Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is intended to give some of you some more data to play around with with regards to the oil consumption issue that is common with the 1.6 and 2.0 Kia Engines. My Soul is a 2017 1.6 liter base model with a manual transmission. Around 30k I noticed loss of oil, about .5 to 1 quart every 1000 miles or so. I logged this data and kept track of how much oil I was using. Around 60k I noticed a sound that sounded like a piece of my exhaust was coming loose. It seemed to go away after the car warmed up. I eventually took my Kia to the dealer where they said a cylinder or bearing was bad and they replaced the entire short block, basically the bottom part of the engine. They replaced a ton of of other things once they tore the engine down. This was all done under warranty. I will scan and upload the mechanics notes on all parts replaced. I used 5w20 conventional for the first 15k to break the engine in and then switched to 5w20 synthetic after that. I did try 5w30 after I noticed oil consumption but it didn't seem to slow down or decrease consumption. Brands used were Castrol Magnatec, Mobil 1, SuperTech and Valvoline. Mostly Magnatec. Oil change intervals were right around 5k with the initial 5-6 changes around 3k. I did have one that went around 6k.

I see this as a problem with all the 1.6 liter engines and I don't think Kia will have rolling fixes to solve the inherent problem. I think this same issue will happen again with my rebuilt motor. I am using 5w30 GTX ultraclean synthetic blend in the motor now and it has approx 2k on this oil. I am looking for a thicker 5w30 synthetic to stick with from now on. I have seen that QS Full synthetic and Mobil1 5w30 seem to be on the thicker side. I have also considered a 10w30 but do not see the benefit as many of these have listed viscosities lower higher than the 5w30s at operating temperature. If any of you have any questions or comments for me please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,895 Posts
Would you consider using one of the new for "Modern Engines" SN+ oils designed specifically for GDI engines? The pricing on them isn't bad either.

I'm not sure I've seen evidence here that it's a problem for "all 1.6 ltr" GDI Soul engines. There are hundreds of thousands of them in service. I'm thinking if they all are crap this forum would have complaints a mile long.

Not minimizing your point that there has been a problem with X number of them. I just wouldn't conflate it as inevitable for the entire 1.6 fleet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see attached for the dealer paperwork.

Given the history of Kia engines I would say its a possibility that these engines have a design flaw.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of those oils listed are SN-plus rated. Even Supertech conventional is SN-Plus. I did not use an inferior oil in this engine. It just went bad.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
617 Posts

Given the history of Kia engines I would say its a possibility that these engines have a design flaw.
Interesting.
Oil Control Valves & Oil Pump replaced, due to intermittent operation.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
266 Posts
..... Around 30k I noticed loss of oil, about .5 to 1 quart every 1000 miles or so. I logged this data and kept track of how much oil I was using. ..... I used 5w20 conventional for the first 15k to break the engine in and then switched to 5w20 synthetic after that. I did try 5w30 after I noticed oil consumption but it didn't seem to slow down or decrease consumption. ......
Hey Duprejj, This is a massive bummer though at least the work got done under warranty. Thank you for sharing. Your post is an interesting data point.

There are some competent experienced posters on the board that enthusiastically recommend using 5W30 over 5W20. My personal take is that one should aim to solve the underlying problems rather than patch over it with heavier or specialty motor oils.

Questions:

Mostly highway or city driven?

Flat country or hills and mountains? My suspicion is that hills and mountains help. Some believe that occasional 'Italian tune-ups' help keep the engine in shape; I fall into that camp.

Did you use 'treatments' for the fuel injectors and/or intake valves, etc.?

If not, from what you have read and researched would you consider using Chevron Techron concentrated (or similar) and CRC Intake Valve cleaner (or similar) going forward?

Have you ever owned another vehicle with a GDI engine? GDI = gasoline direct injection

If so, what was your experience with that GDI engine?

·
Registered
186 Posts
If this is the normal, we have a problem or worseo_O GDI or not? These are not aircraft or racing engines! Why bother trying to tweak the situation anyway? :cry:

"....about .5 to 1 quart every 1000 miles or so"

·
Registered
494 Posts
Like @GeoSoul mentioned, I don't think it is a problem with all 1.6 engines. Yes, it is a bummer that yours was one of the bad ones, but hopefully the rebuilt one will last longer.

Our 2013 Soul Base 1.6 Automatic ran 95K flawless miles, and only a couple of times did I need to add just a few ounces between the 5K mile oil changes. It was still running strong when we traded for our 2020 LX. And, as @westslope mentioned, the "Italian Tune Ups" we regularly gave it here in the mountains of West Virginia may have helped. We never abused it, but we didn't baby it, either. Haha! BTW - I normally used name brand synthetic 5W-20 oil and Kia Filters.

Good luck with the new engine.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts

Clearly "some" do have a problem. I'm not sure, unless you have some type of access to internal Kia docs, exactly what the problem is. By that I mean a vendor, parts manufacturer, quality of materials etc?? Is it a primary, secondary or tertiary failure? Or some combination thereof? I wish we had access to that information.

When you say the History of Kia engines, what exactly does that mean? Kia has built itself up to be a large, international brand that rates highly in reliability (not a fanboy comment). It's actually a pretty impressive story. Some of our members have been able to tour their plants. I'm simply trying to stick with "facts" and not inflammatory comments about the "history of their engines." Most modern reviews do not say Kia has a history of bad engines.

I have friends who have just bought a new Sorento & getting a new Tulluride. Both have GDI engines. Both cited reliability and Kia quality in making their decisions (no input from me......I felt left out).

When we were contributing to some of the "blown engine" threads on the Soul, the percentage of engines failed is infinitesimal (in the 1/1000 of a percent) to the number sold.

I'm sorry it happened to you, and trust me, if it happens to me, I'll be PO'd too. But you have to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water. There's just too many of these engines providing good reliable service on the roadways.

BTW, I wasn't suggesting you used inferior motor oil? Where did that come from? I was asking if you would consider switching to the full synthetic. I myself have only used dino oil, provided in dealer oil changes so far. I'm switching now to SN+, so you are much farther ahead of the curve than my dense self.

Reactions: Kerig3

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
Most 2011-2015 Kia/Hyundai engines were recalled, so probably THAT history.
You mean for the cat temp sensor? Or knock sensor? I can't recall an "engine" recall on the Soul Xx. We're they all replaced?

For the sake of this discussion I was responding to his 1.6 ltr Gen 2 engine comments.

The Soul was not included in the big "engine" recall/replacement or class action settlement this past year, to the dismay of many of us. There is still ongoing litigation to get it added. I can't help but wonder if the 2 Soul sensor recalls, cat temp & knock, were enough to mitigate damages.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I changed to name brand synthetic 5w30 at 2.2K. My first free oil change from the dealer was at 2k. When I found out they used a nameless, thin, conventional-blend 5w20 oil for that change, I changed it within 225 miles.

But I kept the new dealer OEM oil filter on. So something was salvaged from that free oil change.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
ADDITIONAL MOTOR OIL RESOURCES from Valvoline
There are quite a few myths pertaining to motor oil, recycled oils and synthetic oils. In order to help set things straight, we’ve addressed and debunked a lot of the common Motor Oil Myths below.

GENERAL MOTOR OIL MYTHS

MYTH: Changing your vehicle's motor oil yourself or using a certain brand voids your manufacturer's warranty.

Changing your vehicle's motor oil yourself or using a different brand of oil from your manufacturer's factory fill will not void the warranty. As long as the motor oil being used meets the manufacturer's standards required for the vehicle (e.g., viscosity grade, type), as provided in the owner’s manual the warranty cannot be considered void.

MYTH: All oil additives are the same.
Not true. Some additives contain different formulations to affect certain parts of the engine differently than other additives.

MYTH: All brands of motor oil basically are the same.
That’s false. Base oils, additives, etc., can be different from one brand to the next.

MYTH: Switching motor oil brands is harmful to my engine.
No. Switching brands is not harmful to your engine as long as you choose an oil marked with the API donut of the same level, e.g., API SN. Motor oil manufacturers must meet minimum industry standards for performance and compatibility of the API mark. However, make sure you follow the recommendations provided in your owner's manual for viscosity and API category. You may give up enhanced performance if you switch from synthetic or high mileage to conventional oil.

MYTH: When motor oil becomes dark, that means it's time to change it.
This is not true. You cannot determine the life of motor oil by looking at its appearance since it may change color for several reasons. To ensure the best quality product, the best oil change tip is to always follow your vehicle’s owner's manual guidelines for oil change intervals.

MYTH: You don’t have to change your oil filter every time you change your oil.
Valvoline recommends changing your oil filter each and every time you change your oil. This eliminates any risk of contaminants trapped by the oil filter, such as dirt, from re-entering the oil. Consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual for your manufacturer’s recommendation.

MYTH: Bulk oil is a different (lower) quality than bottled motor oil.
Valvoline’s bulk oil is the exact same oil that is bottled and sold at retail locations.

MYTH: Oil never wears out – it only gets dirty.
False. Oil additives weaken as the engine oil is used.

MYTH: Thicker oil is better.
Thicker motor oil can be better for older engines in which engine parts have worn down over the years. However, it is recommended to always stick with the viscosity weight recommended by the manufacturer of the particular engine. The oil “thickness” (viscosity-temperature profile) is selected by the manufacturer to protect moving parts with specific design and surface roughness from excessive contact.

MYTH: The “w” stands for weight.
Actually, the “w” stands for winter, and the numbers that appear refer to the oil’s viscosity at both low and high temperatures.

MYTH: Long driving = hard driving
This is not always the case. Hard driving pertains to high and/or consistent changes of RPMs (stop-and-go driving), pulling or towing. It can also be dependent upon the geographic area where you drive.

MYTH: You cannot use motor oil in a car with manual transmission.
This depends. It’s important to follow your owner’s manual for requirements and correct fluids to use in your manual transmission.

·
Registered
186 Posts
:) MYTH: When motor oil becomes dark, that means it's time to change it.
Maybe, when it's coal black it means something? Or, when it smells different than the new oil? :unsure:
Nice post!(y)

·
Registered
757 Posts
:) MYTH: When motor oil becomes dark, that means it's time to change it.
Maybe, when it's coal black it means something? Or, when it smells different than the new oil? :unsure:
Nice post!(y)
I will continue to judge based upon time-mileage-color.

Posted a year ago -

If you want to maximize the life of your engine, consider these suggestions:

1. Use 5W30 instead of 5W20 oil

2. Use synthetic oil

3. Use TopTier fuel

4. Pull and "read" spark plugs yearly

5. Check PCV for build-up and replace by ~50K miles

6. Check oil level minimum once a month

7. Change oil at intervals not to exceed 5K miles

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
A little more Oil News on the new GF-6 standards designed for Modern GDI & Turbo Charged Engines:

Automakers are the driving force behind ILSAC GF-6, a new motor oil specification that will provide improved fuel economy and protection for modern day engines compared to prior specifications. Newer, smaller Turbocharged Direct Gasoline Injection (TDGI) engines require increased protection against Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear. Ahead of the specification launching in 2020, Pennzoil has products that are expected to meet the new specification, and wants to answer your questions about ILSAC GF-6.

GF-6 will provide low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI) and timing chain wear protection while improving piston cleanliness and fuel economy.

What you need to know about ILSAC GF-6

Everything You Need to Know About GF-6 and API SP Motor Oil Standards.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
617 Posts
Still waiting,

When will Chevron’s ILSAC GF-6 / API SP passenger car motor oil products be available?
Chevron will start introducing ILSAC GF-6 / API SP qualified products on June 1, 2020 with our existing Havoline® ProDS® Full Synthetic Motor Oils (SAE 0W-16, 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30) in large package styles. Only the current Havoline ProDS Full Synthetic formulations are robust enough to meet the more stringent ILSAC GF-6 / API SP performance testing requirements without modification.

By Q4 2020 Chevron will launch the full reformulated line of Havoline and Supreme ILSAC GF-6 / API SP motor oils, in all package styles.

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
Still waiting,

When will Chevron’s ILSAC GF-6 / API SP passenger car motor oil products be available?
Chevron will start introducing ILSAC GF-6 / API SP qualified products on June 1, 2020 with our existing Havoline® ProDS® Full Synthetic Motor Oils (SAE 0W-16, 0W-20, 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30) in large package styles. Only the current Havoline ProDS Full Synthetic formulations are robust enough to meet the more stringent ILSAC GF-6 / API SP performance testing requirements without modification.

By Q4 2020 Chevron will launch the full reformulated line of Havoline and Supreme ILSAC GF-6 / API SP motor oils, in all package styles.
I know what I'm getting you for Christmas this year eGak!

Reactions: eGAK009
1 - 20 of 38 Posts