Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to run up to Ann Arbore today. Going up 23, traffic typically runs 75-85. Fortunately, I didn't see any crazies doing their thang.

When I hit the highway, my MPG usually declines once I pass the 60-65 threshold. Always, all three Souls. Today I think I started at about 29 and the computer slowly but steadily ticked up until I was at 31.4 in AA. It declined a bit in local traffic but when I got off the interstate again it was at 31.2.

I'm just about to turn 12,000 miles. I used synthetic oil last change, Pennzoil Platinum 5-20. I also dumped 16 oz. of Techron fuel injector cleaner. I had 40 miles on a fresh tank of Costco's finest 87 proof juice.

That's all I know about that.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
That sounds like the perfect triple c0cktail to make your Soul sing Neanderthal. Good work.

I'd be curious what the old fashioned MPG (miles ÷ gallons) on your next fillup is.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you know, I live in Michigan. If you are only going 60-65 on the freeway, you'll get passed like you are standing still.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Yeah I know. What I meant was I can watch the MPG indicator start to drop once I pass that threshold. I was cruising in the mid-70s, it wasn't bad, traffic wasn't bad and the loonies were all somewhere else today.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That sounds like the perfect triple c0cktail to make your Soul sing Neanderthal. Good work.

I'd be curious what the old fashioned MPG (miles ÷ gallons) on your next fillup is.
Ask and it shall be granted. For the first time in memory, if not maybe ever in the history of the world, the meter exactly matched the mpg by math: 30.8 which is one of my better tanks.
Last time I hit 30 MPG was October 6,2018. And that was on a tank of zero-corn-liquor.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If memory serves, corn liquor has about 10% less energy than gas so a gas mixture with 10% ethanol would have have 1% less energy compared to straight gas.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
That's all true. The interesting points of this are:

1. It was 10% ETOH gas.
2. The anomaly was that highway MPG improved.
3. The only difference is the FI cleaner that was added.

Non-corn-likker gas has shown inconsistent results, and has never resulted in a highway MPG improvement.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ask and it shall be granted. For the first time in memory, if not maybe ever in the history of the world, the meter exactly matched the mpg by math: 30.8 which is one of my better tanks.
Last time I hit 30 MPG was October 6,2018. And that was on a tank of zero-corn-liquor.
Thanks Neanderthal. That is great the computer matches the old calculator method.

My computer is usually about 2 mpgs higher than reality, but maybe that's because I haven't done a longer highway run recently.

Getting 30.8, doesn't that get you to about a 500 mile cruising range on a tank? That's damn impressive for a Soul.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Neanderthal. That is great the computer matches the old calculator method.

My computer is usually about 2 mpgs higher than reality, but maybe that's because I haven't done a longer highway run recently.

Getting 30.8, doesn't that get you to about a 500 mile cruising range on a tank? That's damn impressive for a Soul.
My computer is typically 1-2 MPG optimistic too. That's pretty much what i hear around here too. That's why being spot-on accurate is so notable.

No, it would take a miracle or a stick shift to get a 500 mile range. Even taking the 14.2 gallon tank down to .2, 14 x 31 = is about 434 miles. So 400 is theoretically achievable.

The "low fuel" light also goes on when there are still three or four gallons or so remaining IIRC.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Update, I filled yesterday and everything was back to normal, i.e. way off. Computer showed 31.1 and real MPG miles/gallons=27.86.

I did NOT add the Chevron FI cleaner to this last tank. I did have it in the previous two tanks. While I suspect that's just a coincidental blip, better MPG on those two tanks, still, this is curioser and curioser.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
TruckinThumper
Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners
We’re the ultimate Kia Soul community dedicated to Soul owners and fans!
Full Forum Listing