Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Calling on the help of fellow MT owners, can you please perform this simple test and report back?

Turn all internal noise-makers off - A/C, radio, etc, and perform the following test on a quiet street. For most of you, this test can easily be done as you pull out of your driveway in the morning.

Take off as usual in first gear, depress the clutch as if ready to shift to second - but then do not shift, leave the car in first gear and just coast.

See if you hear a very noticeable turbine-like whine noise (which follows the speed of your car as you decelerate coasting).

Please report back your findings. I've got a potentially serious mess on my hands that I am all but certain just developed - but with your help can verify this.

Many thanks,

Sonic

**** UPDATE ****

I have just created an audio test clip. I got the car moving in first gear then depressed the clutch and left it depressed (coasting) as I moved through the gears:

https://soundcloud.com/sonicexplorer/soulnoise1-mp3

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yep!! It's there! So What!!
I really suggest you return the call to your village, they really do need you back!:drool

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sonic, It may just be the whine from the gearing in the trans as the "wrap up" is counter the the gear cut due to forward momentum with no power applied. The noise you describe is common in a lot of manual transmissions and should be of no concern but for sake of sanity you may want to have a trans person look at it. I've checked for TSB's & found none. If during the normal forward shifting there is no unusual noises & given no trans leaks I don't think it sounds like a problem. Verify that though with a competent trans person.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Help guys.....anybody had a chance to check this yet?

FYI, it is indeed starting to look like there may be a problem, likely tranny. Doesn't seem this noise being so prominent can possibly be normal. After sending a recording to KIA and some techs, they are asking as part of the diligence if I might be able to verify with another Sould, or have other Soul owners verify. So please any help is greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
664 Posts
I haven't had any unusual sounds or vibrations emanating from my +M/T (+Sport:)) I do pay attention to the way it sounds and feels as one should with any mechanical device. 13,000 miles and no problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't know if this helps considering I'm in a '14 but for the sake of assisting, I did this. I did not hear any sort of whine after I pressed the clutch in and coasted.

Slightly unrelated but in my old car (08 Accent - M/T) I had a similar noise when I would press the clutch in and coast. Never knew EXACTLY what was causing it but it disappeared after the timing belt, water pump, and drive belts were replaced.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't know if this helps considering I'm in a '14 but for the sake of assisting, I did this. I did not hear any sort of whine after I pressed the clutch in and coasted.
Yeah I"m honestly not sure if a 14' is a good test or not but thanks for checking, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
664 Posts
I did the test you requested. There was a slight sound as you described it but very faint and almost unnoticeable. I did it again to be sure and was on a downhill the second time. I heard the sound you described and it got louder as I picked up speed. I would describe it as a high RPM spinning sound, kind of like those muffin fans that cool a computer.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I did the test you requested. There was a slight sound as you described it but very faint and almost unnoticeable. I did it again to be sure and was on a downhill the second time. I heard the sound you described and it got louder as I picked up speed. I would describe it as a high RPM spinning sound, kind of like those muffin fans that cool a computer.
Neil, thank you for this. And again thanks to others thus far who have taken a moment to test. Please, any more tests from forum members are encouraged, I need as much insight into this as possible.

I wish there was a way to post here on the forum a sound clip I made so that everybody can hear exactly what the noise sounds like, how loud it is, and how I am reproducing it so there is some reference point. I'm guessing there is either a surface imperfection in the first gear itself or a bad first gear bearing (if one exists). This has probably been there from the beginning to some extent and I didn't notice it until it got louder since I almost never coast in first gear, but the noise has now become predominant.

At the moment I'm trapped in a loop between KIA and the dealer trying to get some questions answered and not sure where this is all headed yet...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I wish there was a way to post here on the forum a sound clip I made so that everybody can hear exactly what the noise sounds like, how loud it is, and how I am reproducing it so there is some reference point.
Give this a shot if it's just a sound clip that you would like to share: https://soundcloud.com/

Otherwise, Youtube if it's a video. You can also just use Youtube for a sound clip as well I think.

I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok guys, I took dmwagner's advice and posted the clip on SoundCloud. Please check it out. The noise is louder in person but you'll get the idea....

For the test clip, I got the car moving in first gear then depressed the clutch and left it depressed (coasting) as I moved through the gears.

https://soundcloud.com/sonicexplorer/soulnoise1-mp3

Please, if any more forum members can run this test discussed at the beginning of this post and report back I would appreciate it tremendously...

Sonic

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That sounds similar to mine when I did the test you requested.
I figured as much, but it is yours any where near that loud?? The sound itself I suspect is 1st gear or 1st gear bearing noise, and not necessarily uncommon in itself, but it is now about 20 times louder in my Soul than I believe should be normal, at least over anything I've ever heard before in over 30 years of driving manual transmissions. This is why I'm reaching out for help from forum members to do some comparison testing...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Sounds to me just like the synchro for first gear. I have heard that often in my manual days.
I thought synrcho's didn't make noise. ??

Yes, as I said, the sound itself isn't necessarily abnormal, but I suspect the volume of it is though. It is even louder in person than on that clip, and you can appreciate the huge difference between 1st and the other forward gears in the clip which are nearly silent. By the way, I did also test picking up speed in other gears and coasting, but even at higher speeds the noise remains isolated to just 1st gear. So I don't see any obvious common denominator, the issue seems isolated to 1st gear. Well...other than maybe reverse. I'm also getting a predominant gear sound in reverse now which I don't recall being as loud. I wish I had some clear diagrams of the internals of the tranny so I could see what the gears and dependencies are. Thus far I've only found a pay-for download and am not even sure it is legitimate.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with Shaggy....your hearing the synchro's. From what I remember of my last new manual transmission the noise was just as loud and quietened as the tranny was used. Your worrying to much over nothing........just drive it as you have a great warranty. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts