Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep in mind, this is my wife's car, she picked it.

Very sporty stylish looking car with lots of features for the price.
Excellent Paint
Body panel fitment is overall decent, not great. Gaps not even
Interior quality, fit and finish is very good, nice materials
Seats are very nice, firm and great bolsters if you are a 120 lb female. I am about 5 foot 9 and 189 lbs. My waist is a 34, my sport coat is 48/50. Not a big guy, not a fat guy. The seats are horrible for me.
Ride is decent, not good. Ride is rough and you feel every bump, ESPECIALLY if you are seated in the rear. I rode back there last night because I hate the front seats and was a bit surprised. I told my wife we will never take this car on a road trip that I am involved in. Room for back seat passengers is fabulous. Keep in mind, I am in NW PA and the roads are atrocious. I am comparing the ride to her 12 Quest and my 12 Altima SR as well as a 2020 Mazda 3 that we drove.
I am not a fan of the safety features (SHE HAD TO HAVE), I suppose they are good for terrible drivers, I find them annoying and expensive to repair.
Do not like the shut off at stops of the engine, wife said you can turn that off. (I would think that would really shorten the life of a starter motor)
Motor- While I am not a fan of 4 bangers to begin with, I will give my honest observations. Can not comment on the power, No need or desire to experiment especially with only a couple hundred miles on it. I will say that at Idle, it produces a whole lot of vibration. When she pulls in the garage, I can feel and hear the vibration. When she would come home in her Quest, with the 3.5 L V6 and 90K miles, I would not know she was home. Same with my Altima SR and 91 Toyota MR2 with a 4 banger. I do not find this to be a very refined motor at all. There is a whole lot of space under the hood which was a pleasant surprise making it very easy to work on when needed.
Road noise from tires is a lot more than I would like
Wind noise, not the best, not the worst I have ever had. (That title belongs to our 2004 Honda Oddy) Could note even carry on a conversation in that van,
It is nice that you get 2 years comp maintenance, but I do not like other people working on my cars (ESPECIALLY DEALERSHIP "MECHANICS")
The stereo sound is quite disappointing. I am sure this is some sort of upgrade on this system available from KIA.
Android and Apple are nice, sync process was much smoother than on our 8 year old Nissans. HomeLink would have been nice to have..
I added the Mud guards, really too small to be effective, should have skipped them.
Added Smartliners and they are absolutely fabulous and fit is perfect- HIGHLY RECOMMEND
Definitely a nice amount of space for your luggage in this segment.

I tried to talk my wife into the Mazda 3, I loved that car, but she had her heart set on the SOUL and did not want a sedan.
If this is half as reliable as either Nissan I will be happy. Neither one of them ever returned to the dealership after purchase for any reason.

Take my observations with a grain of salt....I am an old man who probably would have loved this car 30 years ago. Most if the things that annoyed me will not bother the average consumer, nor will they notice. That being said, this is a cool little car and I hope to be able to share experiences, repairs, and maint tips with all of you here for the next 10 years or so.

Oh, one more thing...I work with a guy who is about 350 lbs and his wife has a little older Soul....his seats are not like the new ones and he fits very comfortably

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
Hi Willy, thanks for the review. Definitely the Soul is not an off roader or "crappy" roader like you mentioned your PA roads are. I would advise people not to buy a torsion beam rear suspension vehicle if a "smoothie" ride is necessary. Add the short wheelbase in & it can be giddyup time on bad pavement.

I had the same reaction you did to the driver seat when I bought my Gen2 new. I honestly thought I'd made a big mistake. But the seat, which was killing my back after about 30 minutes, became "seasoned" after a few weeks and I very much have liked the seat, even after 4 hour drives since. I've heard this from other drivers.

The stereo may need some adjustments to the equalizer. My last 2 cars had what I thought were "cheap" sound until I messed with the settings. Then I was quite happy with them :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I messed with the radio adjustments..Maybe I will give it another try. I think the seats are really great.....Just not for me...If they were a few inches wider.....They would be awesome. I cant wear a jacket because it makes it worse....and much tighter.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
We owned our 2012 for about 7 years.
It was a reliable daily driver and a great all around car.
Bigger on the inside than the outside is how I would always describe it.
I didn't find the seats comfortable for any long driving and the suspension was harsh and the ride choppy when the going got rough.
In comparison our 2020 has made considerable progress.
The seats for my 5'11/165lb body are noticeably better as is the overall ride and handling.
The car is a tad quicker even though the H.P. ratings are lower in 2020 than in 2012.
This would be thanks to the atkinson engine and the smooth shifting cvt transmission.
While the 2012 was like and old friend the 2020 has not yet achieved such status.
I am constantly fumbling for things such as the cruise control buttons and the radio settings.
Perhaps it's too soon to compare 7 months of ownership to 7 years and expect that same level of comfort.
If it remains reliable, which I expect it to be then I would consider the purchase as mission accomplished in most aspects.
There were definitely things I like better in the 2012 version but that's just progress and evolution at work here, I suppose.
Any car at this price point will have concessions to be made.
I keep in mind what I paid vs what I got and find myself mostly pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Remember those little hand-held transistor radios from 1963? My Soul sounds like it has one implanted in the dash. Truly pathetic sound.
I DO remember those & the little earpiece for mono listening.

If you have set the equalizer & it still sounds pathetic, take it back to the dealer. They sound much better than transistor radios & you have a world class warranty from Kia.

Get er done!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Willy, thanks for the review. Definitely the Soul is not an off roader or "crappy" roader like you mentioned your PA roads are. I would advise people not to buy a torsion beam rear suspension vehicle if a "smoothie" ride is necessary. Add the short wheelbase in & it can be giddyup time on bad pavement.

I had the same reaction you did to the driver seat when I bought my Gen2 new. I honestly thought I'd made a big mistake. But the seat, which was killing my back after about 30 minutes, became "seasoned" after a few weeks and I very much have liked the seat, even after 4 hour drives since. I've heard this from other drivers.

The stereo may need some adjustments to the equalizer. My last 2 cars had what I thought were "cheap" sound until I messed with the settings. Then I was quite happy with them :)
I have a 2018 ! with every accessory known to man inc. Harmon Kardon. I do not consider "bass, mid and treble" controls an equalizer. Nor do I consider it even close premium sound. It was barely adequate on my 1972 Pinto . Biggest disappointment in the Soul.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts

Excellent Paint
Seats are very nice, firm and great bolsters if you are a 120 lb female. I am about 5 foot 9 and 189 lbs. My waist is a 34, my sport coat is 48/50. Not a big guy, not a fat guy. The seats are horrible for me.
Ride is decent, not good. Ride is rough and you feel every bump, ESPECIALLY if you are seated in the rear. I rode back there last night because I hate the front seats and was a bit surprised. I told my wife we will never take this car on a road trip that I am involved in. Room for back seat passengers is fabulous. Keep in mind, I am in NW PA and the roads are atrocious. I am comparing the ride to her 12 Quest and my 12 Altima SR as well as a 2020 Mazda 3 that we drove.
I am not a fan of the safety features (SHE HAD TO HAVE), I suppose they are good for terrible drivers, I find them annoying and expensive to repair.
Do not like the shut off at stops of the engine, wife said you can turn that off. (I would think that would really shorten the life of a starter motor)
Motor- While I am not a fan of 4 bangers to begin with, I will give my honest observations. Can not comment on the power, No need or desire to experiment especially with only a couple hundred miles on it. I will say that at Idle, it produces a whole lot of vibration. When she pulls in the garage, I can feel and hear the vibration. When she would come home in her Quest, with the 3.5 L V6 and 90K miles, I would not know she was home. Same with my Altima SR and 91 Toyota MR2 with a 4 banger. I do not find this to be a very refined motor at all. There is a whole lot of space under the hood which was a pleasant surprise making it very easy to work on when needed.
Wind noise, not the best, not the worst I have ever had. (That title belongs to our 2004 Honda Oddy) Could note even carry on a conversation in that van,
It is nice that you get 2 years comp maintenance, but I do not like other people working on my cars (ESPECIALLY DEALERSHIP "MECHANICS")
The stereo sound is quite disappointing. I am sure this is some sort of upgrade on this system available from KIA.
Android and Apple are nice, sync process was much smoother than on our 8 year old Nissans. HomeLink would have been nice to have..
I added the Mud guards, really too small to be effective, should have skipped them.
Added Smartliners and they are absolutely fabulous and fit is perfect- HIGHLY RECOMMEND

I tried to talk my wife into the Mazda 3, I loved that car, but she had her heart set on the SOUL and did not want a sedan.
If this is half as reliable as either Nissan I will be happy. Neither one of them ever returned to the dealership after purchase for any reason.

Take my observations with a grain of salt....I am an old man who probably would have loved this car 30 years ago. Most if the things that annoyed me will not bother the average consumer, nor will they notice. That being said, this is a cool little car and I hope to be able to share experiences, repairs, and maint tips with all of you here for the next 10 years or so.

Oh, one more thing...I work with a guy who is about 350 lbs and his wife has a little older Soul....his seats are not like the new ones and he fits very comfortably
This review just out on GT Turbo from Business Insider

I drove a $29,000 Kia Soul GT-Line — and although I warmed up to the crossover SUV, it was ultimately disappointing

·
Registered
4 Posts

Excellent Paint

No offense, but It’s funny that you think Nissan is reliable car. I will take it if you said Toyota or Honda. Please go find what is best car brand for early reliability and compare Kia and Nissan.
Also take a look at what the safety review of 2014 Nissan Quest was. IIHS or something else. It is the worst safety ever in the minivan. Even diesel car is quiet in these days. Perhaps it’s a bad pickup that your wife had unfortunately, as many people have had regardless of brands.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No offense, but It’s funny that you think Nissan is reliable car. I will take it if you said Toyota or Honda. Go find what is best car brand for early reliability and compare Kia and Nissan.
Also take a look at what the safety review of Nissan Quest was. NISHA or something else. It is the worst safety ever in the minivan. Even diesel car is quiet in these days. Perhaps it’s a bad pickup that your wife had unfortunately, as many people have had regardless of brands.
It has been hands down the most reliable brand I have ever owned, starting in 1989 with a 240SX (1st Model year), 2002 Altima SE, 2012 Altima SR, 2012 Quest SL, father 1999 Altima and then a 2012. All cars never had an issue that needed to return to a dealer service.
Most troublesome was a 2004 Honda Oddy - Total garbage.

The quest offset crash was bad, a new test after this gen was created ....when we bought it it was rated safe.

My MR2 has made several warranty trips during ownership......

Perhaps we have a bad draw on this car....maybe not...time will tell. If so, Kia will not be in my future, and a lot depends on how Kia stands behind their cars....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Pro or con, one consumer's experience doesn't say much about the brand, although if I owned 7 good Nissans in a row I'd be sold on them too, for sure. I had an Infiniti (glorified Nissan) that from day one was nonstop problems, which convinced me to never buy another one, even though it could have been a fluke. But the data shows that Nissans in general are not as reliable as Hondas or Toyotas. And I think Kias are somewhere above Nissans too, but the #1 most reliable cars are clearly Toyotas, even though we have a Camry that needed it's engine rebuilt at 45k miles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the Honda solely based on the reviews and ratings..........Shortly after purchase, the big transmission cover up broke. In CR, all the Red Dots turned to black dots. I never had a trans problem, but I had every other problem with that thing. Never know what you are going to get...... What Infinity did you have Checkers?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a '94 J30t... ugh. It was good looking though! Best car I ever owned was an '86 Honda Prelude. I love my Kia so far and it might end up bumping the Honda out of my top spot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had a 92 Prelude Si. Was a very good car......!
I have fancied the Q50 for a few years but do not want to get one because if I get a bad one, the closest dealer is over an hour in any direction... :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
It has been hands down the most reliable brand I have ever owned, starting in 1989 with a 240SX (1st Model year), 2002 Altima SE, 2012 Altima SR, 2012 Quest SL, father 1999 Altima and then a 2012. All cars never had an issue that needed to return to a dealer service.
Most troublesome was a 2004 Honda Oddy - Total garbage.

The quest offset crash was bad, a new test after this gen was created ....when we bought it it was rated safe.

My MR2 has made several warranty trips during ownership......

Perhaps we have a bad draw on this car....maybe not...time will tell. If so, Kia will not be in my future, and a lot depends on how Kia stands behind their cars....
I had an old Altima that bought as an used car at 2002. 50k miles. Had it for a year. Oil leak was horrible and had to bring oil can with me to fill the leaked oil regularly. While driving an interstate at 60mph, it lost power suddenly without any previous sign, no response of the acceleration pedal, slowing the car, and letting the car behind almost hit me, but I was fortunately able to manage to side off quickly to shoulder avoiding the collision with the car behind. By a hair. This is still very live in my memory.

Never have had looked at Nissan since then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had an old Altima that bought as an used car at 2002. 50k miles. Had it for a year. Oil leak was horrible and had to bring oil can with me to fill the leaked oil regularly. While driving an interstate at 60mph, it lost power suddenly without any previous sign, no response of the acceleration pedal, slowing the car, and letting the car behind almost hit me, but I was fortunately able to manage to side off quickly to shoulder avoiding the collision with the car behind. By a hair. This is still very live in my memory.

Bottom line is yes, this can be a bad draw as well. All depends on too much variability behind each of us, dealership, service, etc. Hope everyone to have good experience with their picks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Did you buy the 2.5? It was crap. 3.5 was the only way to go...... The 02 had to use the cheapest plastics I have ever seen in a car......and the skin was paper thin....I did like the fact that the Hood and trunk were aluminum

1 - 20 of 44 Posts