Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted here in a long time, but thought I'd share this with you all. Last Tuesday night I got in an accident. Someone on the expressway swerved and her Mercury Mountaineer ended up sideways directly in front of me. I didn't have any time to react, and ran directly into the side of her vehicle at probably 55-65 mph (traffic was beginning to slow down a bit, so I'm not sure of the exact speed). After I hit her, my Soul did a complete rollover, landing back on its wheels on the side of the road.

The reason I'm sharing this info is so you all can get an idea of how you might fare if (God forbid) a similar accident should ever happen to you. I was able to get out of the car and walk to safety on my own. I did have my seat belt on. All the airbags went off, including the side curtain ones. Because of that, my head never touched the window, even during the rollover. I have lots of bruises, a few cuts (my left elbow DID manage to hit the window) and lots of soreness, but no broken bones, no internal injuries and no head injuries at all (not even a scratch). I'm amazed at how well the Soul protected me during that crash. The paramedics, emergency room doctors and the insurance people were all surprised that I have as few injuries as I do.

I'm attaching a few pics so you can see my poor car. So, my lovely car is wrecked. The insurance adjustor said there was over $21,000 worth of damage to it. And as soon as I get the check, I'll be going to purchase a 2012 Soul. It's going to be a while before I'll feel safe in any car, I think, but I was very impressed with how the Soul held up and protected me, so I'm going to stick with what I know. I really do miss my car, though.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
wow, so glad you are okay and to walk away from a situation like that and certainly speaks volumes for the safety features of the Soul. You did not say what year it was?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Very glad to see you made it out unharmed!!!!! Also very glad to see the Soul did you right!!! Where did this happen I-96? Hey I'm the parts manager at Feldman Kia in Novi Mi. I can look for you to see if have a Soul you might like. let me know.

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
This is not the first example of just how freaking safe the Soul is. It is the most impressive though. Wow! Amazing.

So glad to see you basically unharmed. What a story. Can't wait to see the '12 model you'll be getting! Share pics of it when you get it!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm glad you're unharmed too! You should share those pics and story with Kia, they love to hear things like that. What I'm most shocked about (I also have a Molten Soul) is more paint didn't come off in the accident since it almost falls off by itself normally. LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
conwelpic, it was a 2010 Kia Soul +. I really loved that car! I did a ton of research before I bought it, had the dealership search for a week or two for the one I wanted, haggled as much as I could... LOL can you tell I miss it?

Cobra259, the accident was on I-696 Eastbound, just past the Telegraph exit. At least I don't have to drive on 696 regularly. I'm not looking forward to the first time I have to drive past that spot.

NurseDiesel, the paint stayed on the front pretty well, which surprised me too. The sides have huge white streaks on them, as expected, from the rollover. If you look at it from the back, though, it looks pretty much untouched. (attaching a pic so you can see). A few friends have also suggested that I share the story and pics with Kia, and I think I will. I'm very grateful to them for building such a safe car.

I kinda feel like Chococat in my back window is waving goodbye :(

·
Registered
564 Posts
Lucky guess. Kia would LOVE your story! I get the Kia magazine called (Open road) here at my dealership, there are stories like your's in them all the time! You can see a copy on line at, KIA.COM. Hell you never know, Kia might step up and give you a hell of a deal on a 2012.

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
I kinda feel like Chococat in my back window is waving goodbye :(

It does look like that. Kind of makes you want to cut out that section of the glass and take it home.

Definitely share your story. This is really very cool. Not the accident, of course, but just how safe this little car really is! I feel much safer now, actually.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Well done to the car and well done for you having chosen it in the first place - glad your ok. Have fun and take care with the next one.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Stay well!

I am glad you are in such good shape. I wish you well with your new Soul, both buying it and driving it! I am commuting now after years of working near home and I wonder every day how there aren't more such accidents.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am glad to hear you are OK and getting a new Soul. I am on I-696 all the time and hate it, there are so many bad drivers.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Is there any way the mods could collate all these photos and reports of accidents involving Souls into a Sticky? As an ex-EMT I think it's very important that a searchable thread could be available so that prospective buyers can see that safety ratings and stuff are actually being proven in real-world accidents.

It's harrowing to see Forum members losing their cherished vehicles, but heart-warming to know that the safety designed in is really doing an awesome job in protecting the occupants.

Good job Kia.

·
Registered
767 Posts
nlthomas!

So glad that you walked away from that accident! Thanks for sharing your pics and story. It gives me a warm fuzzy, knowing that I bought a Safe car three weeks ago.

MT-ED!

Excellent idea, about making a Sticky!

Cheers!

BB

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Wow! That was a heck of a wreck, so glad your OK! The Soul held up very well all things considered.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
for eons there have been sea stories about dolphin saving people from drowning by pushing them to shallow water - people love "feel good" stories -

in actuality dolphins love to play with just about any floating object and will push them all over the ocean - it only stands to reason that some of those floating objects (people) will be pushed AWAY from the shore just as easily as being pushed toward the shore - now we don't have testimony from those pushed away for obvious reasons - so there are no "not so feel good" stories about dolphins -

perhaps this disconnect is what we are seeing with all the "life-saving" stories about our souls - makes you wonder if highway crash report statistics will actually show some actual advantage or not -

but, the stories do make for some "feel good" reading, don't they ?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
for eons there have been sea stories about dolphin saving people from drowning by pushing them to shallow water - people love "feel good" stories -

in actuality dolphins love to play with just about any floating object and will push them all over the ocean - it only stands to reason that some of those floating objects (people) will be pushed AWAY from the shore just as easily as being pushed toward the shore - now we don't have testimony from those pushed away for obvious reasons - so there are no "not so feel good" stories about dolphins -

perhaps this disconnect is what we are seeing with all the "life-saving" stories about our souls - makes you wonder if highway crash report statistics will actually show some actual advantage or not -

but, the stories do make for some "feel good" reading, don't they ?
the dolphin thing is false. there have been known cases, some fairly recent, of dolphins saving the lives of humans by doing more than just "pushing them all over the ocean." forming rings protective rings around humans in the water in order to ward off a shark sounds like more than just a "feel good story" to me. research...become acquainted with it.

same goes for the soul. the Soul in general is a safe vehicle, the safety ratings are what sold me on it, along with the various crash test videos i watched. hearing and seeing actual accounts of fellow soul drivers who've gotten into nasty accidents and left nigh unscathed is reassuring, but not because it's some "fairy tale story."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where did you get that really cool Chococat decal?!
I searched all over for one...found a few, but this was by far my favorite. Kinda slow shipping, but other than that it was great. Actually, I thought that it had gotten lost in the mail because it was taking so long, so I emailed them about it. Got no response...but a few days later it showed up in the mail. Along with the first one, so I ended up with two. One will go on my new Soul :D

CHOCOCAT HELLO KITTY CAT sticker decal car window vinyl [Hk-0011] - $5.00 : algraphixDECALS.com, The Art of the Decal

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thank you so much for the info on Chococat! I see your had an apple on there too, I keep forgetting to put mine on. I see by the link they're only $5 now.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts