Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previously owned a white 2016, and a black 2019... just took delivery of a 2020 [X-Line] July 28th. Some things I DO NOT LIKE ABOUT THE NEW ONE!
1. My subscription to Sirius XM radio is wasted.... the radio has no provision for Sirius XM.
2. No cargo tray! For five years, I could go shopping and have three neat storage sections for hauling items home. And, the tray would fit UNDER the folding "flat-floor" board, if desired... the tray would fit in the "hole". Sometimes I just left the cargo tray on the flat floor... it did not shift because it was designed with Velcro strips on the bottom. All the new car has is a big hole!
3. As noted in #2, there is also NO BOARD to make floor flat! Absurd!
4. Hate having to use a key to start the car... switchblade type. And, on the 2019, one just had to have the fob in your pocket; then push the little button on the door knob to open the door... the push the start button! This is old school and not an improvement!
5. Now one has to push the fob button twice to get the hatch unlocked! Before, just being near the hatch, with the fob in your pocket, one could open the hatch.
6. This car is rough riding and too much road noise through the tires; probably due the the exclusive wheels and tires used on this model.
7. The transmission is not nearly as smooth shifting as the previous two Souls. This transmission seems to "hang-up" in gears, rather than shifting un-noticed like previous two Souls.
8. I think my 2019 ran much better.. and, had better performance.
NOTE: for folk like me that convert to K&N air filters on the intake system... I always buy K&N filters for all new and used vehicles. K&N told me the filter for my 2019 would fit the 2020 - so I kept it and put the "new", original filter back in the 2019 before I traded it. Beware... the 2020 filter is different! It is a true rectangle. Previous years had a rectangular filter with one "clipped" corner.
Bottom line... I wish I had kept my Black 2019 Soul +.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe they are adding something to the new model year to make the ride smoother on the xline.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are they adding? The ride and road noise is much worse; which I attribute to the specific wheels and tires on this new model. Most of the issues noted above (in the rear of the car) are a result of the design changes for the third generation Soul.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
All your complaints would have been addressed on a decent test drive, so my question, why did you buy the car?

Pat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All your complaints would have been addressed on a decent test drive, so my question, why did you buy the car?

Pat.
Two 2020 EX+ Souls in the family. Both run like Swiss watches. Shifting is smooth in both the standard or sport modes. The ride on the factory OEM 17" alloys is exceptionally smooth whith a whisper of road noise. Winter driving on downsized OEM 16" steelies with Blizzack rubber is exceptionally quiet and they handle whatever mother nature throws at us. The only feature I dislike is the ISS (Idle stop-start) Occasionally it makes a groaning sound, especially more so in the cold winter months. When re-starting and taking off from an idle stop, the vehicles seem to have a slight lag, most likely the brake roll back feature disengaging, and the hydraulics and IVT engaging. We just turn the ISG feature OFF. Best vehicle I've ever driven and I've owned many. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,986 Posts
Previously owned a white 2016, and a black 2019... just took delivery of a 2020 [X-Line] July 28th. Some things I DO NOT LIKE ABOUT THE NEW ONE!
1. My subscription to Sirius XM radio is wasted.... the radio has no provision for Sirius XM.
2. No cargo tray! For five years, I could go shopping and have three neat storage sections for hauling items home. And, the tray would fit UNDER the folding "flat-floor" board, if desired... the tray would fit in the "hole". Sometimes I just left the cargo tray on the flat floor... it did not shift because it was designed with Velcro strips on the bottom. All the new car has is a big hole!
3. As noted in #2, there is also NO BOARD to make floor flat! Absurd!
4. Hate having to use a key to start the car... switchblade type. And, on the 2019, one just had to have the fob in your pocket; then push the little button on the door knob to open the door... the push the start button! This is old school and not an improvement!
5. Now one has to push the fob button twice to get the hatch unlocked! Before, just being near the hatch, with the fob in your pocket, one could open the hatch.
6. This car is rough riding and too much road noise through the tires; probably due the the exclusive wheels and tires used on this model.
7. The transmission is not nearly as smooth shifting as the previous two Souls. This transmission seems to "hang-up" in gears, rather than shifting un-noticed like previous two Souls.
8. I think my 2019 ran much better.. and, had better performance.
NOTE: for folk like me that convert to K&N air filters on the intake system... I always buy K&N filters for all new and used vehicles. K&N told me the filter for my 2019 would fit the 2020 - so I kept it and put the "new", original filter back in the 2019 before I traded it. Beware... the 2020 filter is different! It is a true rectangle. Previous years had a rectangular filter with one "clipped" corner.
Bottom line... I wish I had kept my Black 2019 Soul +.
Hey Red, I hate that Sirius XM dilemma for Gen3 (unless you get EX or Turbo) too.

If you are willing to stream XM thru your phone via Apple or Android car lay, then you can get XM in your car. Of course that requires using your phones data plan, which may or not be an issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts