program says 'same version',
I push to SD anyway.
Put SD into car and 30min (est) update.
A few readily noticable changes.

Hmmm....

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Thank you so much.. after reading this I started the process. up to 69% download completed. about another 17 mins to go I think. I see it is the Nov20 update that is being pushed to the SD card. Which BTW, I did pull using your instructions, and it is in my computer right now.. :) I hope I have sufficient time to complete the update. Have to drive to Grandma's today..

21 - 40 of 42 Posts