Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS) Flexible Coupling / Warranty Extension Notice?

26K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  cheesytoast98 
#1 ·
Anyone get this in the mail?

"Kia is extending the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage, to all owners of the 2012-2013 MY Soul, for the MDPS from 5 years/60k miles to 10 years/unlimited miles, starting from date of first service. The MDPS unit may experience noise when turning the steering left or right, especially while the vehicle is stopped."

What should you do?

If you experience noise when turning the steering wheel, contact the nearest authorized Kia dealer to have your vehicle diagnosed and repaired.

Warranty Extension Coverage:

• If, at any time within the extended warranty period, you experience a noise when turning the steering wheel left or right, especially while the vehicle is stopped, your authorized Kia dealership will diagnose the cause at no cost to you.
  • If the diagnosis indicates the condition is caused by premature wear of the MDPS Flexible Coupling, Kia will replace the MDPS Flexible Coupling at no cost to you.
  • This supplement to Kia's New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not alter the limitations and exclusions contained in that New Vehicle Limited Warranty including external damage to the MDPS Flexible Coupling.

See less See more
#4 ·
The MDPS unit may experience noise when turning the steering left or right, especially while the vehicle is stopped."

What should you do?
Well, for starters, stop steering when vehicle is stopped :D
Every person that drove a non-assisted steering car knows that you should roll a just little bit the car if you want to steer. Or you won't be able to do it, static friction of the rubber is 2x as strong.

Joking aside, I am so happy that I got a 2011! No recalls, no letters regarding the engine, no soy insulated wiring, just a nice car...

#5 ·
Hey Sonic, I was curious if the 2011 had the same kind of steering, or did it have hydraulics back then?

I miss the great feel of my 90 Acura with power assisted speed dependent hydraulic power steering.

#9 ·
A few months ago, I started getting the clicking sound when steering. They told me it's the steering coupling and it's out of warranty. I'm at 97,000 miles. Estimated at $260 to replace. I got the letter yesterday. I'm making my appointment tomorrow to get that taken care of and the engine recall taken care of.

#12 · (Edited)
I received the letter, and I had mine fixed at 74,000 miles. ($267.99!!). I'm very glad mama always taught me to keep my receipts - I'm about to submit for a reimbursement. It would be great if works out as easy as it sounds :)

ETA: so I tried to submit online, and once i FOUND where to do it, I filled in the form, and got to the "campaign/warranty extension program" and it's a drop-down. And wouldn't you know, this one does not show up. there's no where to type it in, and it is a required field. I called, and the folks I've spoken to have been friendly, but finally came up with "My suggestion is to go ahead and mail the form in with snail mail". Yeah, that's what I was trying to avoid...

I am going to wait until next week, maybe if enough people are trying to do this, they will upload this as a choice.
But then I'll go ahead and do snail mail. I just hate when a letter says "go ahead and do it online", and then I can't, and the customer service folks have no answer :(

#18 ·
I'm in the same boat. Had mine replaced in May, with only 37k on the clock. Was told there was NO warranty coverage so paid $280 to the dealer. When I went back for the (Engine overheating) Recall, dealer seemed upset that I had just bought new tires elsewhere. Wait until he finds out I won't be buying from him again . . .
Haven't received a letter -- Anyone have an address to 'Snail Mail' a refund request from Kia?

#16 ·
Mine made a sound that sounded like a small "clunking" - mostly in situations where I've pulled into a parking space,t hen go to turn the wheel to straighten, and there's a tiny bit of play, and then a clunk. Not loud, didn't sound like my car was going to fall apart at all, but it sounds like you are describing the same type of sound. I didn't actually bring it in for that, I was in for other service, and they let me know about it.

#17 ·
Since the warranty extension is calling to replace the MDPS flexible coupling, it's this part that you'll need replacing.

Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel Auto part Plant

And here's a video of the sound you'll hear if the coupling is bad/chewed up (it's from a Hyundai, but most likely very similar, if not the same part):

#19 · (Edited)
WTF Hyundai/Kia, you put the electrical motor by the steering wheel?
That means transmitting the whole force/torque trough the same steering column assembly that on previous models (hydraulic steering) was transmitting only 1/10 of it (hand force)? No wonder they will be strained!

PS: The main torque on hydraulic system is applied inside the rack and pinion itself.

#23 ·
As an update: I filed a claim on the Owner's portal and they provided a case Number. About 2-3 days later, I got a call saying that I needed to add a photocopy of the PAID repair invoice as the page I submitted only detailed what work was done and the prices, but didn't show that I had paid.
They said to just "Add" the scan to my original Case -- BUT -- Low and behold, the Original case was CLOSED! Instead, I opened another Case (with a New Number), attached BOTH the Original and the Requested documents and then referenced the Original Case Number. I've received acknowledgement of their receipt, but no further communication. The guy on the phone said that it would take about 45 'Business Days'.
BUT, then again, he's the same guy that told me to "ADD" the document to the Original Case Number, so ---o_O

#25 ·
Can someone please email me a copy of this letter, please? My daughter is using our Kia 2013 Soul at college and is having this issue. And, we have yet to get the letter. Your help is appreciated! Thank you!
To ncole@beaconcollege.edu. Thank you!
If you haven't already paid to have the repair done, you shouldn't need the letter to have the warranty repair performed. Any Dealer should honor the Warranty extension.

#26 ·
UPDATE:
I got my check!!!
I started the whole process in May (I believe - right when the letter came out). Opened a case online, but then mailed in the form. Waited a while and called, case was closed, they didn't have my form. They re-opened the case for me, and told me to attach the form and receipt to that case as a note. I did that. Within a day I received a call confirming they had it, and they were also verifying I was only looking for that portion of the receipt to be refunded (I joked that they could refund everything I did that day - it was one of those "big maintenance services", they laughed - LOL!). Waited a while (60 days?). Called again. Apparently it got routed to the wrong place. This rep re-routed it and said "but unfortunately it will be another 60 days).
LO AND BEHOLD!!! I received a check this week!!! Yay me!!!! (even more than the portion of the receipt. I can't figure out how they arrived at their number, but I'm not complaining!)

#28 ·
I was curious if anyone knows "why" this only affects 2012-13 MY?

Did anyone glean any information from Kia on if they changed the design after 2013? That gear looks kind of like a weak link in the system, or were the factory ones defective?

#29 ·
"I was curious if anyone knows "why" this only affects 2012-13 MY?"
It's my understanding that the later years -- 2014 -and on, were covered by recall, and / or warranty extension. Kia only recently added coverage to the 2012 & 2013. Other models of Kia were ALREADY covered that far back (2012), but for some reason, Kia dragged their feet on including the earlier Souls.
FYI -- MY check arrived in today's (27 December) mail! They covered the cost of the repair ($280) AND the charge for "Incidentals" (Shop Supplies, etc), so my check was for $330.05.
Never did receive a 'Warranty Extension' Notification Letter, though!!

#30 ·
Also, FYI -- After the Dealer repaired / replaced the coupler, my remote door Lock / Unlock and my Cruise Control stopped working. BOTH were After-market mods that I added. The Lock / Unlock turned out to be a partly unplugged wiring harness which was easy enough to fix once I dropped the plastic underdash cover. Haven't trouble shot the Cruise yet, as I only discovered it was inoperative this week.
It's much more than cost that makes me 'Dealer Shy'!!!!

#31 ·
PPPS --- :rolleyes:
Read somewhere that deterioration of the coupling is accelerated by hot and humid conditions. Hopefully, the compound used for the replacement couplings has been modified to account for that weakness! Dealer service writer told me that mine was one of the worst they had seen -- but it was no where near as bad as the one in the video.
After waiting over a month with NO further response, I added ANOTHER 'Note' to my second Case # and received a call requesting further info. They wanted a copy of my 'Letter' and I told them I never received one. They asked if was sure that I was covered and I replied, "Original owner since purchased new. Bought and housed in Florida since then. Soul has only covered 37,000 miles and repair was performed by a Kia dealer -- So, YEAH, I'm SURE my vehicle qualifies!"

#32 ·
Anyone get this in the mail?

"Kia is extending the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage, to all owners of the 2012-2013 MY Soul, for the MDPS from 5 years/60k miles to 10 years/unlimited miles, starting from date of first service. The MDPS unit may experience noise when turning the steering left or right, especially while the vehicle is stopped."

What should you do?

If you experience noise when turning the steering wheel, contact the nearest authorized Kia dealer to have your vehicle diagnosed and repaired.

Warranty Extension Coverage:

• If, at any time within the extended warranty period, you experience a noise when turning the steering wheel left or right, especially while the vehicle is stopped, your authorized Kia dealership will diagnose the cause at no cost to you.

• If the diagnosis indicates the condition is caused by premature wear of the MDPS Flexible Coupling, Kia will replace the MDPS Flexible Coupling at no cost to you.

• This supplement to Kia's New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not alter the limitations and exclusions contained in that New Vehicle Limited Warranty including external damage to the MDPS Flexible Coupling.

#35 ·
I did not get the letter. Therefore, I had to pay an auto shop close to $800 to fix that little bitty part. I still have it. All the sprocket nubs were just completely gone. It was crazy trying to drive at the posted speed limit of 70mph. I wish I'd known about the letter and possibly saved my self some money.