Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did it! I bought myself a Kia Soul, Red & Black, Diesel, 2014!

Well, we all did, obviously, at some point or another, or we wouldn't be here. But you should know, that in Germany the Kia Soul isn't well known. In the last 6 years I may have seen only 5 or 6 Kia Souls around here. Granted, I live in a more rural area, but even in big cities there are only a few of them, I'd guess.

I know that in the US the Kia Soul is popular and I totally understand that, because it's a great car. When I first saw it in 2008, I fell in love instantly and knew, that one day, I would own one myself. And now I do, well not yet, but it is only a matter of days now.

Sadly, with the Kia Soul being not very popular in Germany, there aren't many assesories available. I am loooking for floor mats and seat covers, but couldn't find anything for my Soul 2014 in Germany.

So, what should I tell you about myself:

First/current car: Kia Picanto
Next car: Kia Soul
Interests: reading, writing, horse riding,

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will answer.

2-8c4.jpg

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted my Kia soul in Black & Red or in Black & Brown, but that latter wasn't available in Germany. Sadly there is only a very limited color palett to choose from in Germany, Red & Black, Green, Black, Red and Yellow.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,089 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using the AutoGuide App.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
welcome to the forum. Yes the Soul is not as popular in Europe as in North America, I think because there is more direct competition over there than what we have on this side of the pond. Kia is well aware of that and hence one of the reasons for the major overhaul of the Soul, but they are slowly increasing their sales each year.
Unfortunately, due to the US's massive demand for the Soul (along with a limited production capacity), here in Canada we also do not get the volume we would like for the Soul.

In June for Europe they sold 820 Soul's (776 of the new version and 44 of the old), whereas here in Canada they sold 731 - but for the US 12,322.

Have you checked out the UK for accessories?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No, thanks for the suggestions. Maybe there will be some UK Online shops who deliver to Germany.

When I first considered buying the Soul, Kia had this huge advertisement 'First 500 people to buy the Kia Soul in Germany' get the Sound and Navi package for free - it was a fluke. Three weeks after they stared selling the Soul, which was on April 29th, the cancelled it. Never, in a millions years, did they sell 500 cars in three weeks in Germany. Never! The one I bought now has been with the car dealer since they started seeling Kia Souls in April. I am the first person, to buy one there.

And suddenly, one week later, they raised the price again, having added a design package for European Customers. Sadly one does not get to choose if you want it, they just add the designe package to every Soul delivered to Germany. So, in roughly a months, they raised the price from 27.000 € to nearly 30.000 €.

A hard pill to swallow that made me consider not buying it at all. But in the end, I did it, because it's my dream car and I got a very good deal.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Welcome Evi from a Brit in Canada with a German last name (Thoene) :biggrin-new:

Great looking cars the European spec Souls. You're going to love driving it. Rural Germany is very beautiful, I've visited the Moselle Valley, Dusseldorf, Cologne and Aachen...........but back in the 70's.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
the base Soul in Germany starts at 17,000 Euros.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
30K Euros! Holy crap! If they did that here, they would not sell any of them either. That is a lot of coin.
Yes, it is! And I was mad as hell, believe me.

The cheapest version starts around 17k Euro (but it basically lacks everything that screams 'fun'). I bought the show car they had on display and for test drives, which is a Diesel and has basically 'everything' a Kia Soul has to offer. New, it would have cost me 30k, but I paid 22k, because it's a show car and I sold them my old Kia Picanto.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Over here in North America we don't get the diesel engines in anything (almost) so that would add a couple of thousand dollars to the prices we're used to. I'm not sure if the soul sells in France, it would have to go head to head with the many French micro vans, but French prices on things seem to be a lot less costly than British prices. Congratulations on your excellent english, BTW.

In case any North American is wondering what the lady traded in, here's a Kia Picanto:

kia picanto (1).jpg

Though it's probably not the proper year.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats not my Kia Picanto, I don't like this modell, it looks like every other small car (like: Toyata Aygo, Citroen C2). I had the 2006 Kia Picanto.

knut3.jpg
knut1.jpg

(I added the chrome parts myself, they are not standard feature).

And thanks. My written English is probably better than my spoken English, because I don't get to talk to native speakers very often. I am not as fluent as I would like to be. Sometimes I have to stop conversing with somebody, because I can't remember the correct word or a phrase. I had English in school for 9 years, but wasn't very good at it, when I gratuated in 2001. What really helped me grasp the language, was reading English literature. Since 2001 I read mostly English fiction/books - that makes 13 years or in total 22 (9 + 13) years. I understand 99,99% of what I read or hear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cute car (said in the nicest possible way). The wife and I had a three cylinder Hyundai Getz diesel rental for a month of driving in France. Neat car, crazy good gas (oil?) mileage, but a bit rough and noisy. I believe the Getz is somewhat related to your ex Picanto?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Might be. At least they are really similar. In "small" cities like those we have here in Europe, small cars are the better option. And, as you said, they have a good gas milage.

Before buying the Picanto I testdrove quite a few small cars. This one was the least nosiest, had the cheapest price and the best package.

And it is still a very good car. In 8 years it did NOT have even one problem. I just exchanged the regular stuff and such , like breaks, ... I will greatly miss it, to be honest.

I hope my new Soul will be the same.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I used to teach young Ambulance Drivers how to drive those BIG Military Ambulances through those little German towns. I know them well!

Even worse was the Hospital Bus!!! I still love those little country towns though.

I've spent many an enjoyable Sunday afternoon, just driving out through the German countryside....narrow roads and small towns, just perfect for my BMW MotorCycle.
Then a stop at a little Pub for a Bier, Bratwurst und Brötchen.

As narrow as some of those roads are, a Kia Soul will take up the whole road. lol

Cheers!
:cool:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah... many people over here wonder (myself not included) why you 'North Americans' drive big such cars, but considering how 'large' the States are, how many miles you have to drive in certain rural regions to get from Point A to Point B, I do understand it.

But I'd guess that in bigger cities with heavy traffic, for example New York, there is a greater percentage of small cars, because it's easier to navigate with those. Am I right?

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
The Soul is an excellent city car, but it's also great on long distance highway journeys...........or autobahns :cool-new:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts