Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the first day that I went to a dealership. I was looking at two EXs that the dealer had and they were marking them up $4k. Has anyone purchased at or below MSRP on a 2023? I'm not in a hurry for a vehicle so I told the guy I can wait it out.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Today was the first day that I went to a dealership. I was looking at two EXs that the dealer had and they were marking them up $4k. Has anyone purchased at or below MSRP on a 2023? I'm not in a hurry for a vehicle so I told the guy I can wait it out.
There’s been posts here and other forums about some dealers selling at MSRP. Do a wider search outside of your normal local area and buy from a dealer that is not ripping people off with these ridiculous markups. Also watch out for useless dealer add-ons that some dealers are charging instead of the market adjustment. Don’t buy from these scumbag dealers.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,870 Posts
It might be a long wait. Cars, like almost everything else on the planet are in short supply.

As long as someone else will pay those prices they don't need our business. I never thought a gallon of gas & milk would be neck & neck either!

Reactions: rajesh2708

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It might be a long wait. Cars, like almost everything else on the planet are in short supply.

As long as someone else will pay those prices they don't need our business. I never thought a gallon of gas & milk would be neck & neck either!
I wish my car ran on milk. Milk is still under $3 at Walmart. (Gas, 89 octane that I put in my little Jewel during the summer because the engine sounds like it’s full of marbles on regular unleaded, is now about $4.18 at my favorite Irving station, and regular is finally under $4)

But I don’t think there’s enough cows to milk for the millions of gallons of fuel we go through a day, the demand would be more than the supply, there’s only so much milk a poor cow can give, and the prices would skyrocket.

Reactions: SinCity

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
I wish my car ran on milk. Milk is still under $3 at Walmart. (Gas, 89 octane that I put in my little Jewel during the summer because the engine sounds like it’s full of marbles on regular unleaded, is now about $4.18 at my favorite Irving station, and regular is finally under $4)

But I don’t think there’s enough cows to milk for the millions of gallons of fuel we go through a day, the demand would be more than the supply, there’s only so much milk a poor cow can give, and the prices would skyrocket.
I'm jealous, unleaded regular is $5.19 here.

What's going on with that marbles sound from your little Jewel? Is it like a pinging noise?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I'm jealous, unleaded regular is $5.19 here.

What's going on with that marbles sound from your little Jewel? Is it like a pinging noise?
Yeah pinging (spark knock). The 2011 Beta pings a lot in the summer with 87 octane too (and so did my Elantra). Quiet as a mouse with 89. Not sure why it is, maybe something to do with the hot temperatures or the summer blend of fuel up here. In the winter they’re perfectly fine on 87. The computer can only do so much trying to correct it.

edit— it may be all in my head but over the past year it seems like the quality of regular unleaded has gone down. The spark knock seems a little more pronounced this summer than in the past. Not sure what is going on but it’s not just Irving fuel. Sunoco, Mobil and Shell and the cheap corner store 87 all have the same results this summer.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
508 Posts
What brand of fuel?

We only buy Shell and it's priced the same as other brands within the same couple miles or-so.
I run regular in the Kia 2.0. and mid-grade 89 in the Hyundai 2.4. Never any ping, but the Hyundai re-acceleration after turns, is better / smoother / more instant, on the 89.

Price-gouging on new vehicles here is everywhere. Over here, they hide the new vehicles on 2nd / 3rd party rented lots that used to house places like restaurants, bars....etc. All the new vehicle dealership-fronts now only show used vehicles and all the local newspaper ads now endorse either new vehicle leases or great prices on low mileage used vehicles.

Their profits per vehicle have probably tripled using this method of hide & seek and pre-orders from factories.

• Wow
Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
2022 LX with Tech Package
112 Posts
which state you are based out of? I know one in LA. There was one more post where people had mentioned more dealers. If you want I can try to dig that information for you.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Dealers have always made more profit selling used vs new. When you pay for a used vehicle, that's instant profit as soon as they receive the payment from the lender vs waiting for manufacturers to pay them for advertising, hold back etc. I've had new dealers tell me, we're only making 100.00 profit if we sell for what you're offering. Or if we take what you're offering we'll lose money. B.S. :D

·
Registered
2,374 Posts

Boy, would that be a pain in the ass, having to schlep over to the dairy aisle at Walmart with 5 shopping carts just to get enough milk to fill your gas tank! Count me as one who's glad it's gasoline and in the ground in a tank :D . Hell, I'd have to have a little U-haul to fill up my truck!

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Recently, I took a test drive in a really nice 2023 Soul LX, and the sticker price was $33k!!!
I would have liked to drive it home....because it was really a nice car. But the price was just all wrong!

But, if I should win the lottery, I'd have that car, or one like it, in a heartbeat. And, I'd pay off my car and give it to a friend in need.

The dealers are really sockin' it to us on the prices, these days.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Recently, I took a test drive in a really nice 2023 Soul LX, and the sticker price was $33k!!!
I would have liked to drive it home....because it was really a nice car. But the price was just all wrong!

But, if I should win the lottery, I'd have that car, or one like it, in a heartbeat. And, I'd pay off my car and give it to a friend in need.

The dealers are really sockin' it to us on the prices, these days.

:cool:
Why? You won't be needing a car for too much longer! :p

·
Registered
508 Posts
Why? You won't be needing a car for too much longer! :p
We need a Poll here - to decide who survives longer ..... the Hamster or the Hamster Master.

So who lasts longer?

A) Hamster?
B) Hamster Master?
C) Both enter "Out Of Commission" on the same day?
D) Hamster Stolen and never recovered?.... with the Hamster Master sound asleep in the back seat and finally awakes three states away inside a rusted Toyota...lol

We many never see new gas engine vehicle sales below MSRP again.
The best deals (below MSRP) will switch to Plug-In's via rebates and Government Buyer Incentives (cash back).
China is about to invade America with $cheap$ vehicles..... mostly plug-in's. The sad part is that the Chinese plug-in technology is significantly ahead of America's.

• Haha
Reactions: jdmartin

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
We need a Poll here - to decide who survives longer ..... the Hamster or the Hamster Master.

So who lasts longer?

A) Hamster?
B) Hamster Master?
C) Both enter "Out Of Commission" on the same day?
D) Hamster Stolen and never recovered?.... with the Hamster Master sound asleep in the back seat and finally awakes three states away inside a rusted Toyota...lol

We many never see new gas engine vehicle sales below MSRP again.
The best deals (below MSRP) will switch to Plug-In's via rebates and Government Buyer Incentives (cash back).
China is about to invade America with $cheap$ vehicles..... mostly plug-in's. The sad part is that the Chinese plug-in technology is significantly ahead of America's.
It feels like the new $7,500 EV tax credit for consumers has already been "consumed" by the automakers:

GM and Ford had raised the prices of certain electric models by between $6,000 and $8,500, roughly matching the $7,500 tax credit introduced under the inflation bill.

"The pricing update is completely unrelated to the Inflation Reduction Act and the announcement was made well before that legislation was introduced," GM spokesperson Matt Ybarra told FOX Business.

• Haha
Reactions: rhysoul

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Why would a dealer sell any car for msrp when they can get almost double that, on the street?
It's called, "whatever the market will bear". That's always been the Car Business.

I had to pay $33k for a 2 yr old Soul, with 7580 miles on it, on Christmas Eve....where was Santa?

Now they have a new 2023 Soul LX, minimal mileage * selling for $33k+ whatever else the dealer can hang on it.
* I took it for a test drive, about two miles, but just couldn't afford it. I really liked it too!

I'll bet that car will wind up costing $35k before it gets out the door.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If someone is stupid enough to pay $13k more than a car is worth (the MSRP of a Soul LX is under $20k), then I agree with hammerhead, you need a mental evaluation. This isn’t “whatever the market will bear”, this is price gouging. And it should be illegal.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts