Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my Soul on December 27th and so far I love it ! I am new to this site and this was my first time buying a brand new car. My one and only question/complaint is about the mpg. I am a very cautious driver and I usually drive no more than 5 mph greater than the speed limit. Since the day I got my soul I only drove 163 miles and I only have a quarter tank left. I calculated it and I'm only getting about 18 mpg which is a lot different from what I am supposed to get. Is this something that should change as the car gets "broken in" or is this something I should be concerned with and address to the dealership ? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
give it time you have even had your first fill-up, and don't use a gas gauge to judge mileage that can be a long way off. Use manual calculation based on fuel used divided by the miles travelled. How did you calculate it to arrive at 18 mpg?
Don't be obsessed about mileage till you get some miles on the vehicle.

·
Registered
231 Posts
@31.8mpg in a 2010 2.0 Auto I am well above the advertised mileage. And I have 27K miles on it. Anytime someone claims to be a very cautious driver that only breaks the law by 5 mph, I snicker and ask myself who the think they are kidding.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Did you fill the tank or did the dealer? And conwelpic is right that relying on your gas gauge by eye or the "Brainiac" computer won't get you real numbers like the gas receipt and calculator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I haven't had my first fill up yet. I am still on the tank that was supplied to me when I got the car. So far I put 163 miles on the car and that used up 9 gallons of gas so I divided 163/9 = 18.1. I really hope it just has to do with the car being new because that number is really off compared to the estimate of what I'm supposed to get- 22 to 32 mpg city and 29 to 41 mpg highway. Thanks for your help and I will make sure to read through the other posts about mpg !

·
Registered
231 Posts
The dealer may not have filled the tank. I often go 50 miles before the needle falls to the Full line. Fill'er up yourself and calculate the mileage for each of the next 5 tanks. Then you'll have an idea of your current mpg. You have to average over several tanks or you risk short fills or long fills giving you bad test data.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm averaging 27.8 mpg after 7 tanks of fuel, and well over half of my miles are on the interstate. My most recent tank of gas was 90% interstate driving and I averaged 30.2 mpg on that tank.

Use Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG to track your mileage for a while... that's a pretty neat site.. and it's free...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have to agree, I average about 25-28 mpg in my soul. I can go a whole week (5 days) without a fill up and I drive 50-60 miles a day round trip.

·
Registered
97 Posts
32.1 MPG average for my 2012 1.6 M/T. I have driven over 8000 miles and am a "spirited" driver.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
No, I haven't had my first fill up yet. I am still on the tank that was supplied to me when I got the car. So far I put 163 miles on the car and that used up 9 gallons of gas so I divided 163/9 = 18.1. I really hope it just has to do with the car being new because that number is really off compared to the estimate of what I'm supposed to get- 22 to 32 mpg city and 29 to 41 mpg highway. Thanks for your help and I will make sure to read through the other posts about mpg !
How do you know it used up 9 gallons of fuel to do 163 miles, you are just guessing. You figure it uses this because you have a quarter tank left, so you figure when the gauge hits E its empty - that is not the case. You could still have another couple of gallons or more left in the tank. Follow ntron1 instructions and get back to us later and tell us what you get and the info will be more accurate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I filled up for the first time today and drove over 40 miles before the needle even moved. Thank you everyone for your feedback ! As I stated before, it was my first time buying a new car so I was worried about every little detail with it. But theres no worries now :)

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
glad we could help, now you can relax and enjoy it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I filled up for the first time today and drove over 40 miles before the needle even moved. Thank you everyone for your feedback ! As I stated before, it was my first time buying a new car so I was worried about every little detail with it. But theres no worries now :)
You'll notice the MPG going up slightly as the engine breaks in. My 2012 has had steadily increasing MPG over the last 3 tanks (just crossed 1000 miles), gaining just over 1 MPG in that time, with no significant change in my driving habits (~70% interstate going ~75 MPH, the rest on surface roads with stoplights going ~45).

·
Registered
1 Posts
O.K. guys...I purchased my 2012 Soul in January. I have nearly 3500 miles on it and only get 18 mpg average. Granted, this is calculated on mostly city miles, but it doesn't go up past 23 mpg on the hwy...ideas?? The dealership is claiming that there is nothing wrong with it...I beg to differ. I keep it in economy mode, and do not drive like a lunatic.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
O.K. guys...I purchased my 2012 Soul in January. I have nearly 3500 miles on it and only get 18 mpg average. Granted, this is calculated on mostly city miles, but it doesn't go up past 23 mpg on the hwy...ideas?? The dealership is claiming that there is nothing wrong with it...I beg to differ. I keep it in economy mode, and do not drive like a lunatic.
take it off Active ECO and see what happens. Are you using manual calculations or going off the computer? How long of a drive to do the highway mileage you claim? Reset the AVERAGE for different sections to narrow down where the poor mileage could be occurring.
You need to fill out your drives profile as we don't know which model you have and therefore which engine you are talking about.

I have not over 6700 km (4164 miles) and have done 14 fill-ups. The overall average is 8.4L/100 km or 33.8 mpg imperial or 28 mpg US. My average per tank full has improved since first purchase, also on the last two fill-ups the computer AVERAGE was worse than the hand calculation. I tracked a long distance run of nearly 300 km and my average was 7.0L/100 km (40.4/33.6) - none of that was using the Active ECO (just trying it again on the current tankful).

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
if you drive mostly city, but occassionally hop on the freeway for 15-20min every now and then, it isn't gna go anywhere lol.

i consistently avg 27-29 on trips under an hour. longer than that, 30+. this is at a constant speed (65mph). i avg 22-26 city driving, and have been since ownership.

so, how long are your hwy trips? and how frequent?

|sent from my HTC Inspire via AutoGuide app using Swiftkey 3. Pardon errors.|

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm on my 3rd full tank of gas. The car has less than 600 miles on it. 2012 + with 2.0. I mostly have driven in the city, some highway. I've never turned on the eco mode. I calculated the mileage myself. The first tank was 29mpg, the second was just over 24mpg.

·
Registered
79 Posts
On my 2012 4u burner, I get just over 500km per 40L fillup (a/c on most of the time). Mostly 70-130km/h driving. I got about the same on the 2011 manual 4u (without a/c on).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts