Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a headlight cleaning kit awhile back to clean the lens on my old grand marquis. I just wanted to show everyone the results in case someone was looking for a cleaning kit. It was the first time I had ever used it, and although it did not look like a brand new light, I was surprised at how well it did work, cause I wasn't expecting much.

I don't see too many soul owners needing something like this yet, but maybe some members with higher mileage might need it. My soul lights are still crystal clear, and my marquis is 18yrs old so it might be awhile before the soul needs it.

The kit comes with some fine grit sand paper pads to use on really bad lights, but I didn't use it.

Here's the kit
http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B00341MIAW

Some pics:

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Consumers Reports did a test on headlight restoration kits in the March issue. They tested
- Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit
- 3M Headlight Lens Restoration System 29008
- Turtle Was Headlight Lens Restorer
- Fast Brite Auto Headlight Restorer Kit

Bottom line - the Sylvania provided the best and longest-lasting results; 3M, though trickier to use, provides similar performance at a lower price. The Turtle Was kit costs less than half the cost of the Sylvania, but neither the Turtle Wax or the Fast Brite held up as well as the other two.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. Like I said it was my first time ever using it, so I don't know if those other brands would work better or not. I'm pretty happy with the results of the Mothers though, plus it was super easy to do.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have just started using (new product ?) Meguiars headlight protectant on my 2010 Soul Sport to prevent yellowing from UV rays and to keep the headlights crystal clear (I hope).

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
I owned a Rondo for four years and the lens were as clear when I traded it as when I purchased it new.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^I haven't driven it at night yet, it really just sits in the driveway, probably gonna sell it.They were really bad though, drove with the high beams alot of the time. I already had the cleaner from a year or so ago cause I never got around to cleaning them, figured it'd be good to know if it actually worked, plus I don't mind testing it on the old beater..lol

^^I haven't seen anything like that, that you use to keep it clear other than vinyl, seems like agood idea to keep the souls lights in tip top shape. I'll look for that in the store.

^Ford's always seemed to have the worst plastic on there lights, dull really quickly on most, the kia and hyundai lights seem to be much better.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
^Ford's always seemed to have the worst plastic on there lights, dull really quickly on most, the kia and hyundai lights seem to be much better.
Chevy Cavaliers weren't that great either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used the Sylvania kit on my 04 Grand Prix and will never use another brand again. I had tried the 3M and Meguiars and they started to get hazy/yellow again within a few months. Been over a year with the Sylvania kit and they still look brand new. They Sylvania kit actually comes with a clear coat that goes on as the final step where most of the other kits just remove the old clear coat (which is what yellows and/or gets hazy) and polishes the plastic until it is clear without reapplying any sort of protection.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I used the 3M kit (still have it somewhere) on my Ford (now dead of course lol) a few times. I have to admit it did an excellent job and brought the headlights back up. They did however fade yellow again within a few months. Just reapply and good as new again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts