Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get this in the mail?

"Kia is extending the New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage, to all owners of the 2012-2013 MY Soul, for the MDPS from 5 years/60k miles to 10 years/unlimited miles, starting from date of first service. The MDPS unit may experience noise when turning the steering left or right, especially while the vehicle is stopped."

What should you do?

If you experience noise when turning the steering wheel, contact the nearest authorized Kia dealer to have your vehicle diagnosed and repaired.

Warranty Extension Coverage:

• If, at any time within the extended warranty period, you experience a noise when turning the steering wheel left or right, especially while the vehicle is stopped, your authorized Kia dealership will diagnose the cause at no cost to you.
  • If the diagnosis indicates the condition is caused by premature wear of the MDPS Flexible Coupling, Kia will replace the MDPS Flexible Coupling at no cost to you.
  • This supplement to Kia's New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not alter the limitations and exclusions contained in that New Vehicle Limited Warranty including external damage to the MDPS Flexible Coupling.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The MDPS unit may experience noise when turning the steering left or right, especially while the vehicle is stopped."

What should you do?
Well, for starters, stop steering when vehicle is stopped :D
Every person that drove a non-assisted steering car knows that you should roll a just little bit the car if you want to steer. Or you won't be able to do it, static friction of the rubber is 2x as strong.

Joking aside, I am so happy that I got a 2011! No recalls, no letters regarding the engine, no soy insulated wiring, just a nice car...

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Hey Sonic, I was curious if the 2011 had the same kind of steering, or did it have hydraulics back then?

I miss the great feel of my 90 Acura with power assisted speed dependent hydraulic power steering.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well, for starters, stop steering when vehicle is stopped :D
Every person that drove a non-assisted steering car knows that you should roll a just little bit the car if you want to steer. Or you won't be able to do it, static friction of the rubber is 2x as strong.

Joking aside, I am so happy that I got a 2011! No recalls, no letters regarding the engine, no soy insulated wiring, just a nice car...
Non assisted what now? You're dating yourself.
You can make up for it with gearing. Just turn the wheel about 2 full circles for a 90 degree turn. :victorious:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Non assisted what now? You're dating yourself.
You can make up for it with gearing. Just turn the wheel about 2 full circles for a 90 degree turn. :victorious:
All passenger cars have two and something turn gearing. But when you don't have assist, the static friction is VERY hard to break. That makes you think about the strain on all the components in the steering chain, even when you have assist on.
I have tried to drill that in my kids heads too - don't turn when wheel is not moving and stop hitting the ends of the rack.
Also, even the Kia Soul manual (with EPS) states:

"When the vehicle is stationary, when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the left or right continuously, the steering wheel becomes harder to turn. The power assist is limited to protect the motor from overheating. As time passes, the steering wheel return to its normal condition."

·
Registered
33 Posts
A few months ago, I started getting the clicking sound when steering. They told me it's the steering coupling and it's out of warranty. I'm at 97,000 miles. Estimated at $260 to replace. I got the letter yesterday. I'm making my appointment tomorrow to get that taken care of and the engine recall taken care of.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I received the letter, and I had mine fixed at 74,000 miles. ($267.99!!). I'm very glad mama always taught me to keep my receipts - I'm about to submit for a reimbursement. It would be great if works out as easy as it sounds :)

ETA: so I tried to submit online, and once i FOUND where to do it, I filled in the form, and got to the "campaign/warranty extension program" and it's a drop-down. And wouldn't you know, this one does not show up. there's no where to type it in, and it is a required field. I called, and the folks I've spoken to have been friendly, but finally came up with "My suggestion is to go ahead and mail the form in with snail mail". Yeah, that's what I was trying to avoid...

I am going to wait until next week, maybe if enough people are trying to do this, they will upload this as a choice.
But then I'll go ahead and do snail mail. I just hate when a letter says "go ahead and do it online", and then I can't, and the customer service folks have no answer :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is what I would like to know also. I always hear what sounds like a spring slowly compressing most times when I turn the wheel when moving slowly. Is that the sound?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So what does a bad coupling sound like?

I can jiggle my steering wheel and it sounds like loose plastic or something clicking each time
Mine made a sound that sounded like a small "clunking" - mostly in situations where I've pulled into a parking space,t hen go to turn the wheel to straighten, and there's a tiny bit of play, and then a clunk. Not loud, didn't sound like my car was going to fall apart at all, but it sounds like you are describing the same type of sound. I didn't actually bring it in for that, I was in for other service, and they let me know about it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Since the warranty extension is calling to replace the MDPS flexible coupling, it's this part that you'll need replacing.

OEM-563152K000FFF-Steering-Column-MDPS-Rubber.jpg

And here's a video of the sound you'll hear if the coupling is bad/chewed up (it's from a Hyundai, but most likely very similar, if not the same part):

·
Registered
167 Posts
I received the letter, and I had mine fixed at 74,000 miles. ($267.99!!). I'm very glad mama always taught me to keep my receipts - I'm about to submit for a reimbursement. It would be great if works out as easy as it sounds :)

ETA: so I tried to submit online, and once i FOUND where to do it, I filled in the form, and got to the "campaign/warranty extension program" and it's a drop-down. And wouldn't you know, this one does not show up. there's no where to type it in, and it is a required field. I called, and the folks I've spoken to have been friendly, but finally came up with "My suggestion is to go ahead and mail the form in with snail mail". Yeah, that's what I was trying to avoid...

I am going to wait until next week, maybe if enough people are trying to do this, they will upload this as a choice.
But then I'll go ahead and do snail mail. I just hate when a letter says "go ahead and do it online", and then I can't, and the customer service folks have no answer :(
I'm in the same boat. Had mine replaced in May, with only 37k on the clock. Was told there was NO warranty coverage so paid $280 to the dealer. When I went back for the (Engine overheating) Recall, dealer seemed upset that I had just bought new tires elsewhere. Wait until he finds out I won't be buying from him again . . .
Haven't received a letter -- Anyone have an address to 'Snail Mail' a refund request from Kia?

·
Registered
550 Posts
WTF Hyundai/Kia, you put the electrical motor by the steering wheel?
That means transmitting the whole force/torque trough the same steering column assembly that on previous models (hydraulic steering) was transmitting only 1/10 of it (hand force)? No wonder they will be strained!

PS: The main torque on hydraulic system is applied inside the rack and pinion itself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Had mine replaced in May, with only 37k on the clock. Was told there was NO warranty coverage so paid $280 to the dealer. When I went back for the (Engine overheating) Recall, dealer seemed upset that I had just bought new tires elsewhere. Wait until he finds out I won't be buying from him again . . .
Haven't received a letter -- Anyone have an address to 'Snail Mail' a refund request from Kia?
Snail mail didn't work, even though I sent the reimbursement form to the address on it.
I finally called and was directed to upload it on the Kia Owners portal on their website. (I finally got a call that they were going to put my reimbursement through...almost a month ago. I thought that since they called, I'd get it quickly... NOT)
I would suggest two options:
call their customer service, and ask for the reimbursement for the "Motor Driver Power Steering Warranty Extension Program - WTY013" and go from there
800-333-4KIA(4542)Monday – Friday: 5:00 AM to 6:00 PM PST
Saturday – Sunday: Closed / US Public Holidays: Closed

OR
Go to the owners portal on the Kia Website and submit a note. You will get a case#. I'd give it a little time to work through the system, but if you don't get a response, then call the customer service number above, and at least now you have a case # that they can read with all of your details so you don't have to explain it again and again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts