Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to share some of my experiences with my new Soul to demonstrate just how long these vehicles will last and give others some insight on repairs and things I've done.

Now save the comments, but I bought my 2010 Soul ! With 172,000 miles on it. As far as I know, it is one of the highest mileage Souls in my area and definitely the highest mileage my Kia shop has ever seen. I know it's pure madness to buy a car with that kind of mileage but for the price and the impeccable service record and car fax, it seemed like a fit for me. Everything I wanted in a car. I had just got rid of my 2005 Audi A4 so it had everything I missed from my Audi. Premium audio, power sunroof, heated seats, all the good stuff. The exterior, immaculate, the interior not without a few scuffs and a little love but overall excellent condition. When I got the car from a less than reputable dealer, it immediately had issues with the car not starting after running low on fuel and filling up. Turns out it was the fuel flow mass spectroid valve, which the dealer replaced for free. Soon after, I took the car in to Kia for a full check and to address some noises I heard in the suspension. On the first pass, they tightened suspension and frame bolts and I had them do a transmission flush, oil change, fuel filter change, and timing and tensioner belt replacement. Ran me about $600. That trip to the dealer also revealed that I had purchased the Ghost edition Kia Soul!! Since that maintenance I have been loving my ghost but the sounds in the suspension have returned, and have had me back in for diagnosis two additional times. Kia did a free tightening of all the frame and suspension bolts but that only temporarily fixed the noise. It wasn't until my trip today to Les Schwab today that it was revealed that the noise, a springy creak when I turn one way or the other or go over bumps at low speeds, was the control arm bushings. I've seen many Soul complaints about suspension noises with no solution so I figured I would share this with fellow Soul-mates in hopes of helping diagnose the mysterious front end noise!

That said, I love my little ghost! All other things checked, both Les Schwab and Kia said the car is in excellent condition and shows no mechanical signs of the 172k+ miles on it. What shocks me even more is even with the regular service done by Kia, the timing belt was NEVER changed until it came in to my possession. I intend to baby the car, do lots of aftermarket upgrades like roof racks and fun stuff like audio equipment, never take it past 80mph, treat it to fuel cleaners and premium gas, and we'll see how far ghost and I make it. Stay tuned for more and lemme know if this helps you! Cheers!

-Ghost and I

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,173 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums! :applause:

Interesting store you told and it goes to show you that IF you do proper maintenance these little cars are very durable! :eek:nthego:

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,683 Posts
Impressive, 208. I don't know what a Ghost edition is but apparently yours has Extended Life.

I had a 2007 Spectra with that same 2.0 mill and replaced the belt and tensioner at 21K and five years. Excellent mill that got great mileage and had good torque.

Keep us updated with your Ghost stories!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,802 Posts
With that kind of mileage I don't think any of the repairs or maintenance you had done is out of line. You'd expect to spend some extra money on ghost busters at first, but with those things taken care of I bet you get a few more years of life & with a rebuilt engine someday, an after-life.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That said, I love my little ghost! All other things checked, both Les Schwab and Kia said the car is in excellent condition and shows no mechanical signs of the 172k+ miles on it. What shocks me even more is even with the regular service done by Kia, the timing belt was NEVER changed until it came in to my possession. I intend to baby the car, do lots of aftermarket upgrades like roof racks and fun stuff like audio equipment, never take it past 80mph, treat it to fuel cleaners and premium gas, and we'll see how far ghost and I make it. Stay tuned for more and lemme know if this helps you! Cheers!

-Ghost and I
Do whatever cleaners that you must,but you'll waste your money and not help the engine if you use premium gas in it. I could understand using midgrade/89 octane on HOT days over 90f,but premium 92/93 would be overkill.

Good luck with your Ghost. My '12 + has 157,291 well maintained miles and drives ALMOST like new. They're great cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, quick unrelated update, right after posting this my engine light comes on and threw and EVAP code (P0455). I know this can be the gas cap, which I retightened after adding fuel, and the solenoid valve and fuel filter have both been replaced within a matter of weeks. I'm thinking it could be temperature fluctuations and maybe the after market cap being on crooked, I'm gonna let it sit for a while on a full tank and see what happens in the morning. I'm thinking with three trips into the shop recently I seriously doubt it could be anything major. I usually drive very gently but the light did come on on the way home from work after an aggressive acceleration past a local jackass. Obviously a lot of exhaust was going through the EVAP system at this time. If anyone has any recommendations before I go pester Kia again tomorrow let me know. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
751 Posts
With that many miles your next big expense will be O2 sensors and a catalyst. Oxygen sensors are really only designed for 100-120K miles anyway.And every catalytic converter has a finite lifespan. I don't know what the Soul will do, but many 4 cylinder vehicles only see 130K before the cat starts acting up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Back again. Unhooked the battery, plugged it back in, fired the car up with no engine light. Drove it for about 15-20 mins, some idling, varying types of driving (slow and consistent vs really giving it some gas) and the light has not come back on. Suspecting the gas cap as the car has been in the shop too much for there to probably be any more issues for a while

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Back again. Unhooked the battery, plugged it back in, fired the car up with no engine light. Drove it for about 15-20 mins, some idling, varying types of driving (slow and consistent vs really giving it some gas) and the light has not come back on. Suspecting the gas cap as the car has been in the shop too much for there to probably be any more issues for a while
If it does come back on... you seem to know not to do this already, but did you "top off" the last time you filled it with gas?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The last fill was a top off, yes. I used the remainder of a fuel card I had. Kicking myself now because the EVAP system only checks itself when the tank is less than full.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Yea, don't top of your car.... when the pump clicks off on it's own... that's it.

Topping off can cause you actual problems with the evap system that could cost money.

It's in the manual somewhere as a warning to not top off. Glad you are enjoying your car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh no no, I meant top off as in just filled the tank back up from partially empty. I never click beyond full. Two different verbages at play here. I tried to trigger a drive cycle today and drove it 30 miles or so at speeds between 65 and 80mph, no light, also spoke with Kia and they encouraged that the only way I would've thrown a p0455 Large EVAP leak would be a GAPING hole in the canister, tank, or hoses, something that would've likely been caught during some of the last services I've had. I'll keep an eye on it but probably just the gas cap. I know I may seem overly cautious or annoying to some but nothing teaches you more about cars than having a used one and exploring problems for the first time.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,802 Posts
DTC Code P0455

FYI from the manual:

SOUL(AM): 2010 Code: P0455 Evaporative Emission System-Leak detected (Large leak)

General Description
Due to the increasing ambient temperature of the fuel and the return of unused hot fuel from the engine, fuel vapors are generated in the tank. In order to control the release of these vapors to the atmosphere, the evaporative emissions control system is used. The evaporative emission control system reduces hydrocarbon (HC) emissions by trapping fuel tank vapors until they can be burned in the combustion process. Evaporating fuel is stored in a charcoal canister until it can be flushed into the intake manifold. The evaporative emission control system is made up of a fuel tank that can be completely sealed from outside air, a Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor (FTPS), a Canister Close Valve (CCV) that seals the canister from the outside air, a canister filled with activated charcoal granules, a Purge Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV). The evaporative emission system can be checked for leaks by sealing the system off from the outside air, creating a vacuum, and monitoring if the system can hold that vacuum sufficiently for a set amount of time. If it cannot, a leak exists somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Yea, don't top of your car.... when the pump clicks off on it's own... that's it.

Topping off can cause you actual problems with the evap system that could cost money.

It's in the manual somewhere as a warning to not top off. Glad you are enjoying your car.

Try trying to make the pump jockeys understand that!
The pump clicks off and they click-click-click every penny, often with fuel running down the fender, just so they don't have to make any change!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
So, quick unrelated update, right after posting this my engine light comes on and threw and EVAP code (P0455). I know this can be the gas cap, which I retightened after adding fuel, and the solenoid valve and fuel filter have both been replaced within a matter of weeks. I'm thinking it could be temperature fluctuations and maybe the after market cap being on crooked, I'm gonna let it sit for a while on a full tank and see what happens in the morning. I'm thinking with three trips into the shop recently I seriously doubt it could be anything major. I usually drive very gently but the light did come on on the way home from work after an aggressive acceleration past a local jackass. Obviously a lot of exhaust was going through the EVAP system at this time. If anyone has any recommendations before I go pester Kia again tomorrow let me know. Thanks for the feedback!

Try running a cat cleaner if the light comes on again.
I am told that even a 10% decrease in cat efficiency is enough to trip the light fantastic (c.e.l.)
My wifes elantra did that towards the end of our ownership.
I am told it is common, especially with local and not enough hwy driving.
I read somewhere that some folks run lacquer thinner to clean out their cats but I think I would refrain from such antics and use a prescribed cat cleaner. (berrymans, crc, cat clean)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Really loving the cat cleaner idea, thanks for the advice. Might do it anyways just to give the car a treat but we're a day two now and no light. I also might have O'reilly's run the OBD II and see if EVAP is set to YES because that will also tell me for sure if EVAP has ran

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wow, Soul208, good to see someone with a high-mileage Soul! It's unlikely we'll ever get there (only about 10K miles/year for us) and not doing a lot of highway driving brings its own set of problems. But it looked to me back in 2010 that the car could do the miles if it had to. Good to see confirmation of that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts