·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
621 Posts
Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had two Soul 1.6 six speeds. A 2015 which I totaled and a 2016 which I drive now. The 2015 did not burn a drop. My 2016 burned a lot of oil when it was new... about 2 quarts every 4-5k miles. But now I go about 8,000 miles between changes and usually have to add 1/2 to 1 qt. Always used very light wt synthetics with both. Seems to be getting better over time. Kind of like the owner.

Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just tried to log and I was BANNED. (I am duprejj). Why was I banned for this thread ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I also noticed one of my threads was deleted that linked some news articles about kia engine issues.

something seems fishy here!

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
7,974 Posts
I removed the ban duprejj, so you're good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This thread is intended to give some of you some more data to play around with with regards to the oil consumption issue that is common with the 1.6 and 2.0 Kia Engines. My Soul is a 2017 1.6 liter base model with a manual transmission. Around 30k I noticed loss of oil, about .5 to 1 quart every 1000 miles or so. I logged this data and kept track of how much oil I was using. Around 60k I noticed a sound that sounded like a piece of my exhaust was coming loose. It seemed to go away after the car warmed up. I eventually took my Kia to the dealer where they said a cylinder or bearing was bad and they replaced the entire short block, basically the bottom part of the engine. They replaced a ton of of other things once they tore the engine down. This was all done under warranty. I will scan and upload the mechanics notes on all parts replaced. I used 5w20 conventional for the first 15k to break the engine in and then switched to 5w20 synthetic after that. I did try 5w30 after I noticed oil consumption but it didn't seem to slow down or decrease consumption. Brands used were Castrol Magnatec, Mobil 1, SuperTech and Valvoline. Mostly Magnatec. Oil change intervals were right around 5k with the initial 5-6 changes around 3k. I did have one that went around 6k.

I see this as a problem with all the 1.6 liter engines and I don't think Kia will have rolling fixes to solve the inherent problem. I think this same issue will happen again with my rebuilt motor. I am using 5w30 GTX ultraclean synthetic blend in the motor now and it has approx 2k on this oil. I am looking for a thicker 5w30 synthetic to stick with from now on. I have seen that QS Full synthetic and Mobil1 5w30 seem to be on the thicker side. I have also considered a 10w30 but do not see the benefit as many of these have listed viscosities lower higher than the 5w30s at operating temperature. If any of you have any questions or comments for me please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2013 1.6. Unfortunately, mine was not under warranty anymore. I had taken it back several times and Kia could never find anything. I got pissed and called Kia Motors Corporate office and filed a complaint. They got with my dealer and I took my car in for the repairs. Not for free, it cost me almost $600.00. I like you, think Kia knows there is a problem but doesn't want to fix the problem. A master mechanic that I know told me that the 1.6 liter engines in the Soul has the type of injections that don't shoot the fuel far enough to clean the internal parts and junk builds up on them. That is what happened with mine. I had the repairs done and it stopped using oil and runs peppier. However, they told me to run injector cleaner in my gas every third tank so that's what I am doing. I doubt if I will get too many more miles out of my car. I'm still pissed that they couldn't find the problem before my warranty ran out.
D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here’s this on Oil consumption. I posted it elsewhere on this site but thought it might be helpful here too;

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
270 Posts
Here’s this on Oil consumption. I posted it elsewhere on this site but thought it might be helpful here too;
Two litres over 15,000 km strikes me as acceptable. Some of the oil consumption stories reported in this forum are not.

Enjoyable video, thank you. He sounds like an engineer or a IT nerd but he could work in international relations and/or strategic studies. He described 'blow back' to a T.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 1.6 also and have had no issuers as of yet.I have also used GDI engine specific engine oil. I have a coworker who had this consumption issue in a Hyundai and the techs description was similar to what the thread starter posted, Issues with buildup around the piston rings. I want to think that the GDI designed oils have some additive to help battle that issue. I also use top tier fuel and cleaner on every oil change

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
I have a 1.6 also and have had no issuers as of yet.I have also used GDI engine specific engine oil. I have a coworker who had this consumption issue in a Hyundai and the techs description was similar to what the thread starter posted, Issues with buildup around the piston rings. I want to think that the GDI designed oils have some additive to help battle that issue. I also use top tier fuel and cleaner on every oil change
In my mind I'm picturing "scrubbing bubbles."

Congrats on taking good care of your engine orange 🌟

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2013 1.6. Unfortunately, mine was not under warranty anymore. I had taken it back several times and Kia could never find anything. I got pissed and called Kia Motors Corporate office and filed a complaint. They got with my dealer and I took my car in for the repairs. Not for free, it cost me almost $600.00. I like you, think Kia knows there is a problem but doesn't want to fix the problem. A master mechanic that I know told me that the 1.6 liter engines in the Soul has the type of injections that don't shoot the fuel far enough to clean the internal parts and junk builds up on them. That is what happened with mine. I had the repairs done and it stopped using oil and runs peppier. However, they told me to run injector cleaner in my gas every third tank so that's what I am doing. I doubt if I will get too many more miles out of my car. I'm still pissed that they couldn't find the problem before my warranty ran out.
D
Not
I own a 2015 Kia Soul which is still under warranty. Car broke down while enroute. It was losing speed as I was trying to accelerate. It did pick up a little, enough to get me off a ramp then all dash lights came on and the car died. Had it towed to dealer. Waited six weeks only to be told it needs an engine and JMS extended warranty company wasn’t going to cover it due to the problem being excessive overheating. The vehicle never overheated the entire time I owned it, however, I did notice it seemed to burn oil! I’m at my wits end. I just paid the vehicle off in Jan and had an $800 service done in Feb (the recommended 80,000 service). At that time, I mentioned the oil problem and was advised to bring it back in 1,000 miles for an oil consumption test. That would’ve been at 80,724 miles. The mileage was 80,455 when the car was towed to the dealer. I drove 731 miles from the February service until the car broke down. The service dept said if the problem was contained in the head gasket they would’ve covered it. An inspector came out from the extended warranty and measured something or another and came up with excessive overheating as the result. Whatever happened to the 10 yr/100,000 mi warranty?! Let alone the extended warranty they have no problem taking your money for! During the six weeks of waiting, I had to give authorization for the service dept to tear down the engine. Which, of course, I did to get to the root of the problem. I really thought for sure it was no fault of mine. Like I said, I never had overheating issues. So now I have a bill for $638 for tearing it down and a car that is not fixed and doesn’t run. A salesman at same dealer offered to cash me out $1000 for the car, minus the fees owed. I feel taken advantage of and any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I forgot to mention...when I asked the service tech for a copy of the claim and the denial of said claim, I was told it was verbal and there was no paper trail. Go figure, never heard of a business not have documentation! TIA for any recommendations and/or input.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Without a written denial by both parties, I would have contacted a law office and pursued this further.
That's me.
I own a 2015 Kia Soul which is still under warranty. Car broke down while enroute. It was losing speed as I was trying to accelerate. It did pick up a little, enough to get me off a ramp then all dash lights came on and the car died. Had it towed to dealer. Waited six weeks only to be told it needs an engine and JMS extended warranty company wasn’t going to cover it due to the problem being excessive overheating. The vehicle never overheated the entire time I owned it, however, I did notice it seemed to burn oil! I’m at my wits end. I just paid the vehicle off in Jan and had an $800 service done in Feb (the recommended 80,000 service). At that time, I mentioned the oil problem and was advised to bring it back in 1,000 miles for an oil consumption test. That would’ve been at 80,724 miles. The mileage was 80,455 when the car was towed to the dealer. I drove 731 miles from the February service until the car broke down. The service dept said if the problem was contained in the head gasket they would’ve covered it. An inspector came out from the extended warranty and measured something or another and came up with excessive overheating as the result. Whatever happened to the 10 yr/100,000 mi warranty?! Let alone the extended warranty they have no problem taking your money for! During the six weeks of waiting, I had to give authorization for the service dept to tear down the engine. Which, of course, I did to get to the root of the problem. I really thought for sure it was no fault of mine. Like I said, I never had overheating issues. So now I have a bill for $638 for tearing it down and a car that is not fixed and doesn’t run. A salesman at same dealer offered to cash me out $1000 for the car, minus the fees owed. I feel taken advantage of and any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I forgot to mention...when I asked the service tech for a copy of the claim and the denial of said claim, I was told it was verbal and there was no paper trail. Go figure, never heard of a business not have documentation! TIA for any recommendations and/or input.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
270 Posts
@NancyG: You could start by going the political route. That would be less expensive than immediately contacting a lawyer.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,902 Posts
@NancyG: You could start by going the political route. That would be less expensive than immediately contacting a lawyer.
I agree. If you can't impress them with the facts, baffle them with bullshite. It may be more on their level of understanding anyways.

Reactions: MonsterSoul
21 - 38 of 38 Posts