Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the new MT. They show the 2020 Soul 2.0/IVT 0-60 6.9 vs. 6.7 for the turbo. Quarter is similar, 15.2 @ 91.3 vs. 15.2 @ 92.9. Huh? Yet they say nothing about this in the text. Are the new IVTs THAT quick, or is this a typo?

The quickest I've seen for the 2.0 before is high eights for the sixty run. Is the IVT magic?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Take all the numbers with a grain of salt.
I've recorded 6.2 seconds 0-60 in my stock turbo gt-line on multiple runs, traction keeping me from going faster it seems. And I still get 36 mpg on average. 6.9 for the IVT does seem a bit on the optimistic side. Another source (zeroto60times) shows the GT-Line Turbo doing 6.4 to 60 and the X-Line (1.6/IVT) taking 8.1 seconds to get to 60, which seems more realistic.
Edit: ET's are 15.0 for the GT-Line Turbo, and 16.4 for the X-Line, on zeroto60times, I've seen 14.9 in my car. And for those curious, 6.4/15.0 is what they've tested the Stinger 2.0/RWD at ;)

·
Registered
6,066 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take all the numbers with a grain of salt.
I've recorded 6.2 seconds 0-60 in my stock turbo gt-line on multiple runs, traction keeping me from going faster it seems. And I still get 36 mpg on average. 6.9 for the IVT does seem a bit on the optimistic side. Another source (zeroto60times) shows the GT-Line Turbo doing 6.4 to 60 and the X-Line (1.6/IVT) taking 8.1 seconds to get to 60, which seems more realistic.
Edit: ET's are 15.0 for the GT-Line Turbo, and 16.4 for the X-Line, on zeroto60times, I've seen 14.9 in my car. And for those curious, 6.4/15.0 is what they've tested the Stinger 2.0/RWD at ;)
How do you time your car? Stopwatch, drag strip, or app? Thanks.

From MotorTrend Test:

In the 0-60 mph test, our naturally aspirated Soul clocked 8.3 seconds. On paper, that's a considerable drop from the 6.5 seconds it took the turbocharged model. But the little box car doesn't feel underpowered when cruising around town or entering the freeway.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/soul/2020/2020-kia-soul-x-line-20l-first-test-review/
The data panel must've been typos then. That's where I got the figures from, it's where I always go first when checking a road test. Obviously I missed that sentence you included, in my quick scan of the article.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
How do you time your car? Stopwatch, drag strip, or app? Thanks.

The data panel must've been typos then. That's where I got the figures from, it's where I always go first when checking a road test. Obviously I missed that sentence you included, in my quick scan of the article.
I agree Neanderthal. It's amazing how many data & factual errors car writers make. I cringe at times when I hear YouTube reviewers pop off rubbish information.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Boy! Those numbers really SUCK! I don't own a stopwatch, but I'm pretty sure that the zero to 60 on my little Jem is definitely better than that. I pull out onto the highway from my sub-division, put the hammer down, the first thing she does is squall the tires, and then in less than 300', she's passing 60 and headed for 80, and I'm saying WOAH GIRL!!! She's just a speeding ticket waiting for someplace to happen!

I just wonder what kind of car they are testing when they do those 0 to 60 runs. ??? I'd gladly invite those guys to come down here and use my Jem for their tests. I'm certain that their reviews would be a lot different.
Jem was broken in FAST, run hard and has been using Prolong Anti-Friction additive since day one. And, I don't even have my K&N Engine Air Cleaner yet!

Dang! This little car is FUN to drive!

:cool:

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
With an app and a g-tech meter. Even more important to me than the numbers though is that it's just plain fun to drive :)
That seems to be the word alot of us use: "fun." I still smile everytime I get out of mine.

Considering the first Kia SUV sold back in 1995, the Sportage, had a 0-60 time of 17+ seconds, the Soul is pretty fast.

I wonder with some EVs that can clock in around 3 seconds, if most people are even skilled enough to handle that thrust & how many will feel ill or pass out?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Boy! Those numbers really SUCK! I don't own a stopwatch, but I'm pretty sure that the zero to 60 on my little Jem is definitely better than that. I pull out onto the highway from my sub-division, put the hammer down, the first thing she does is squall the tires, and then in less than 300', she's passing 60 and headed for 80, and I'm saying WOAH GIRL!!! She's just a speeding ticket waiting for someplace to happen!

I just wonder what kind of car they are testing when they do those 0 to 60 runs. ??? I'd gladly invite those guys to come down here and use my Jem for their tests. I'm certain that their reviews would be a lot different.
Jem was broken in FAST, run hard and has been using Prolong Anti-Friction additive since day one. And, I don't even have my K&N Engine Air Cleaner yet!

Dang! This little car is FUN to drive!

·
Registered
21 Posts
No way the 2.0 IVT does 6.9 seconds.
My other car books at 6.9-7.2 depending which review I read and it feels substantially quicker than the Soul.
I’d estimate the Soul at mid 8s.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If I could talk to those guys who did that 0to60 test run, in the 2020 Soul with the 2.0L and IVT, I'd have a bunch of questions for them.
Just as a 'For Instance', I'd like to ask them, "Was the car (engine) right off the truck, or was it properly broken in?"
And, "What was the PSI in the four tires?"
Oh, there's more, but that's where I'd start.
And of course, MT doesn't tell us any of that critical data. As so often happens, the Devil is in the details.
That's why I pay almost zero attention to reviews in magazines.

But, it does make for some interesting conversations, as long as we keep it polite. Eh?

Now I'm just waiting for someone (anyone) to get off their opinions and suppositions and grab a Stop Watch and to out and test their own 2020 Soul. I'll be doing that myself, just as soon as I can get a Stop Watch and find someone to go with me to operate it. :)

Oh, and just for grins and giggles, I permanently disabled the Anti-Skid control on my car, today.
That danged thing almost got me killed once, and I'm not willing to give it a second chance.

Season's Greetings!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts