Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My mileage sucks. The car is great, it feels quick and agile, there is nothing wrong with the motor or transmission or suspension. Tire pressure is right, I'm using good quality fuel, never use AC and have no modifications whatsoever. Yet on my last tank I got an abysmal 19.2mpg :eek:
So, I have concluded it's my driving habits that are killing my fuel economy, therefore I will try to change the way I drive and see if it makes any difference. I have gathered lots of info on the art of eco-driving and although it seems like it's going to be pretty difficult to do in this hilly town full of bad drivers, non-synchronized traffic lights and constant bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic, I will do my best to try this unconventional (to me at least) approach.

I will make updates to this thread every few days and report results after each refill.
If anyone is interested - keep following my story.
If not, simply disregard!
Kris

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not trying to derail your thread, and I'm interested in your quest for sure, but here's a pic I took from Gas Cubby:

I have a lead foot. Big time. And somehow I still got 28.1mpg.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK, so WTF is wrong with my car? 19.2 mpg? And I don't have a lead foot at all...:confused:
I'm seriously jealous of your mileage.
Kris

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have found that actually going 55 on the highway gets me better mpg and way less stress. Have been doing it for maybe 2 years now.

What is the minimum you can do for highway driving in Canada? If you follow all the minimum limits including city driving and use your cruise control, including in the city, you might see an improvment? Last fill-up I got 33.8mpg but I do most of my driving on the highway. No way for me to see an average between them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That picture is from a mix of probably 60/40 city and highway driving respectively. I drive about 3 miles to work, and 3 miles home, all in town. I don't try to conserve gas at all. Coming from a 4Runner that achieved 12mpg in town if I really tried, 28.1mpg is a godsend.

Also, I drive 65 in 55 zones and 75 in 65 zones. Nothing conservative about that. :p

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm getting low 20's (miles per gallon) as well. It's windy, hilly and I have a lead foot. One of my best tanks was when I pushed it 125 -130 km/h. I got 11 km/liter. I usually get only 10.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My driving is all city, short (or very short) trips, lots of uphill struggle and frequent stops at traffic lights. Absolutely the worst combination. I guess that kind of explains it.
Still, I'd like to try and make my mileage better if possible...
Kris

·
Registered
9 Posts
sometimes it takes awhile to break in

Sometimes it takes a new motor awhile to break in.

I dont have a soul yet but will soon

but on my current car it took alittle while to break in. i have a suv and when i first got it i was getting like 15 mpg and then its went up to 18-20 mpg in the city

·
Registered
35 Posts
The mileage I'm getting in almost all city driving averages 23 to 24 mpg here in Wichita. I've had my Soul since 3/28. So, I am getting what Kia says is the City average.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Here's a record of my fuel mileage average is 27.52 MPG. 85% city driving.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fcuk! If I make 380kms on a tank I'm ecstatic....:confused:
Kris

·
Registered
274 Posts
Clearly my motor is broken in (12000 kilometers) so why did it not improve????? Is there anything that I can do to the engine that will make it more efficient?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Clearly my motor is broken in (12000 kilometers) so why did it not improve????? Is there anything that I can do to the engine that will make it more efficient?
You and me both..... :confused:
Kris

·
Registered
274 Posts
The comment that I got from my salesman was that the gas mileage thats advertised is done by the government in ideal road conditions. Mind you thats not from the guys in the service department! I do bring it up whenever I go there, but when I did talk to the service guys I only had 2000 kms on it. I'm going in tomorrow to get lights installed so I may get a little rude about it and then I'll get some answers. Still better mileage than my husbands truck!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Eco.

A little off topic but not really, do you have a working ECO light on your dash it may help a little. City driving and short trips are the worst for gas mileage, I'm hoping that explains my 25 26 mpg. BTW my ECO light does not work and does not show up on my trip odometer at all. I too am a bit of a lead foot. If I wanted to go slow I'd take the bus!:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Low rolling resistance tires
open windows to cool < 50mph.
use ac for > 50 mph,
coast down hill,
use brakes sparingly,
start off from stop at a gradual pace,
use "eco routes" on GPS navigation screens,
MAINTAIN TIRE PRESSURE,
air filters,
tune ups,
good engine oil(royal purple, amsoil) preferably 0w or 5W,
use smaller wheels(lower inertia).
drop the car using coil overs( lower height = better aerodynamics)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm surprised to see some of the low mileage. We drive ours in all city and many stop lights, etc and still get 28mpg. I drive it like I stole it too ;).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts