Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I get the update once a year, after the second update for the year is released. If you don't travel much you really don't need to do it that often though. In 2014 I was floored how good the Kia system/navigation and screen was even compared to much higher priced cars. The incorporation of sound muting on calls, and even lowering a high fan to low when on a phone call was not found in lower end cars or even some higher cost ones.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

No worky for me:blue:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow, so it looks like Kia combined the map update with the software/firmware update. This really sucks. If you notice, the update is showing that it is improving features of your navigational system. Before this was separate so you could get these improvements without paying money. Now they combine the two together to entice you to spend $145. THAT's why the myuvo website doesn't work anymore. They now want you to buy the map to get the new features. Thank God I updated my Soul last year before they broke the firmware update ability through the myuvo website.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Wow, so it looks like Kia combined the map update with the software/firmware update. This really sucks. If you notice, the update is showing that it is improving features of your navigational system. Before this was separate so you could get these improvements without paying money. Now they combine the two together to entice you to spend $145. THAT's why the myuvo website doesn't work anymore. They now want you to buy the map to get the new features. Thank God I updated my Soul last year before they broke the firmware update ability through the myuvo website.
As explained in a thread you started on this, there never was a way to update the firmware separate from the Map update but for a one time update that included Android Auto.This is how it is done to my knowledge for all manufacturers and for sure all cars we have or had. Nothing has really changed since 2014.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The new Map update is out. (13.5)
Added in this update in addition to updates from 13.0;

Pause and resume route button, same button can cancel route also. Very handy for those who travel when getting off the highway for gas, or some other temporary reason. Keeps the system from re-routing constantly.

Improved 3D buildings.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Another new addition I found after installing the 13.5 update. If you set the map to Auto zoom, there now is a setting to pick what the zoom level is based on your speed. For slower speeds you could pick a zoomed in setting to see roads as they come better or more detail. Medium speeds not quite so zoomed in so you can see the area better and highway speed might be much more zoomed out etc. It's all done automatically as could be before, but before if you chose Auto Zoom the zoom was pre- set for each speed by the OS now you can decide for each speed what the zoom will be. Nice addition.

I also detect screen changes are a little snappier.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I find it interesting that the update (13.5) for 2014-2017 has less miles, POIs, and etc. vs the same update number for 2018-2019 models.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
With as I remember one exception every map update on the 2nd gen models has had a cost. The 2014 model had a special of about 1/2 the cost till last year or for some the year before, and there may have been one free update, the first one on the 2014 model. None of our cars, Kia, Mazda, Nissan, GM have free updates for maps. I'm guessing most to all manufacturers do not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts