Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Soul fans! I am narrowing down my choices for purchase of a CAI and axle-back exhaust. Need some input from those that have gone before me, if you would be so kind. I'm down to either the Injen SP1310 CAI or the Takeda 'Link' CAI to go with a Stillen exhaust, and eventually, a phenolic spacer from SharkRacing and a Thorley header. So as far as cost, performance, fit, quality of manufacture, and finish, between the Takeda or Injen, who is "it"? The Injen and Takeda appear to be very similar in looks, claimed performance, and cost, so how to tell which is better? I had a SHOshop CAI with a K&N on My SHO, along with a Magnaflow exhaust, LPM, MAF, and other goodies, but I have no experience with modding of Kias (yet). I'm also going to go with the SSD STB over the Stillen, simply because I've had experience with an Aluminum STB flexing too much. TIA for the replies and advice!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the Stillen exhaust installed and I really like it alot. I know alot of people like the Doug Thorley set up, but I don't. If you are gonna change it you might as well be able to see it. I went with the Stillen intake also. I should of thought that over a little more and maybe went with one of the other CAI's but I'll live with it for now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have spent quite a few hours in the last 2 days going over the threads here and at soulhamsters.com and elsewhere, looking for what I think is best and I have come to the conclusion that although I like the Injen CAI, I don't like the way it sits in the engine bay. Same thing with the Thorley exhaust; I just like the looks of the Stillen better. Therefore, I think I am going to go with the Takeda CAI and the Stillen axle-back. I have a few other cosmetic goodies I'm getting soon too, so funds will have to be built back up for the next round of bolt-ons, which will hopefully include a Thorley header and a phenolic spacer. I am going to inquire with my local metal fab shop (which owes me a couple favors) about getting a custom engine cover cut out of SS also. If I am going to pay ~$150 for an engine cover, it won't be for the POS factory one that (in all honesty) should have been on there in the first friggin place. Later!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
The injen is great, as is the takeda. They are almost identical in many ways. What do you not like about the Injen?

I don't know why the guy above said you can't see the Thorley, you for sure can.

I don't think I ever put them head to head for gains though, but both look and sound great. I just can't justify spending that much for axle back, when i can get a full exhaust for $300 locally.

I'd avoid the "phenolic" spacer, and anything else, from SR. LOL

Hit me up about the spacers on IM or elsewhere my man. I may have a deal for you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the looks of the Stillen over the more hidden/ subtle look of the DTH, even if I gotta "pay" for that look. I had a phenolic spacer on my last toy and know they work, which is why I am looking at it. Is SharkRacing to be avoided or are you joking? I ask because they do have many items I'm interested in, and I'd rather know the reputation they have now as opposed to later.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'd just say that if you want to get your items in a timely fashion, from a company few have ever had a problem with, I'd look elsewhere. You can get everything they sell from someone else.

Phenolic spacers are great, REAL ones especially. I've got a setup on my Tiburon from Outlaw Engineering. Great kit. I even did the install manual for it.

The Stillen does look great. We were talking about it in another thread, and other than the price, that exhaust can limit some of the stuff you can do. Namely, rear body adons, such as the OEM bodykit, or other bodykit lips. Also, you can't do a hitch with it on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you look at the pics in my profile you can see quite a few views of the exhaust. Like RED said, if you want this one thats all you get. You will not be able to add the hitch or the body mods. I wanted that "look" too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh shoot, I didn't know you couldn't do a hitch. Ahh well, it's worth it. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts